iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Timberjack 201 rebild

Started by mog5858, June 06, 2010, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mog5858

well glad i found you guys this is my frist post and look forward to learing lost from you guys. i bought a 201 tj last year with motor problums and well this past winnter did a rebild now i am looking for a little more info on it. i have not sean any othere like it out there i know it old and thing your guy's know would be grate. getting ready to repaint the old girl but dose anyone know the TJ paint code? it has a ford 4 172 diesel in it wich i freshind up this past winter new pump and injetors.  this is  more of a toy for me as in not going to have to do any real work just weekend fun.
i will post a pic when i figger out how 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzCthceVUHk
it seams to be under powerd i was wonding if those tire are way to big for it?  cus in 4 grear i can do a least 35 mph wich is way scary i have not done the pins yet and there is 50 year worth of slopin them

mog5858

well hear are some pic's of it where to they hide the name plates on it have not seamd to find any. i know it from the 50 cus the motor have 5 piston rings i was told that they did not keep records for the first years is this true?

bushmechanic

That machine is just like mine only when the crankshaft gave out in mine I just chucked the engine and put a 250 chevy gas engine in it.I had to lengthen out the frame by seven inches and used the chev gearbox,but it all came together.I use mine mainly for snow clearing because I live on a hill and something four wheel drive was needed and the 201 was the right price at the time.The name plates are supposed to be on the outside of the frame under the steering/blade valve a brass plate.My engine had five rings and no sleeves in the block,for that reason I threw it away.I have painted a lot of Timberjack's and all I ever used was the lower end Dupont paint and it was called equipment orange,closest thing I have seen to the jack color.My machine is a 1963 I would say yours is around that too.I have some pic's in my gallery if you want to view them,good luck. 

aksawyer

I rebuilt a motor for a guy in sweet home oregon just like yours,is that where it came from?Anyway it was also a little under powered so I added a turbo to it and made about 40 horespower more.He licked to skid up hill alot and made it run cooler also.Aksawyer...goodluck with your new machine

Mark K

Welcome to the forum. Neighbor down the road has a 200 TJ, his nameplate is on the right side of the frame and is a brass tag as bushmechanic said. His has the gas 172 motor in it which they are in the process of rebuilding. It is a really neat old machine. I like TJ machines, they are easy to work on and get parts for. I have a 225AR, been dang reliable.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Bobus2003

Their kinda goofy lookin old rigs IMO, Are they under powered? Yes, anything over 5 years old is under powered by todays standards.. my dad and i put a Mid '90's 4045T in my 60's JD440.. My skidder was a 59hp skidder from the factory, then put in a 130hp 4045TEngine, and rebuilt that last summer with a Tweeked Injector Pump and Bigger Injectors and a Modified Turbo.. Now i have way more power than it should have and i'm raising hell on my drivelines  :D. I can make full drags (All 6 Chokers filled) in 4th gear.

Do you have the Hood Tins? Are you gonna straighten up the cab and body tins?

Cool old project, keep us informed on the progress..

mog5858

well thanks guys for the fast and good info on my 201. aksawyer do you mind sharing more info on the turbo a buddy of mine was trying to tock me in to doing one  but i was hoping with a fresh motor it would be fine.  yes i got all the tins there getting blasted this week and paint splash on them. is there a hi and low in the drop box or just drive and winch mode.  now all i have to do is get my tire chains for the front from the old owner and we will be good to go play in the woods.

Coon

Welcome to the forum mog.  Good to see another member a bit closer to me.  I am in east central Sask.  Nice to see another old piece of iron brought back to life. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mog5858

thanks guys for the info but do my tires look over sized cus my frist gear is way high i don't really have a bull low. can anyone tell me it my drop box is a single speed or with it have hi-lo ? if it every stop raing hear i hope to get sand blasting this week.

