iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watermellon

Started by fiddle1, June 21, 2010, 11:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddle1

i had an event recently that facilitated the need to cut 40 watermellons!!!

Seedless was the way to go! found best price in town and made the haul.
i off loaded them from shopping cart to plastic handled bins which i then
was able to haul four at time into the kitchen. SUPER HEAVY but doable.

Then i got to the cutting.....

this was actually much more scary than youd think-

slideing mellons and knives on a wet countertop-----was not my idea of fun.
the stress of holding this heavy thing still long enough to cut it.

picked the stem end to cut first  the way i did it was to take a long knife and cut one end of the watermellon to make a flat surface so it wouldnt slide----cut just into the red layer!

using a two handled rocking pizza cutter i split the mellon in two halves--fingers completely out the way!!!!! straight split---- straight down onto a cutting board.  -i then cut it lengthwise both sections and then widthwise into 1/4 sections about 1 inch thick using a smaller knife. 

Then very carefully arranged the slices  on foil trays.  The foil trays were flimsy and keeping it cold and in a deep cooler was made easier by the use of cafeteria trays underneath each one.

took a rolling cart and placed each tray on it to take out.

Huge HIT!
worked great no mess! Still have all my fingers!
:- )

8)

Tom

You did good.  It's hard to go wrong when entertaining with Watermelon.   Especially.....  with a young or old crowd.  :D

Samuel

I love watermelon..especially with a sprinkle of salt.  I found the kids enjoy eating it even more when I cut up the entire Mellon and remove all of the rind.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Burlkraft

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm watermelon........

It'll be a while before we have any locally grown mellons.

I can't wait!  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

CHARLIE

I like salt on my watermelon too!  When I was a young squirt (Tom was too), I remember that these huge stripped watermelons were 10ยข each.  I vividly remember a huge wagon sitting across the street from the Piggly Wiggly grocery store stacked high with huge melons.  I remember the ritual of my granddaddy buying a watermelon too.  I stood in awe as he thumped this one and that one and the man selling them would even cut him a plug to taste.  Those melons were always ripe and so sweet. 8) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

fishpharmer

I just love watermelon.  I guess everyone in my family does. 
The Mississippi melons are starting to hit the farmer's markets and roadsides.  Toward the end of the week most every major intersection in town will have  pickup truck load for sale in time for the Fourth.  I gotta remember to get a few. ;D

We got a seedless watermelon from Sam's last week that turned out good. I like to cut em after they have been in the fridge for a day. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fiddle1

best thing about buying watermellons is when the grocer calls and says

"could you use 40-50 mellons for the 4th of july?"

ya sure you betcha......

its really a wonderful thing. 
best of the pick.

:- )

Happy 4th everybody!
Fireworks have started and the music playing!

fishpharmer

I ran into some seedless watermelons today at a popular store for $2.81 each.   I had one in the fridge at home but couldn't resist. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!