iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antivirus

Started by CLL, June 04, 2010, 10:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

Haven't been here in a while do to health problems, but am going strong again. Question is, I bought a new computer and my free 30 days of McAfee is about to run out. What is the best to use that I don't have to pay an arm and leg for.
Too much work-not enough pay.

beenthere

Look into Microsoft Security Essentials.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DouginUtah

Security Essentials gets good reviews as does AVG.

If you are not on dial-up try this for AVG Free:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
Click on the upper right - "Download Latest Version" 84.83 MB.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

I usually recommend AVG free version.  I've not used Security Essentials.

Glad you are feeling better!

DanG

When I got this computer I was unable to download AVG, so I am using the free version of Avast.  So far, so good.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

Consumer digest recomends Avast as a free anti virus. I use it and it has done better than Mcaffe at finding viruses.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

logwalker

I've been using Avast free version for about 4 years and it has been excellent.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

IMERC

AVG
A Squared
Malwarebytes....

All free....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

I've used Norman Security Suite for years now and have never been taken over. It commercial and you purchase an annual license for the updates, which are frequent. $$99 I think.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

We use Microsoft security essentials on all of our computers.

David Freed

I used to use AVG and Malwarebytes. After reading several user and professional reviews, I switched to Avast and Malwarebytes. A couple years ago before switching to Avast, I did get a virus. Avg couldn't fix it, but 3 scans with Malwarebytes cleaned it out. Since switching to Avast, I haven't had any problems.

Raider Bill

We use Avira antivirus here amd malwarebytes. Havn't had and problems.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

routestep

Go to Kimando.com and see what she recommends.

Kim Komando has been hosting a radio show for years (Saturdays and replay on Sundays here) and gives out all sorts of advice for computers and other digital equipment.

CLL

Thanks guys appreciate all the help.
Too much work-not enough pay.

asy

I use AVG on all my computers and the kids laptops. I also have it installed on the computers at work and it's great.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SPIKER

Last year we bought the Microsoft anti=virus stuff, Live Care and it proceeded to either disable or un-install any of there software that was not OEM installed or was not bought within the last year still in a yearly license term.   SO apparently when you BUY software now you infact only RENT it for a year???   I had full versions bought & paid for of Word/OFFICE suit which was wiped out.   

i'll never buy a MS one again...   went through heck getting office to work again

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

IMERC

Quote from: SPIKER on June 06, 2010, 09:11:02 PM

i'll never buy a MS one again...   went through heck getting office to work again

mark

look into Open Office.. way better....

http://download.openoffice.org/

free too....

SPIKER

Quote from: IMERC on June 06, 2010, 09:16:49 PM
Quote from: SPIKER on June 06, 2010, 09:11:02 PM

mark

look into Open Office.. way better....

http://download.openoffice.org/

free too....

I ended up getting (for 10 bucks) office 2007 through the company I work for.   This week I ended up getting email for office 2010 available for the same price.   I did install openoffice on her machine for a while untill I bought that full office suit included just about all of the MS products you could ever want...\\would not have bought the 2007 otherwise if the virus software had not deleted our official version of 2002 office I had installed onto her PC when we bought it.   back in 2006.   my old version of the MS office is still valid as far as I'm concerned as I bought it full retail price I should be able to use it forever not worry about a new virus software deleting what is a valid program because MS wants to force people to buy new products every year...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

IMERC

the OO suite rivals/pales MS... it also has extensive libraries... is not proprietary... uses less RAM and processor...  lots smoother...

Thank You Sponsors!