iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many do there own Wrenching?

Started by NWwoodsman, June 04, 2010, 07:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWwoodsman

I thought owning, running and fixing your mill was just part of being a sawyer. But with all the complicated systems on the new mills how can you fix your own mill and be a true millwright as well as a sawyer? Hydrdulics, electricial, mechanical, and fuel systems are all very different than systems of the past. Myself with my 1960's mill can fix repair or patch any problem that may occur. How about you??

Jason

bandmiller2

Jason,I built my own bandmill so shame on me if I can't fix it.I have worked on and done repairs on the popular orange mill,I understand what your saying,but I won't say more.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dan_Shade

working on the new mills is like everything else.  If you have the know-how, it's not so bad.

I've had a circuit board fry, bearing on the debarker swing arm seize up, bust a hydraulic hose, and performing general maintenance on it.

I find the woodmizer service manual to be very detailed and useful.

Besides, if I would happen to get stuck, help is only a post away on this forum.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishpharmer

I generally do my own wrenching.......to a fault.  Never enough time to do everything I need to do.  I'm not too proud to call on someone more knowledgeable either.  The new advanced capability sawmill machines appear to have some complex systems that would push the limits of most shade tree mechanics.  But, I wouldn't refuse a new mill if someone wanted to donate one :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I've suggested on here several times about reading and understanding the mill's service manuals.  You need to be very familiar with all adjustments.  Get out your square, level, and ruler.  No way can you wait for scheduled service personnel to service and maintain your mill.

Things wear out and break.  I've had two this year.  One mechanical (power feed sprockets) and one electrical (power feed forward solenoid).  You simply can not depend upon someone else being as knowledgeable about your mill as you should be.

Factory technical support is also invaluable.  Those guys are great.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim H

I've always done my own wrenching on the mill. Most of the problems are pretty straightforward, but when I need help Woodmizer's customer service has been able to talk me through it.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

J_T

Well don't know if this counts or not . ???  Little while back me an some buddy's built a re saw has electric up and down adjust, hydraulic variable  feed conveyor belt also can be tilted to saw siding. You can take a board off the top or bottom of a cant .Running a 20hp 3ph motor . Feeding the saw is a unscrambler that came in a kit form as in lots of parts .Lots of folks would be broker than they are if they couldn't fix their own equipment .Or in this area anyway

Jim Holloway

Chuck White

I do the wrench trunin' on my mill!

With basic mechanical  ability and the owner/operators manual anyone can maintain an LT40, as far as mechanical goes!

Electrical and Hydraulics could be another issue!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

i do just about all of my mechanican on the mill and support equip. mines probably not as complicated as a hydraulic or an electric feed and we dont have very much trouble with breakdowns on the mill itself.
now im going to do some of my favorite kind of mechanican. im putin a rear end in a lazy- boy.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

LeeB

That one just almost sailed over my head Paul. I had to read it again before it sunk in. Funny.

I wrench on my mill and support equip but won't touch a vehicle any more except for routine maint.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

r.man

J-T, whats an unscrambler?  I'm in the same category as Bandmiller, except I'm only about 50 percent finished. Ultimately my goal is to tweak the design I have to make an extremely simple, reliable, easy to run, and easy to repair mill. Then I want to build one that is easy on my back. I don't think the two can exist in the same machine.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

simplicityguy92

ive done all my own wrenching because i am still building my mill

Brucer

I do everything except mess with the computer on the engine.

Regular maintenance, done on time and by the book, will save you a lot of "emergency" wrenching. I've got  dedicated set of tools at the mill site (so there's no excuse for putting off maintenance or repairs). I always keep a full set of filters on hand for preventive maintenance. As soon as I use one, I buy another to keep in the parts box.

Mechanical stuff is mostly looking at what moves what and making sure things are tight.

Hydraulics is straight forward once you understand the basics. An excellent reference is "Industrial Fluid Power" published by Womack Machine Supply Company. Volume 1 is the basic text and should give you enough information to deal with most problems.

