iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mixing green and seasoned lumber

Started by thinman56, June 14, 2010, 09:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinman56

I'm working on a plan for a screen porch, and I have some spruce, white pine, red oak and poplar logs that I have stacked awaiting an appointment with the local travelling sawyer.  I wanted to use some 6x6 posts, 4x6 beams and 3x6 rafters for the main frame pieces, but finish some of this off with dry 3/4" pine trim and cedar siding down low.

Guess my question is, how much will the green stuff shrink?  If I stand up a 7' 6x6 post, will it be an inch shorter a year from now?  I know none of this is cedar or redwood, but which of these woods would be best for the exposed timbers?

Thanks for any feedback,
Scott   

Tom

All I can tell you in generalities is that wood doesn't shrink much in length.  It shrinks across the grain.  Words used are longitudinally and Radially.

If you will look at the Wood handbook, a link is somewhere in the Knowledge base under wood and lumber, you will find some very defining charts for the shrinking percentages of some woods.   Carpenters who have dealt with green and rough cut woods in the past, have developed some techniques that allow them to compensate and allow the wood to move.

You'll get some better answers, but that might give you something to work on until they come.  :)

The knowledge base is in "forum extras" in the banner at the top of the page.

Thank You Sponsors!