iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna 240

Started by bedway, June 09, 2010, 08:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

I just picked one up for a good price. It was one of those, buy it, or lose the chance at the good price. Ive been looking on the internet for some info. etc. on it, but all i find info. for is the 240e. I cant even find what the fuel/oil mix should be. Any input or info. would be appreciated.

jteneyck

JohnG28

Does the saw have a green gas cap? If it does then it is the e or e-tech model.  I think youll want 50:1 fuel/oil ratio, thats pretty standard.  Use good oil and middle or high grade gas, stabilizer if you like, and youll be in business.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Rocky_J

The exact same fuel mix as every other chainsaw, weed wacker, blower, hedge trimmer, etc. etc. on the market. Two cycle fuel is not a mystery. If it meets the recommendations for one motor then it's good enough for all of them. If you have multiple cans of different brand mix oil and different cans of mix gas in your garage then you're doing it wrong. Pick one mix and stick with it. Old fuel is a much bigger issue and will cause more problems than what brand of mix oil you use or if the ratio is 40-1 or 50-1.

(this doesn't apply to water cooled two cycle motors such as outboard  boat engines. Different oil for those.)

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on June 09, 2010, 09:12:40 PM
Does the saw have a green gas cap? If it does then it is the e or e-tech model.  I think youll want 50:1 fuel/oil ratio, thats pretty standard.  Use good oil and middle or high grade gas, stabilizer if you like, and youll be in business.

The "e" means that it has some sort of "easy-start" featuere, and maybe tool-less chain tensioner as well - features that most are better off without. It has nothing to do with e-tech/cat muffler.

Anyway, it is a strato saw, and a low-powered and cheap saw made at the Poulan factory.

User manual
Information collector.

John Mc

huh. I always assumed the "e" meant "e-tech". Now that I look on the Husky web site, I see that the only difference on their comparison page between the "455 e-series" and the 455 is the "tool less chain tensioner". I'm not a fan of those things anyway. Hopefully, the fact that they still list both kinds means you can still get one without the tool-less tensioner.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

northern

The Husky "e" series aren't so bad.  They are what they are, light duty saws.  I have a 137E, and it is great for small limbing, and around the house clean-up.  Light, and easy to start.  Mix at 50:1, and you should be good.  Did it come with one of those safety chains?

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum northern.  I have a Husky 142e, and its the e-tech model, and it has a green gas cap, but still has regular bar nuts, not the easy adjust.  Its been a fine saw for what Ive asked of it too, just swapped the chain to non safety semi chisel and runs well.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bedway

Hey again folks, Well the latest on this husky 240 is that its going back to Sears tomorrow. After the input ive gotten here and else where im concerned this might not be enough saw for my purposes. This is all speculation because i cant even get the thing to run to try it out. I found it at Sears on a clearance table. Even the the store clerk said it was put thru the shop and checked out fine, its not a good sign when ya cant get it to run. I just dont have the muscle, nor the desire to pull on the starter rope indefinately with these 63 year old arms  :)

SawTroll

At least upgrade to the 440, preferably the the 450, when you are at it!     ;)

Those are real Swedish made saws, and the difference is larger than the price difference indicates.
Information collector.

John Mc

Bedway, what kind of cutting will you be doing with this saw (once you get one that works).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!