iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed-Seven

Started by Qweaver, June 05, 2010, 07:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Well David was getting cranky about the Dozer and backhoes setting out in the weather so I drew up the plans, fired up the LT28 and here is the result.  Got the roof blacked in and the metal pre-drilled to go on in the next few days...a coat of primer and paint and we are golden.  What next?  We wanted to do the roof today but the threat of rain put us on hold.  Raining hard out there right now.
We did stay dry long enough to dig out this huge stump.  I was wondering if we would get her for a while there.  Amazing what you can do with a backhoe and a small dozer.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

fishpharmer

Looks good Qweaver.   I guess its fair to say you like your lt28? 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Everyone that I know could use a shed like that including me  ;D.  Is that yellow poplar siding?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The shed is very nice, but I like them TRACTORS !!!  It's just the boy in me.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

Yes sir, I do like the LT28. It's a huge step-up from the LT15.
It's all poplar except for the treated posts.
The cross beams were sawn at 1.75x10 and 1.75x8.  Rafters sawn 1.625x6, siding nailers @ 1.5x4, siding 1x10.  I sheeted the roof with 5/8" OSB and 1x4" poplar strips to screw the metal roof to. 
I'm going to concrete 2 stalls and leave one dirt for the dozer.  The building is 24'x36'.  I haven't worked out the board feet used. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Well, the metal is on the roof and the outside has 2 coats of paint and I'm ready to put on the battens.  I've never put on battens.  Could I nail them on with 15 ga finish nails with my air nailer?  I'm thinking these small headed nails may not hold.  I sawed the battens 3/4" x 2.5"  8p box nails may be a better choice but I don't have an air nailer for that size and there are a LOT of nails.
I'm loving these 12' wide bays.
Quinton

WH_Conley

I usually put one nail in the batten, aim for the crack between the boards. That way everything can move as it gains and looses moisture. My weapon of choice is a number 8 or 10 nail in my Paslode nail gun, galvanized for what shows, no rust stains that way.
Bill

Qweaver

That's why I ask questions here.  I would have not thought about just using one nail in the center.  I would have thought that the batten would cup using just one nail.  But if you usually do it this way with no problems then that makes it much easier.
Thanks

WH_Conley

Check grain, turn them til if they cup they will cup in, the bow will be out, there is where the nail in center really works well.
Bill

shinnlinger

ONe nail in the center of the batten is the way to go to allow for expansion contraction, but I use full round head ring shanks and 1x4 battens.  Does a guy with a hoe and dozer  really need an excuse to buy a  framing nailer??
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Piston

Quote from: shinnlinger on June 16, 2010, 11:03:50 PM
  Does a guy with a hoe and dozer  really need an excuse to buy a  framing nailer??

I couldn't have said it better myself  :D
Good work on the shed!   I sure could use one of those.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

submarinesailor

Quote from: shinnlinger on June 16, 2010, 11:03:50 PM
ONe nail in the center of the batten is the way to go to allow for expansion contraction, but I use full round head ring shanks and 1x4 battens.

Ditto - but make sure they are galvanized.  I pick them up at the blue box store.

Bruce

Qweaver

I actually own 3 nailers.  An 18ga, 15 ga and a framing nailer.  I use the 18 and 15 a lot but have never driven a nail with the framing gun.  I prefer driving hot dip galvanized 16p with a hammer but I guess I'll fire it up to nail these battens on.  I guess it will drive 8p.  I don't have the book for it.

WH_Conley

Set the depth of drive not to bury the nail, let the lumber dry and then go back over the nails with a smooth faced hammer, not a waffle head, cuts down on marring.
Bill

Qweaver

I'm really surprised at how fast the siding boards have dried out. They were sawn and put up right away.  In three weeks they have already shrunk up as much as my other shed that was built the same way last summer.  The logs were felled last summer and had dried some but I now have 1/2" to 5/8" gaps and I think they are done shrinking.  I have the battens sawn and stickered and I'm going to wait a week to paint the battens before I nail them up. This will help reduce the amount of movement.  If I leave the back side unpainted they should only cup inwards...I hope.  ???
Quinton

WDH

Q,

Wood cups toward the bark. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

Hey WD, I respect your input and I'm sure you are right but as I was reading your post I got to thinking about how I was instructed to install treated 2x6 decking and my 2x8 treated pier boards.  They are installed with the "frown" showing...that would be bark side up.  I've never done battens but I've done a lot of pier boards and decking with the bark side up. This is claimed to reduce upward cupping.  I have mistakenly nailed some on with the smile showing and they did cup up.  Am I mis-reading your comment?
Quinton

DouginUtah

Danny,

I hesitate to reply to your "Wood cups toward the bark" statement as I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but tell me if this is wrong...

If you look at the end grain of a flatsawn board the growth rings form arcs. As the wood dries those arcs will tend to straighten, which would put the convex surface on the side away from the bark. Right?

Maybe the word "cups" needs to be defined.  ???
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

dnalley

To me, if you don't want your cup to hold water....it's bark side down.

Qweaver

Now I am totally confused.  I just watched 5 different "installing decking" videos and everyone of them recommended orienting the boards bark side up to avoid cupping.  Yet when I look at shrinkage charts I see the opposite.  I want to get this right before I start painting and nailing.  I have nailed and screwed many thousands of feet of decking...all oriented bark side up.  There has to be something else going on here.

Gary_C

Quote from: Qweaver on June 17, 2010, 02:34:42 PM
 If I leave the back side unpainted they should only cup inwards...I hope.  ???
Quinton

Shouldn't you paint all sides to reduce unequal moisture adsorption? Seems like if you leave the back un painted you will cause more cupping.  ???
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

Hey Guys,

It does sound counter-intuitive to put the bark side down since you imagine that that the board will cup in line with the growth ring pattern since it forms a cup-like figure if you look at the end grain.  However, what you look at with your eyes and process with your brain may not be right just because it looks right in this case.

I don't know what to tell you since I was always taught to put the bark side up, and it is hard to come to terms that I might have been doing it wrong all this time  :D.

Unless the shrinkage charts are wrong, flatsawn boards cup toward the bark  :).  Sheesh, who would have thunk it  ???.

isawlogs

I have done many decks , many board & batten installation . Never did I ever worry about bark/ring/smily orientation . Put the best side out and go . Have not yet been advised that any water has gone in the buildings .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!