iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut gun blanks

Started by Norm, October 29, 2003, 06:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We're going to be harvesting some walnut on our farm and would like to cut the crotches and root balls into gun blanks. Does anyone know what sizes these should be cut into? Also thinking about cutting some into turning blanks, could some of the turners here tell me how to prep them for sale to turners and what sizes you would need for bowls and other items. Thanks.

Norm

Frank_Pender

Norm, out here I have always sawed the stock blanks at 3 1/2  x 8  x 4'   Do not forget to end coat the logs and the blanks,  
Frank Pender

Larry

I cut the same size as Frank as it gives a little extra wiggle room when the blank is laid out.  If you can cut 11" wide planks you can get two blanks by reversing the butt and forend but that only works with straight grain wood.  If your plank is to short or narrow think about two piece stocks for shotguns.

A good reference book is "Gunstock Woods and Other Fine Timbers" by Virgil M. Davis.  Not to expensive and as far as I know about the only book in print right now with much on gunstocks.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dtody

A Google search on gunstock blanks will show you ways of setting the grain for good looks, give you sizes, and prices of the various qualities.

Might be worth looking at.

Frank_Pender

The first Walnut I sawed on my mill I profited of 3 grand just on blanks of stocks. 8)  then there was all of the additional lumber materials that were produced. ;D
Frank Pender

Norm

Thanks guys I appreciate your info. I did a search on Google before I posted this but sometimes you get more info than you need from searches. Most showed gun stocks already made up and very few blanks.

I used to hunt with a late friend in Warsaw MO. They had two gun stock makers there. It was neet to go look at their stuff and have always wanted to cut blanks from our local walnut. Most of the crotches get left in the woods.

solidwoods

Norm.  

When you cut the crotches you also have 2 choices about the center/pith.  Cut on center or put the center in the center of a slab..

Food for thought..
Healthy tree/log no center rot etc..
Small tree split the center (better chance of good center)
Large tree board in the center (better chance of rot/cracked center)

Look for buyer before cutting the root balls (especially if big).
I would pwr wash, roots cut off,  then shather with Anchor Seal).
Turning blanks can be air dried a little then totaly covered with Anchor Seal.
And don't forget about E-Bay,,gun blanks roughed out and turnning blanks ship easy/cheap.
Can't tell where you are at, but I would love to trade some for a root ball.  I have Wormy Ribboned Pecan to Furniture.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Norm

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your tips.  :)

I may have to invest in a power washer, the last one I had broke and I suppose the folks at the car wash would take a dim view on me bringing one in on a trailer to power wash there.

Of course I could just scatter some feathers around and if they ask who made the mess I'll just tell em someone with Arkansas plates did it. :D

Thank You Sponsors!