iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

House of Fallen Timbers

Started by Fallen Timbers, June 23, 2010, 05:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fallen Timbers

Hello All
I've been lurking for a few weeks now and decided to jump in today. I'm building a tiny log cabin out dead trees and found materials trying to spend as little money as possible. My girlfriend thinks its pretty entertaining watching me sling logs around, break tools and sweat like a dog. ;D I have no experience and this forum has been a big help for ideas and examples of what I should be doing. I'm journaling my project on my blog, http://houseoffallentimbers.blogspot.com/. Check it out when you need a good laugh.

As you can see I did a really poor job on the foundation and I understand now that if I want a cabin to last I need to make much more substantial provisions for the foundation. Maybe next time.

Thats OK. I'm learning from my mistakes and having a blast building my first little cabin.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and share some photos from my blog hope you enjoy them and hope to make some new friends.

My first split log.

My first piece of porch furniture.

Scraping the bugs and mud off the salvaged decking from an old bridge.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Hang around here a little while and you'll have plenty of friends!

This is a good place to learn anything that has to do with wood!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Well, good for you and Welcome to The Forestry Forum.   Someday, I really want to build a log cabin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Welcome!  Thanks for posting pics and introducing yourself.  I look forward to seeing more pictures as you continue the work.

isawlogs

Nice job , alls that is needed is a few rocks under you logs to get them off the ground and it would last a life time.  :) 8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jander3

Welcome.  You can do a great deal with materials obtained for free.

ErikC

That was a nice introduction. I look forward to seeing more about your project. A lot of us are pretty good finders and scroungers around here. ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Fallen Timbers

Thanks for the welcome! 8)
I thought I had my profile set-up to recieve email notifications but I guess I need to work on that. Thanks again!

Fallen Timbers

Just stopping in to share the latest photos. I'm kind of embarrassed to show my work here compared to real cabin builders but I didn't want you to think I don't appreciate all the great examples and ideas you folks are sharing. Hope you enjoy the images.

Walls are just over five feet all the way around now.

This is the first ever photo taken from inside the cabin. I'm planning to wedge sticks into the gaps between the logs before using mortar to seal up the walls.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great info on this forum!

Magicman

One day after you get a roof up and replace that chair with a rocker,  you'll rock back, smile, and wonder what all of the rich folks are doing.  They certainly won't be enjoying the day like you will be.   ;) :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kenkayak

Please send pictures when you finnish this marvel of imagination!Welcome to the Forums./Kenkayak

Fallen Timbers

I sure will, and hopefully I'll have a rocker on that porch when I do.

Thanks so much!

WDH

Quite the ambitious project.  Looking good!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dovetails

I'm planning to wedge sticks into the gaps between the logs before using mortar to seal up the walls.

What I did with my house,is staple chicken wire between the logs where any big gaps
were, then mortor mix from inside & out.20 years later, still doing fine!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Coon

I would use stucco wire instead of chicken wire.  It's a little heavier and will hold more weight than the chicken wire.   ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Great job on posting pics. it has only taken me about 6 or 7 years to figure it out and then you do it on your first post.
Great job on the cabin, looking good.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

isawlogs

Have you given thought to insulating beteen the logs . I would put the wire on one side , stuff insulation between the logs and put wire on , then the ciment / stuco / permachink or what ever suits you .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fuzzybear

there are a great deal of miners cabins from the '98 gold rush still standing (sort of) built this way.  For insulation and to fill the gaps they used moss. Fast forward 100+ years and you need a sawsall and chisel to get them apart.
  Two of the 10x12 cabins I have built for mining camps were done with moss and at-50c they were very comfortable.   when we peal the moss up in July the ground underneath is still frozen.  When it dries and sets it turns to concrete like material. 
  Just thought I would throw that out as an idea for you.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Fallen Timbers