Mark K

Neighbors has 16.9-30's on it. My 225 has the same. He always just ran farm tractor tires on it with not much trouble.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

aksawyer

It was pretty much just building the turbo and air intake mounts.The turbo came  from a Dodge cummins engine.We took the head to a local machine shop and had it reground for larger valves.He later had the injectors replaced with larger ones from a ford tractor I believe.Aksawyer......nothing but rain ,rain,rain for the last week.Aksawyer

barbender

Old TJ's I've ran had a hi/lo transfer case. So does my pettibone.
Too many irons in the fire

bushmechanic

It has high and low in the transfer case.Push the lever ahead of the steering valve to select the range and the center position is for winching and neutral.If you can't find both ranges then your low range is probally toast,the selection gear in the transfer case has the teeth wore off it for low,it is common in those models.You will have to look for a used one as they are no longer made for that model of transfer case,I just put one into my machine.It is probally a Rockwell transfer case a T32 if I remember correctly.There is a cover with a vent on the top of the case,remove it and you will see if the teeth are wore off the gear inside.

mad murdock

Welcome to the forum Mog!  Nice piece of old Iron there.  I have a "64 Garrett that sports the Ford 172 CID Diesel, rated at 59 HP.  Garrett Enumclaw, (Washington State),  they have alot of parts for the engine.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mog5858

thanks for all you help bushmechanic  i tock off the top cover like you said and well all greas where intack it was just the linkage that was hiting the frame. i not shere how i could have over look it but i did. low works awsom can't waeght to get a job for low range  :) . murdock that good new  i only part that i have bean having a hard time getting is the rubber that go around the injetshion line in the vale cover. i fix the old ones and it seam to be holding.

bghunt

Does anyone know were i can find a carco 100 winch,its on my old tree farmer and i can only get it to go out.It wont come back in.I havent taken it apart yet (maybe this winter) anyone have any ideas?I dont use it alot but it does come in handy when trying to cut dirty rock filled fire wood.

Bobus2003

Quote from: bghunt on June 26, 2010, 07:57:31 AM
Does anyone know were i can find a carco 100 winch,its on my old tree farmer and i can only get it to go out.It wont come back in.I havent taken it apart yet (maybe this winter) anyone have any ideas?I dont use it alot but it does come in handy when trying to cut dirty rock filled fire wood.

Check to make sure the linkage is adjusted correctly.. I have this problem with my JD440 every few months, adjust the Cable and Linkage and its good too go for a bit

mog5858

well boys it bean taking longer that i had plaed to get the things sand blast and primed but i am getting there. hear is a shot i snap that truned out really well i think.

can you guys tell me what the handle looking things on the front of the role cage would be by the rad. do they have some reason or can i cut them off. thanks martin

mog5858

well  guys it bean a long time but life some times get in the way of having fun you know. but i got her all finshed up. well allmost i still wont to do something with a muffler and a crome stack. just to give it a little bit of bling lol. tell if i missd and thing or missing some thing. thank for all the good info on this old girl i could not have got this faw with out your help.  what would it be worth just so i know so i could get some insurance  on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HQU3MTLCHU there are some other videos on my you tube of it as well.

Reddog

Autocar

Great job I bet it was alot of fun to get it where it is today  8)
Bill

nhlogga

Very nice job. Chadwick BaRoss had one of those on display at the Bangor expo 10 or so years ago. It was the first Timberjack they ever sold. Somehow they got a hold of it and restored it completly. They had a display board telling about all the previous owners and how much wood it pulled.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Dave90240

i love it i know where there is one of them and i wanna do the same thing

Woodhauler

Its almost a shame to get the old girl dirty again! But thats what she was made for! Nice job saving a old skidder from the crusher!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Top Job on The Jack Mate  :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) with values as a working machine to  someone prob around the $8 to 10000 mark to a Serious Timberjack Collector who realy wants one of the First Ones Made anywhere upto $25 to 30k you have a very good example of one there now Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

sprucebunny

Great job  8) 8)

I love seeing old machines saved and used some more.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

mog5858

thanks guys for all your help or it might not have trund out this good with out some very helpfull info from members. i hope to get her back to the bush this spring and see what she can do about earning her keep. now all i got left is to get a little forwading trailer made up and fix and set up the sawmill that i have no clue on how to use lol.

Thank You Sponsors!