iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too Much Bar Oil

Started by jteneyck, June 05, 2010, 08:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

One of my Shindaiwa 345's puts out bar oil on par with the Deep Water Horizon, even when the adjustment screw is turned to the minimum setting.  And, yes, I checked to be sure I had is set at the min. setting, not the max.  Most times oiler problems are too little oil.  Why would it put out too much oil?  Any ideas are appreciated. 

Rocky_J

Try turning the adjustment to the other end of the range. I know on the Huskys the indicator arrow is rather confusing because it is on a different plane than the actual adjustment screw.

You could also try using a thicker bar oil. Some brands are thinner than others and the thinner oil flows faster. The Stihl oil is quite thin, the Poulan oil (green jugs from Wal Mart) is a little thicker. The Super Tech bar oil from Wal Mart (white jug) is about the thinnest, blackest, nastiest bar oil I've ever seen.

trapper

the baileys bar oil i got  i can only use it in warm weather.  It is too thick and stringy when below 20 degree
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

tyb525

Trapper, I use that stuff also. It gets about like pouring molasses when it's cold. But it does seem to stay on the chain very well.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Red 93 L1 #3383

I use the orange bottle Stihl oil in the summer & the blue bottle Stihl oil in the winter.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

stihl_in_texas

Faulty BOP I reckon!   :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Now that you mention it, I've got a John Deere/Echo with the same problem.  Hit the gas and the chain looks like it's spittin' loogies.  Tweaked on it a little bit but couldn't get it right. 

Steve

jteneyck

Took me awhile to figure out what BOP meant.  Found 72 definitions for it.  Finally dawned on me you meant Blow Out Preventer.  I guess in NY we aren't as atuned to the use of that term as you folks in the gulf states are at the moment.  Damned shame what's going on there.  A lot of folks and wildlife are and will be hurt by that for a long time. 

stihl_in_texas

Yeah, I shouldn't have been lazy and typed that one out now that I think about it.  Ya'll don't do much drillin' up there do ya?   Well I'm no roughneck either but I heard about BOP's some time ago.  I'm thinkin' whatever I was hearing had something to do with the fact that BOP's seldom work when they need 'em to.  Didn't think much about it until watching a show about Red Adair on History channel.  Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread.  Good luck!

Steve

jteneyck

Drilling in NY?  Oh yeah.  Oil long ago; still a little.  SW New York is right near where it all started in PA.  But natural gas is BIG now.  They say one of the biggest reserves ever found is in NY and PA.  

As for this thread, I still haven't heard any ideas as to why this saw puts out too much oil, just some bandaids.  Guess I'll have to tear into and see what's what.  In the meantime, too much certainly is better than too little. 

Al_Smith

Normally people are concerned with too little oil rather than too much .

One other example of too much oil was once lamented by a certain Stihl affectionato who swore than unless you used a Stihl bar,Stihl chain and Stihl oil the saw would not perform properly .Oh how I loved to yank his chain . 8)

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 15, 2010, 04:56:06 PM
Normally people are concerned with too little oil rather than too much .

One other example of too much oil was once lamented by a certain Stihl affectionato who swore than unless you used a Stihl bar,Stihl chain and Stihl oil the saw would not perform properly .Oh how I loved to yank his chain . 8)

Well, the Oiliomatic system actually means that a bit less oil output is needed, but some other bars with "lubri-dam" etc. work just as well with the Stihl chain in that regard as Stihl bars do. Different bar oil sure can make a difference, but his statement sure is  funny anyway!   The brand surely isn't the point!   :D :D :D
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Quote from: SawTroll on June 15, 2010, 05:57:51 PM

his statement sure is  funny anyway!   The brand surely isn't the point!   :D :D :D
Oh you know me I can be as relentless as you .Never the less I got a lot of milage of "it's got to be Stihl to be good ".Just can't help myself at times .  8)

SawTroll

I have exclusively used Husky "Veg-Oil" for some years, but that doesn't mean that other types or brands are bad - it just works well for me, so no reason to change!   ;D
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: jteneyck on June 05, 2010, 08:48:14 PM
One of my Shindaiwa 345's puts out bar oil on par with the Deep Water Horizon, even when the adjustment screw is turned to the minimum setting.  And, yes, I checked to be sure I had is set at the min. setting, not the max.  Most times oiler problems are too little oil.  Why would it put out too much oil?  Any ideas are appreciated.  
I'm not familar with the Shindaiwas but all I can say is remove the oilpump clean it up , maybe a wood chip is stuck under the adjustment screw. If all else fails replace the pump. As long as the oiltank doesn't go dry too soon before the fuel I wouldn't worry about it.
I own Stihls and Husqvarnas and they all leave a puddle of oil most times where ever they sit. But I'm not concerned because for a year now I have been using straight canola oil for baroil. Its cheap to buy, takes alot of heat just as good as any chainoil I ever used. But the main thing I like about it is its clean. Easy to cleanup and I'm not worried about mixing my work clothes with my kids laundry.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

jteneyck

Thanks for the feedback Willard.  The oil tank does run dry before I'm out of gas, so that's why I need to resolve it.  My current bandaide is to only fill the gas tank 1/2 full, which isn't muich of a solution.  So I've got to get the clutch off and have a look at it.  The inboard sprocket needs to be replaced anyway, so it's probably good timing. 

