iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air over hydraulic press

Started by sprucebunny, June 20, 2010, 09:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I want to build a hydraulic press. I see air/hydraulic ones using ordinary looking jacks and air line(s?) attached.

Does the jack need to have special ports or can I make something using one of the 2 jacks that I already have ???

Thanks for any help
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanG

I suppose you could convert an ordinary bottle jack to air/hydraulic if you had one of those little pulsating pumps to put on it.  Don't know where you would get one though.  I have one of those jacks from Harbor Freight, and the air part gave it up soon after the warranty was gone.  They are great for jacking up machinery because you don't have to be under there operating the jack.  I don't see a whole lot of need for one on a press unless you're going to use it an awful lot though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

Thanks, DanG. I didn't realize there was some other part ::) the only pictures I saw on the web, it just looked like my jack with an air line sticking out the back  :D

I found one for less than $100 delivered .

To start with, I have over 220 little plates 2.5" x5" that need to be pressed back into shape. Someone suggested a hammer but I don't think that's happening  :)

Hilltop366

A foot control is handy, Also a piece of  heavy screen between the press and you if there is any danger of the item you are pressing will pop out.

Don_Papenburg

Just noticed this topic . You can use air to operate a regular hydraulic cylinder .  But because air is at a lower pressure than most oil systems it would be better to have a small dia cylinder with a long ram filled with oil pushing into a larger dia. cylinder with shorter stroke .  the air piped into the small cylinder would force the oil into the press cylinder . You know the drill , multiply the force and all that . you should have what you need or the neighbor has .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Al_Smith

What you really need is called an intensifier .It's basically a large air cylinder on one side and a small hydraulic cylinder on the other using a common shaft .

mad murdock

Quote from: sprucebunny on June 20, 2010, 09:28:54 AM
I want to build a hydraulic press.

Thanks for any help
Sprucebunny, this link has complete plans for old projects, some for the shop, some for the yard, some for the garden, etc.  Great old ideas, that are still good today.  http://www.vintageprojects.com/workshop-general.html
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sprucebunny

Thanks, mad murdock ! That was a fun website  :)

Maybe I'll build a snowblower, next  ;D

Thanks to everyone for the info on intensifiers and stuff. I got all my little plates pressed, painted and back in place last summer.

These are the little plates before and after.

submarinesailor

Joan,

It looks like you have been steady at it.  How many more to go?  Is too many the correct answer................. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!