iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log stretcher

Started by Banjo picker, June 20, 2010, 09:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

The county brought 2 nice white oak logs out the other day 25 in and 26 in on the little end ....both are a little over 10 ft. long....Only problem they want 12 ft. long decking for a trailer.... :D  One log would have yielded the cut list they gave me....but oh well....You cant take back a saw cut...I am going to swap them a couple of smaller but longer logs to do their job....A log stretcher would be neat though wouldn't it...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Tim;  I heard a rumor somewhere, that there's a log stretcher for sale somewhere on the back side of the Black Hills of South Dakota! ;D ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

r.man

Log stretcher, board stretcher, summer air in your tires.......the list of torments goes on. Did the county guys think the logs were 12 ft long or were they just following orders?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Meadows Miller

Gday

:D :D :D :D Good One Tim  ;) :D ;D 8) Patent it Mate  ;) Every Sawmiller and Logger would buy one ;)  :D  Short Logs n Lumber and need to fill orders quick  ??? No Problem With the Patented Banjo LogNLumber Stretcher  ;) will increse recovery , reduce inventory and increse Profits by upto 20%  ;) :D :D :D ;D ;D

Nah you just cant get past it sometimes when people bring in stuff thats alittle short because they dont use a tape and measure with their feet which is alrite if your foots about a foot long like mine  ;) i use my foot on treelopping and small falling  jobs for my own logs i just go a step further as id rather be 10" too long that 2" short Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

paul case

i thouht you had come up with a stretcher  to move logs on like at the hospital. imagine my dissapointment.  
my butcher tells me he has people who want 4 different loin cuts and no round steaks . i was joking with him last time i took a beef in that we would like to have some pork chops outta him. he obliged by marking the pakages of brisket PORK CHOPS. guess i got what i had coming.  
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

Quote from: Chuck White on June 20, 2010, 09:51:11 AM

Tim;  I heard a rumor somewhere, that there's a log stretcher for sale somewhere on the back side of the Black Hills of South Dakota! ;D ;D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! 

If I could get the wife to go with me ...I think I would fire up the bike and go have a look for that sucker.... :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

I really dont know how they got their wires crossed r.man  ...They may have not had enough machine out there to pick up the whole 21' log....And somebody solved that problem before any body stopped them....

Hey there Chris  ;D  Long time no talk...I done what you were talking about...I was told that 12 would do it so I cut them 13....twenty six or seven ft...was about all the good wood in the log anyway....I had the log for a good long time ...about and inch of doddy wood then its good an solid....Only problem is I went out there to finish the job this evening and the mill would'nt hit a lick...I fussed with it a little but I am gona call Cooks tomorrow and get some place to start....It was running fine when I shut it off yesterday...Probably nothing too much....I will let you know what the prob...was...

Sorry to disappoint you there Paul....Getting them on the stretcher would be the problem...

Tim

paul case

i figgered that was the idea a stretcher to haul them out of the woods on but i couldnt picture it being better or easier than a log arch.  i carry them on the loader or skid them with tongs, but i have never been  able to make them longer by pulling on them. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

ljmathias

While you all work on the board-and-log stretcher, maybe we can get someone to work on the widener and thickener, for when you cut a board just a little too thin or it's got the famous thick-on-the-ends-and-thin-in-the-middle features that no one seems to want.  Wow, with all these neat new inventions coming off the forum, we could donate 10% of the profits and keep everyone happy!   ???

Someone mentioned happy Father's Day: let me add my wishes as well- hope all you fathers, fathers to be, father-in-laws and fathers in action if not in name had as great a day as I did- everyone here but the oldest son off with his family visiting her parents.  Big surprise: my youngest son's card to me was a picture of him, his wife and three kids but the caption on the inside said: "Card = $2, Picture = $0.20. Knowing there are more than 5 people in the picture = priceless!" What a great Father's Day gift!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Cedarman

We keep our log stretcher right next to the knot extractor which we use to upgrade #1 common to FAS.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ljmathias

Anybody got a grain re-orienter for converting rif into quarter sawn and related transformations?  Now that would be a handy device...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

paul case

i think magicman has some of those tools in his truck! pc
pc

Magicman

Quote from: paul case on June 21, 2010, 08:32:46 AM
i think magicman has some of those tools in his truck! pc 

Just let me leave for a week and now I'm being talked about.   :)  Some folks do call me "Gadgetman".  Especially that group that I was with last week.  If they didn't have something, they would always try looking  :o  in my tool box.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Magic- did my boys magically (sorry) find their way over to your toolbox?  Thought they only "borrowed" stuff from mine...  :)  At least they gave me a great Father's day present: picture of my son, his wife and three children with a caption that says "Priceless: picture of more than five people..."

Lj

Magicman

I have reflective orange tape on most of my larger (more expensive) stuff.  Not to keep it from walking off, but so they will know whose tool box to put it back into.    ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jtbartlett

I've been getting a lot of spam e-mail regarding log stretchers. I guess it makes 'em thicker and wider too.  Perhaps the fellas down at the county need these magic pills??  :D

Magicman

You could always lay the front ½ dozen across the trailer, and then the 10 footers would fit.  I did a 14' trailer that way and then finished decking it with 12' lumber.

Banjo picker

I got the mill running and got the lumber cut that they needed...What worries me is I didn't  really fix anything...I took the control panel cover off and removed the circut breaker ....heard a click ...tried the key and all is well for the present...The folks from Perkins were helpful and are sending me a new breaker even though they didn't have to...Tim

Magicman

I hate it when something fixes itself.  You always know that it's gonna come back, and generally at the wrong time.   >:(   Maybe that breaker will solve your problem.

Banjo picker

At least if that is the problem I will have the part....They picked up their lumber today...better than some customers... :D  Tim

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of the time when my grandfather and myself helped a fellow angler net his salmon he had hooked on his fly rod. He had hooked that fish and started walking down along the shoreline of the river until you could hardly see him down there. We pulled anchor and drifted down the river and got the fellow to climb in the boat. We netted the fish in about 5 minutes and it was pretty much dead from exhaustion. The current was strong in the river so he wasn't able to real it in from shore or was too afraid to "put the wood to it" as we say. Anyway, we had scales in the boat and weighed it. It was 20 lbs. This guy ran a pizza shop up river in the town of Woodstock and trying to make a story out of his big salmon he had caught. By the time the story got reconstituted that fish had grown another 6 inches and gained about 8 lbs in the freezer. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!