I never thought about using Canola oil.  So it stays on the chain well enough?  By the way, what lube did you use when you were milling?  In my bar end oiler I use the cheapest bar oil I can find (Tractor Supply, on sale at $5/gal) and dilute it about 25% with mineral spirits. 

arojay

How does that canola work on a cold Manitoba morning?  Does the heat from the engine keep it thin enough?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

SawTroll

Quote from: arojay on June 16, 2010, 09:22:49 AM
How does that canola work on a cold Manitoba morning?  Does the heat from the engine keep it thin enough?

I don't know about streight Canola, but the Veg-Oil I use sure works better than "dino" oil in low temps!   :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: arojay on June 16, 2010, 09:22:49 AM
How does that canola work on a cold Manitoba morning?  Does the heat from the engine keep it thin enough?
Minus -25C [-13F ] A jug of canola can sit outside all night in the snowbank and I was still able to pour it into my saw. Sitting outside all night at -30C[-22F]I had to "squeeze it out"of the jug. At -35C [31F] with a-40C [-40F] windchill the canola was a white solid mass. But for comparison I also had a summer grade [heavy] Stihl chainoil also outside at the coldest temp and a chainsaw file could stand up in it.
I don't cut much wood in the winter anymore, only spring,summer and fall. But canola can be used in artic conditions if some common sense is used.
If your logging keep the jug of oil near the warm winch or fuel tank on the skidder. If the cab is heated even better. My best advice don't leave it sitting outside all night :D.
Heat from the saw does a good job of keeping it fluid. Another thing I found on a -30C [-22F] day when the afternoon sun is shining if the canola is kept in a black jug the heat of the sun will help keep it fluid.
Willard.

Al_Smith

I always figured the veggie oil was better as salad dressing or making French fries than for use as bar and chain lube .Whatever floats your boat though .

Regular good old petrolium based oil like is leaking in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment can be thinned with a little kerosine in cold weather if it won't pump .I have no idea what you do with veggie oil .A little vinagar maybe for salad dressing . :D

HolmenTree

Actually the other day I forgot to butter my lunch sandwichs. I couldn't eat those dry sandwiches so I took a jug of my canola oil and poured it on that bread. 8)
It wasn't bad at all, even got me thinking ........I could live healthier , eliminate the butter and share my bar oil with my Huskies
Willard.
:) :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: jteneyck on June 16, 2010, 08:22:08 AM

I never thought about using Canola oil.  So it stays on the chain well enough?  By the way, what lube did you use when you were milling?  In my bar end oiler I use the cheapest bar oil I can find (Tractor Supply, on sale at $5/gal) and dilute it about 25% with mineral spirits. 
I haven't milled for about 10 yrs now. The only honest work the Stihl 090 got lately was about 5 yrs ago when I used her to cut 54" diameter paper rolls in half for our local paper mill.
Up until a year ago I have used regular Stihl clear bar oil. On my 36" Alaskan mill I didn't bother with the end oiler, the 090 has a excellent manual and auto oiler plus a big tank.
When a sawchain heats up in the cut chainoil tacktifier thins and no longer sticks.....gone off the end of the bar.
Alot of cheaper chainoil has so much red dye in it that it looks like its sticking to the chain :D
Canola oil takes heat good. Pour a drop of regular bar oil along with a drop of canola oil on a hot frying pan and see which one smokes first. :)
Willard. 

arojay

We get cold here too.  I have seen canola in the bottle, at camp or cabin or even in the 'back of the truck' groceries when we get home from the big smoke, looking pretty much like wax.  Hmmm,  I wonder if it can be thinned with a touch of diesel seeing as the biofuels are mixed.  Re: black jug in the sun,  we also get the reverse of the Midnight Sun.  I use my 'dropped' TDG, Hydraul 50, and keep a jug near the landing fire.  One of the new 3 r's that works for me.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

HolmenTree

Yes you fellas up in the Yukon have different daylight hours, you're along ways north of me. I notice a big difference doing treework up at Thompson about 240 miles NE of here. About 2 hrs of darkness at 2-3 in the morning in the summer. We get about 4 here in The Pas.
I heard of people thinning canola with kerosene, but then your defeating the purpose of "clean oil". I'm sure someone out there has a idea of something more organic. Like I said I pretty well cut all my wood in the warmer months now.
Willard.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 17, 2010, 10:37:44 PM
Yes you fellas up in the Yukon have different daylight hours, you're along ways north of me. ....

At least some of them still are South of me, I believe - at the cottage I am at 68.730, here I am at a bit over 69 degrees... ;D
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on June 20, 2010, 11:11:36 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on June 17, 2010, 10:37:44 PM
Yes you fellas up in the Yukon have different daylight hours, you're along ways north of me. ....

At least some of them still are South of me, I believe - at the cottage I am at 68.730, here I am at a bit over 69 degrees... ;D
Niko from looking at my world map you are about as far north as civilization goes.
I'm still planning on visiting your neck of the woods with my family next year. The Lofoten Islands near you is probably one of the most sought after sights in the world. On our last trip to Norway we didn't go near that far north, only as far as Trondheim.
Willard.

Thank You Sponsors!