iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planing Cost $

Started by Stephen1, June 23, 2010, 11:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Hi Guys, I have a few thousand bd ft of lumber to mill.
pine 3/4" by radom 6-7-8 wide
cedar 3/4" by radom 6-7-8 wiide
I have been qouted 25cents a linear ft
or $75 hr to run it thru the planer
How do I compare the costs or do I.?
the linear ft is easy obviously
but the hourly rate has me asking this ?
what would be the best way/
I want to plane the wood either T & G or ship and lap for a ceiling-pine.   cedar walls in my sauna/washroom all in mty cabin.
As always comments are appreciated
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

rph816

By planing do you mean just planing the two faces flat?  If so 25 cents a LF sound WAY high, the $75 and hour isn't bad for any shop/machine time.  If you are talking about planing both faces and profiling the edges the 25 cent figure sounds a little closer.  Depends on what type of maching the shop is running.  Big molders could run this through at 30-60 LF/min with the right setup.  More info might be useful.

Ryan

Stephen1

I am wanting to turn it into T&G or ship & lap, to be used as paneling inside the building...
pine on the ceiling
cedar on the walls in the Bathroom/sauna
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

red oaks lumber

.25 lf seems high  thats somewhere around $500/th. we plane  t&g shiplap ect. i charge by the b.foot.  if they will do it by the hour how many hours will it take? to give you an example we t&g 1x6 at 1260b.f./hour and charge .16/b.f.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brucer

Friend of mine has started a timber-framing business. He has a 15HP single head thickness planer and is offering to plane timbers for my customers. His price is $0.50 per BF, ($500 per thousand).

I did a little math on this for him. Planer feed rate is 24 ft/min. Using my most common timber as an example -- 8x8x12' I come up with the following.

64 BF = $32.
48 LF (4 passes) works out to $0.75 per foot.
At 24 ft/min the planer will be planing for all of 2 minutes -- but ...
  - it will take 2 minutes per pass to return the timber to the other side of the planer.
  - there will be at least 2 thickness adjustments per timber -- say another 2 minutes.
  - the timber has to be maneuvered to the planer and taken away when it is done -- say 3 minutes each way.
  - so we're looking at 20 minutes per timber to process -- about $96/hour.

at the other end of the scale, planing 1x6x12'

6 BF = $3.00
48 LF (4 passes) works out to $.06 per foot.
2 minutes planing time, wood moved in bulk to and from the planer and from outfeed back to infeed. No adjustments until the batch is finished. About 15 seconds per pass to start board and receive it at the back end (working alone). Altogether about 3 minutes per piece -- about $60/hour.

Average the two types of work and you get $78 per hour on average.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Stephen1

Thanks guys...always good to see some comments here.
The shop charging $75 hr. is running a Logosol planer
The other shop I need to ask what he is using.

moeh1

Have you thought about how you are going to match up random width stock, that can get to be a pain unless you have lengths long enough to cover whatever you are doing with one board... Twenty x cent range around here for planing.

Stephen1

I have stacked most of the lumber according to width....but it is still mixed in the bundle, by the row.
Will I have to sort it before I take it, or can it be seperated before it goes thru the planer?
How close to the width set up does it have to be?
If the planer is set for 6" T&G will a board 6 1/4" go thru?

Cedarman

Our planer only planes one face, but we cut run multiple boards at once making sure to avoid kickback that occurs once every 2 years or so, but it happens.  A moulder needs a straight uniform width board, but can surface or mould all 4 sides in one pass.  We straight line on our woodmizer.   So, a planer can run any width as long as it is narrow enough to fit the infeed, while a moulder needs  uniform boards.  Run all one width, change mouler set up, run next width and so on.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!