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Fallen Timbers

Thought I'd post the latest photo of the <a href="http://houseoffallentimbers.blogspot.com/">House of Fallen Timbers</a> for August.
Since the last update I finished the walls and stacked the purlins, gables and ridgepole. I've had a couple of nice weekends weather wise and it's a good thing. Stacking the purlins was a monumental job. I wanted to be sure and use good strong logs to support the roof but I don't have the know how to contrive a device for lifting so it was all elbow grease. Now to finish trimming up the gables and securing the salvaged sheet metal, then I can see if my found bags of concrete are still in usable condition for chinking. A friend of mine loaned me a copy of The Foxfire Book with a chapter on building log cabins and it confirmed my theory that sealing up the gaps in the walls with small scrap logs is a traditional time tested method. It even shows an example of a cabin that used concrete for chinking so that made me feel much better about my plan. Hopefully the September update will show a sealed up cabin with a finished roof!

http://houseoffallentimbers.blogspot.com

Magicman

I had wondered where you were.  Thanks for the update.  I see that you are moving right along.  What is the GF having to say now  ???

Coon

Seeing a project like this shows us clearly how much society takes for granted, with the use of techology.  Our forefathers lived that way why can't we do the same.... Many of the people today really have no clue about the finer things in life... Can't wait to hear about the day you finish the cabin and sit on the front porch watchin the sun go down from your little humble abode.   ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Fallen Timbers

Well the GF got me a new chain for the saw and a $25.00 gift card for Lowes for my birthday!  8)
I'm going to use the gift card to buy a ridge cap for the roof. One of the things that this project has changed about me for good is the way I look at trees. I have a whole new appreciation for them. It's amazing how strong they are and what diversity they have in characteristics. I'll never look at a forest the same after this summer.

Weekend_Sawyer

I like it, nice job. I want to build a hunting blind the same way except on my WV property there is very little flat ground.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Stephen1

chinking, I have seen a few sites, i think a mix of sand and lime is better, not sure, as it reheal's when it shifts and cracks versus mortar which is very hard, and doesn't move as much.
Welcome to forum, and as Magicman says you will enjoy your structure immensely...
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

RavioliKid

Fallen Timbers,

I am so impressed with your cabin. Your girlfriend is one lucky woman! I would love to build a log cabin, but I don't have the land.

I'm going to try to follow your blog, but for some reason I never remember to go look at them. Please come back here with updates. I am really interested in how you finish it. Your effort to use fallen timbers is intriguing.

Good luck!
RavioliKid

Fallen Timbers

Roof is on!
8)

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice!

Weekend_Sawyer

Don't forget to hang an old rusty jaw trap next to the door cause that sure looks like a trappers cabin  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Fallen Timbers

fishpharmer

Fallen Timbers, outstanding job on the cabin.  That's cool.  I am a little late but glad to have you on the forum, welcome.  Great blog too.  The Sesame Street log cabin video almost made cabin building look simple.  I know there's a lot of hard work involved.  Anyone would be proud to have a cabin like yours. 8) 8)  I enjoyed the trappers cabin video you posted on here.

Coon, you made a fantastic point about how society in general takes so much for granted (me included). 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fallen Timbers

Thank you! I'm glad to hear you enjoy the blog. It started out as a brag book to share with my folks who can't come see the cabin but I've turned it into a monster   horn_smiley

Magicman

I know that you are planning on using sticks for your chinking base, and cement, but I saw someone using pipe insulation for a base, and spray foam the other day.  A bit more flexible, but also more expensive.

Anyway, you are looking   :o  good.    :)

Fallen Timbers

Well Magicman, I did decide to use spray foam on the interior. It's not so bad once you trim and sand it, you can stain it then and it looks pretty decent. I will probably do some more mudding on the exterior but for now I'm busy foaming up the insides to get it sealed up for winter. My cousin donated an old kerosene heater to keep me warm this fall while I stain the foam. Pretty much I'm calling the cabin finished, at least to my original standards. Next summer I might build a stone fireplace ... who knows. Anyway in celebration I made a little slideshow of the whole thing. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpqNU62CJM

isawlogs

That is real nice , should not be to hard to stay warm in there . Can you put a few pics of the inside ???

