iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bandsaw problem

Started by Dan_Shade, June 12, 2010, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I have a Grizzly G0513x2 bandsaw.

I bought a set of carter guides for it the other day, and got them installed, but when making a test cut, when I tried to cut a curve, the band pulled forward out of the guides towards the front of the table. 

Does anybody know what is out of alignment?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

CHARLIE

I don't have a clue but I think I'd call the Carter Blade Guide Company. I'm sure they have a technical person that could help.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Dan_Shade

i'll probably do that.  I also ordered a few new blades.  not sure what's going on with it...

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

It sounds like a tracking problem. Try adjusting the cambor of your top wheel back a little bit.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

the band is running on the middle of the tire.  wouldn't the band want to wander off if it weren't tracking properly?

the band runs in the middle of the tire without the guides.

what are symptoms of the wheels being non-coplaner?

Ironwood

You must start w/ wheels co planer, check that first, all things proceed from there.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Lud

Also, sufficient tension?  I like to pluck the left side of the blade as I wind it up.  You can hear a dull sound going up th scale to a  nice ringing tone.  You learn that tone,  it's pretty true for tension.

Of course,  the bloody thing's not runnin'  !!   :D :D

Stone the corners off the back edge of the blade too.........big dif in how tight you can go .
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fiddle1

id be willing to bet its a combination of top wheel being out of alignment.
also the tension sounds like your off on the tension also. 

id have to see pics to know for sure.

SwampDonkey

Tracking and tension is my guestimate as well. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

too much tension?  or too little?

low_48

How tight did you set the Carter bearings to the blade. I use a dollar bill to set some clearance. If you run it tight, heat in the blade may cause it to bind a little and want to work out of the bearings.

Dan_Shade

i did the dollar bill clearance thing.  if the blade is not cutting, none of the carter bearings move.

Don_Papenburg

I have never had bearings on the blade sides  but I believe that they should barely turn while running at idle same as the back bearing.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Is your throat adjustment pinching or rubbing the blade. On mine there are two square steel blocks on that adjustment that have to be set just right with a hex wrench (Allen wrench).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!