iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

getting started

Started by laffs, June 22, 2010, 07:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laffs

i got my slab done for my shop/saw shed its a full 6" 28 x30
my post and beams are 8x8 and have been sawed and stacked for a year. all pine.
my question would be about my sills. im thinking i can use 2x8 lagged to the slab with stub tennon gravity holding the whole thing in place .
any opinnions on this ?
brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Jim_Rogers

Normally the frame has been designed before hand and the post locations are known in advance.
And before the concrete is poured some straps have been embedded in the concrete to wrap up around the pressure treated mud-sill and are available to be attached to the side of the post, to then be hidden by the siding.

This is just to insure that the frame doesn't shift, due to some un-foreseen event:

And un-foreseen event could be something like a truck backing into the side of the shed/workshop, snow sliding off the roof, wind storm, tornado, and the list goes on....

What you have planned will work, but adding more than just gravity would be better.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

laffs

the strap sounds good il add that under the sill , the sill is going to be continuous. thanks
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

sunny1

You can take some 1/4'' x 6'' flat stock and have it bent to 90 degrees and use GRK
concrete screws into the concrete and GRK structural screws into the post.
I always use a treated block the same size as the post, to keep it off the concrete.
6'' on concrete and 12'' up the post works good.

Jim_Rogers

sunny1:
welcome to the forum....

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

routestep

The posts on this barn I'm working on have three inch stub tenons. I'm going to use either pegs or lag bolts on them through the side of the sills an into the tenons. Hopefully the tenons won't be damaged during the raising, they are longer that general.

Thank You Sponsors!