iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4th tallest red oak in Pa. blew over last Thuesday

Started by murphy4trees, June 27, 2010, 12:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphy4trees

I had just been on the 25 acre property on Tuesday, cleaning up a large storm damaged ash limb.. The owner of this property has lived there fro 40 years and knows and loves every tree on it..

At last measure this red oak was 137' tall, but that was at least a couple years ago, so it probably was 140+... Didn't really look that big because it was not that wide in DBH... almost no taper to the first limb at 70-80', and no sign of any decay in the trunk... the root plate lifted... 34 other trees went down with it... a bunch of nasty big 110'+ widow makers... a real war zone...
anyhow, I'd say this is veneer wood if anything is... how can I fiind a top $ buyer? This guy needs the money to help clean up the woods.. He intends to clean up every downed tree.. that is just the way he is...

fishpharmer

It's a shame they blew over.  Have you got any pics? or should we wait for the movie?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Kevin

Depends on the demand in your area, I couldn't give it away for lumber here but I could give it away for fire wood.
If I cut and split it then it would sell.

thecfarm

That wood was worth ALOT more standing than the mess it is now. Takes ALOT longer to deal with trees fell over and hung up. It's dangerous work.The logger really has no idea what could happen. Some of those trees bent over have some stress to them.Will affect the way the trees saw out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DRB

As was stated the tree lost a lot of value when it blew over. It is now salvage and unless it is cut quick no veneer buyer will want it. Still may make a great saw log. Depends if it got splits or cracks in it from the blow down.  Work fast to find a buyer and get it out of the woods ASAP.  Sounds like a real shame but it happens.

Thank You Sponsors!