iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

P/C for a Husky 55

Started by jteneyck, June 08, 2010, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

OK, it's time to pony up the money for a new P/C for my Husky 55, the one that's gone through 3 pistons during its troubled life.  I got it free after the first one was scored and the ring frozen in the groove.  I cleaned up the cylinder, put in an aftermarket piston, and it lasted three years.  That one was scored just like the first, but again the cylinder looked pretty good, so I put in another and that one last one hour.  I think the last one (and maybe the second one, too) was due to an air leak at the carb. gasket due to a nearly stripped screw in that cheap plastic the carb attaches to.  My bad.  Just to be sure I did a vacuum check on the crankcase and it looks OK, so I'm pretty sure it was the carb gasket.  When I put it back together this time I'll put a nut on the back side of the plastic and use bolts instead.

So, to the point of this.  Who makes the best aftermarket P/C for a Husky 55?  The piston is 46 mm diameter.   Thanks.

Rocky_J

Last year I rebuilt a 55 rancher that I got from a landscraper who burned it up within 3 months of buying it. I bought the aftermarket kit from Bailey's for $100 plus about $7-8 for the gasket set. A buddy has been using it in his tree service for over a year now and it's running fine. Here's a picture of the saw while I was waiting for the kit.

Rocky_J

Oh, I just realized I had a couple more pictures in my gallery here. These are the old piston and cylinder. I don't see much evidence of oil residue, it looks a bit scorched. I suspect it was either straight gas or lean carb settings (or both).

jteneyck

Thanks for the info and photos, Rocky.  Attached are a couple of photos of the cylinder on my 55 after I cleaned it up as best I could.  Inlet side first, then outlet.  Do you think the outlet side is too far gone to reuse? 

Inlet:

Outlet:

Thank You Sponsors!