Marcel

Fallen Timbers

Sure thing, I haven't taken very many from inside yet but I'll work on that. Here is a detail of the foam and the paneling I put up on the interior gables. I'll try to get some better ones over the weekend.

The foam looks better once you sand and stain it.

8)

Fallen Timbers

Finally got some photos to share of the interior!
Here's the kitchen. ;)

This is the living room. ;D

And here's the washroom.  :)

That old perfection oil heater belonged to my cousin who died at the age of 92 in 1989. While I was cleaning it I found a date on the wick cap, 1926. Still works like a champ!  8)

Magicman

I like the look but without insulation that roof is probably going to sweat when it's cold outside and you fire up that heater.

Fallen Timbers

Thanks for the tip Magicman.
I was thinking of shoving some foam board insulation between the purlin logs for insulation but I think the heater would melt it. Would the whole roof need insulation to prevent sweating or could I just insulate that corner, what material would you recommend?

Magicman

BTW, I wasn't implying that I didn't like what you have done, because I do.   :)

The dewpoint occurs where warm meets cold, which in your situation could be bad.

To maintain that look inside, what about furring above the roof.  Lay your insulation down, and then a new roof on top.  That roof could extend a few inches beyond the existing roof and a fascia would cover the insulation around the edges.  Your existing roof would become your ceiling and you would not have to do anything or change anything inside.

Just a thought.  Others may suggest something different.

Fallen Timbers

Hey
I like the idea of extending the roof a few inches! What do you think of sod? What if I built a couple of "cage" kind things to put on each side of the top and unrolled some sod in them, would that act like insulation? I think it would look cool to have grass growing on it. Anyway, I like where your going.
Thanks!

isawlogs

Before putting sod up there , might want to check for weight, I aint too sure your walls will take the weight.

Marcel

Fallen Timbers

:D Good point!
I've been thinking about it and I really like Magicman's idea. I could extend the roof out over the porch that way.  8)

Fallen Timbers

Merry Christmas gang!
Just wanted to stop by and post a photo of the first snow fall on the cabin!

Hope you all have a wonderful Holiday Season.

D Hagens

Excellent pic! That would make a great Christmas card. :) :) I really like your cabin, looks like home. :) :)

Magicman

Quote from: D Hagens on December 09, 2010, 12:01:10 PMThat would make a great Christmas card.

My thoughts exactly !!!  Thank you for taking and sharing that picture.

What is the GF saying now?

jander3

beenthere

Jon
It must, hasn't melted the snow yet.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I think that it's the same temperature inside as outside.   :-\

Fallen Timbers

Thanks guys, it does hold some heat. On the day I took this picture I was able to get the cabin up to around 50 (outside temp of 20) after a couple of hours with the perfection oil heater running. Man I couldn't believe how rare kerosene has become. $4.50 a gallon and only one place in a thirty mile radius to buy it. I used to heat an apartment with a KeroSun heater back in the early  90s and every gas station had a pump for it. I finally found a Marathon station that still sells it in a little town about six miles from the cabin. I ordered a couple of new wicks for the heater through Tru-Value. Had to wait a week to get them and they cost $16.00 each! Hope they last a while at that price.  ::)

P.S. the GF is very impressed, her mother came over to take a look before it snowed.  ;D

clww

WAY COOL! ;) 8)
I love looking at all the pictures of the building in progress. You can be proud of all the work you put into this and what you accomplished.
I'm going to do my own, full-sized one starting in about two more years when we retire. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bill Gaiche

Can anyone remember that Kero or Coal Oil is what we called it was 8 cents per gal? I can! What has happened anyway? Attwoods has sold it for about $25 for a five gallon can the last time I looked. bg

Fallen Timbers

Thanks clww!
Glad you enjoyed watching the progress. Magicman was right about the roof sweating.
and I'm with Bill on the price of Kerosene! :o

Thank You Sponsors!