iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine needle fungus

Started by kelLOGg, June 24, 2010, 05:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

This fungus? is growing on a mature pine next to my deck? What causes it and what should I do about it?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

This must be unusual stuff. My Ag Extension agent made some educated guesses at it but he really wasn't really sure and reading about the possibilities which were: 1. either physical injury resulting in sap dripping and hardening; pine sap is white when it dries. Or 2. one of the "wooly" insects (aphids, adelgids, mealybugs, etc.)
but none matched my reading on the subject. The white in the photo is fluffy and resembles cotton.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

RynSmith

Have you thought about contacting the forestry department and NC State?  I don't recall ever hearing about woollys on pines, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  ;D

DanG

Must be Deck Fungus. ::) :D  I have the same stuff growing on a pine beside my deck.  It is only on one branch, the closest one to the deck, and is hanging about 7 feet from the ground.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JimTwoSticks

Leaning towards one of the Pine adelgids or some type of wooly aphid. Either way if you grab a small pile of the fluffy stuff and squish it you should find some bug guts.
I doubt it's a fungus.
Is the dryer vent right next to the branch??? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!