iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framing Conference in Montebello

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 28, 2003, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

To all timber framers and FF users:
I'll be heading out tomorrow to the timber framers guild conference in Montebello, Ontario, Canada.
If you're going and want to meet up, look for me at the Friday afternoon at the trade show reception from 4:30 to 6 pm. I'll be there with my new FF hat on.

Jim Rogers

(I think we need a new smiley face, one with a FF hat on.)
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

IndyIan

Hi Jim,
I was wondering where Montebello is?  My trusty yahoo maps has failed to locate it.

Ian

Jim_Rogers

Montebello is in Ontario, postal code J0V-1L0. It's west of Montreal on the north side of the Ottawa River.
here is a map:

If you need further directions get right back to me, I won't be online long.

Jim

IndyIan

Hi Jim,

Anytime you're north of the Ottawa river you're in Quebec!  That's a really nice area, have fun at the conference.

Ian  

Jim_Rogers

Indylan:
Sorry about that, I don't know my provinces, I guess.
I'm here at the conference center and got a hour online.
Jim

Jim_Rogers

I'm here at the conference center, at a computer for guests to use. Nice that they have these here. Sometimes you have to pay a hourly fee to use them, sometimes you don't, depends on the desk clerk who's on duty.
If you'd like to see this place check out:http://concierge.fairmont.com/location.process/OID_35/OLID_8878/.
I've got some nice photos but no way to upload them from here, now. I'll put then on the forum next Monday when I get home.
Drove 600 miles, took 8hrs to get here.
This place is huge and nice.
10,000 logs to build it, took the crew 90 day to do it, many years ago, maybe 1930 or so, I haven't read the history section yet so I might be wrong.
Rained all day yesterday, nice weather outside today, but was in class all day learning the "French" roof rafter layout methods and then made a sample of the full scale drawing they drew on the two sheets of white painted plywood, screwed down to the conference center floor, (right threw the carpet) but don't tell anyone about that.
Learned a lot from these 3 frenchmen, and learned that there is a lot more to learn........ :P

Tomorrow starts all the other presentations and conferences.
Trade show starts tommorrow and runs all day, and all day Saturday. Lots of different type companies displaying their stuff, here. Tools, lumber, panels, just to name a few.

Food is great, had prime rib for supper (a four course meal). And I didn't have to pay for it either!! (An old friend owed me one).

Took as least 40 to 50 photos today, took sixty yesterday.

The German crew is here and are teaching a three day workshop on their method of laying out and cutting joints for a small timber frame shed. They've been working out side under tents, in the garage, in the curling center office, and in the parking lot. They had to call in a portable sawmill to recut some timbers that were shipped in oversize. I won't tell you what color the mill was but it starts with an "O" and ends with "range". I personally didn't see it but others told me it was here.

The shed they are cutting out will be sold at the aution here tomorrow night. All money from the aution, goes to guild to help pay for students to learn more. All aution items are donated by guild members.

More later, my time is almost up.
Jim Rogers

Greg

Jim,

I am pretty jealous...

I just can't afford the eastern conference every year.. maybe I'll catch one in the future.

Are the running pre conference cad workshops again? Just wondering if our buddies from Dietrich's came again.

Japanese carpenters back this year???

I don't suppose Peter made it up from Boston to the conference? Tell RudyC, Greg in Cincinnati says hello...

Please keep taking pics filing your reports, its almost the same as being there...
Greg

Jim_Rogers

Greg:
I got too busy to check in from the conference center again.

I'm home now after another 8 hour drive and put 1525 miles on my truck since Wednesday.

The German team was there this time, but did a different type of three day workshop. I'll post some pictures of the project later.
But, what they did was teach the German method for laying out a drawing full scale on the floor, then transfer all the lines and points to the timbers and then cut them out.
They had ten students who took the course with four instructors. Marcus, whom you know, made the drawing some time ago, and was one of the instructors (who all helped in cutting the frame). It has several famous and well known German joints in the building. It was a small shed that had over 400 joints in it. Sorry I didn't get the number of timbers in the project.
After they completed the cutting of all the pieces, and that ran over the three day limit into Friday afternoon, the brought all the timbers into the hotel lobby and put it together. After which they stood on the roof and said a poem written for the occasion in German and Markus said it in English for all to hear.
I got some good photos of this, but they're in my laptop computer and I'll have to transfer them over and reduce them for posting here.
The "German garden shed" was donated the guild and sold at the Friday night auction for $5000 to a member from Texas, who invited anyone traveling threw Texas to stop by and join him anytime in his "German beer shed".

The food was fabulous and the place was great. The conference was good, and I got lots of information, several T-shirts, and a couple of new books.

I'll post some pictures later.

Jim

Jim_Rogers

Greg:
Sorry, I forgot to answer you're other questions.

No the Japanese team was not there this year.
I took the "French" layout one day workshop on Thursday, and that was very interesting and some what complex. But I got it as far as I know. What I mean to say is that I can understand it and I think I could use it.

Peter from Boston, didn't come this year.

More later.
Jim

Jim_Rogers

Here are some photos of the place:

Above is front driveway.

Turning left at same spot we see the river beyond the hotel and part of the grounds.

A young Beatles fan walking towards the driveway.

Part of the name over the drive threw entrance. (Sorry about the quality).

Above is the post holding up the right side of the drive threw entrance. Note the straps holding the pillow blocks to the posts, nice iron work.

Halloween decorations just inside front doorway.

Six sided, YES six sided fireplace in center of lobby.

Balconies around lobby. The trade show is on the second floor balcony but there is one above that.

You walk down one set of stairs to the dining room below. There were so many framers there that they had to set up tables around this upper balcony so we all could sit down to eat at lunch and dinner.

This is a sign post, built by a timber framer and donated to the auction. It was set up in the lobby so that everyone could see it before the auction.

More later.
Jim

Jim_Rogers

Here are a few more photos:

This is a shot of the side driveway, the drive threw entrance is on the left.

I was walking around the yard and buildings and saw this:

It seemed strange to see wood in the window.

This is just part of the woodpile for the six sided fireplace.

The curling and cross country ski rental center.

All the buildings were log building.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

To all who are interested:
Before I left the conference one of the guild web page adminstrators asked me to email her the photos I took during my stay.
I burnt them onto a cd and gave them to her before I left.
She has since created a series of slide shows of my pictures along with her pictures of the conference.
Here is a link to the start page:

Link to guild conference photos web page.

There are quite a few and too many to try to post here.
I hope you enjoy them.
Jim

Thank You Sponsors!