Electrics is pretty basic, too. Wood-Mizer, for one, provides excellent diagrams -- you can do a lot even without the basics. It's handy to have a voltmeter (and the knowledge of how to use it), but it's not essential.

Remembering where I left the tape I was holding 2 minutes ago is a daunting task and I don't think I will ever master it :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

John S

Brucer,
Thanks for naming the reference book (Industrial Fluid Power), I will be looking for it the next time I am in a book store.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

customsawyer

I do my own wrenching as I can't talk anyone else into it and then they won't do it the way I want it. ;D I might be a little hard to please.
Brucer the tape measure problem can be solved using that little clip on the back and hook it on your pants pocket or you can screw a small magnet on to the back where the clip is and it will stick to the control box.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sigidi

Same as everyone above, I do my own wrenching (or spanners as they are called down here  ;)) I'm lucky to not have much in the way of complicated systems on the Lucas, the engine is as complicated as it gets. I've got basic knowledge on engines and make a point of lookin over the shoulder of anyone I need to use to do something I wasn't able to, I'm lucky that at way I learn what I see.

If I had hydraulics, I'd get to learn them as and when they broke, same with the electrics. Admittedly if it's a circuit board which has gone, ya swap it out right? switches, solenoids, starters, etc. you do the wrenching and either replace it or send it to someone who can re-build/repair it. I see it as the best way to get to know the mill and also save $'s.

Magicman is right, you get so much more from your mil when you get your hands dirty on it.
Always willing to help - Allan

pineywoods

I don't own much that I don't work on. Sawmill, dozer, tractor, pickup, van, house, computer, tv, log splitter, boat, power tools, chainsaw, even airplanes.There is a tradition in my family for generations, that anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it.  ;) 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

piney,
most of my stuff sits broken down too, but around the case place we have a different rule. BYOB   if you want to drive something you best Bring Your Own Battery.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

J_T

Quote from: r.man on June 04, 2010, 11:11:33 PM
J-T, whats an unscrambler?  

What we built is designed to saw cants into boards . Right now we been sawing 16' threw 8' 4x6  oak into 4x4's .So i take one or two bundles of cants put them on the unscrambler and it brings them to me one at a time .

Go to Brewco's web site take a look at the video of their low rider unscrambler at work it is the same one i got mine is just a tad older .

Some day planning on posting photos of the saw and other things we have built saw is mounted on 15" steel I beams it don't move around
Jim Holloway

Brucer

Quote from: customsawyer on June 05, 2010, 10:06:42 AM
Brucer the tape measure problem can be solved using that little clip on the back and hook it on your pants pocket or you can screw a small magnet on to the back where the clip is and it will stick to the control box.

It's supposed to be clipped to the lid on the control panel when I'm sawing, or hooked on my pants pocket when I'm in the log yard. Now if I could only remember to put it in one of those two places after I'm done using it, I wouldn't have to remember where I put it ::) ::).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Meadows Miller

(quote pineywoods )

There is a tradition in my family for generations, that anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it.  ;) 
[/quote]

We must be Bloody Cousins then Piney  ;) :D :D :D :D the only thing i never had to do alittle work to before i fired it up was the 10-30 before the lucas's  all our gear seemed to come in Kit form  ;) with the plans in our heads  ;) :D :D :D :D :D

The first motor i tried to fix was a briggs when i was abut 6yo i found gettn the thing stripped down was the easy part n Dad was'nt to happy when he got home but we got it running again afew years later  ;)  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Being on the spanners is a good way to get to know your equipment as i think ppl who dont are more likely to have major downtime as they dont have the knowlage to do a quick fix to get themselves outa a bind and small issues can take days instead of hours ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

ErikC

I do my own, like sigidi though, on the swing mill all it is as engine maintenance. The rest is either adjustments or something similar.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

pnyberg

I do all my own wenching.

Oh, wait, did I misread that?  ;D
No longer milling

southpaw

I have pretty simple manual mill I do my own, doesn't mean I know what I'm doing  :D but I can get it to cut good and straight  ;). Also I do most of all my own wrenching on everything  :P ;D  ;).

Thank You Sponsors!