iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old J.I. Case grain drill

Started by timberfaller390, June 03, 2010, 11:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

I picked up this old drill for next to nothing and have no idea of the model and I need a few minor parts. It is an 11 disk/row machine with rubber tires and mechanical lift. It has a grass seed box and fertilizer box. I have looked all over the net for info and there is NONE. So anybody who has expierance with Case equipment I could really use a hand finding out exactly what this thing is. Case equipment is almost non existent around here which is why I got it so cheap. I had to argue with the Case dealer for twenty minutes about what model my rake is before they could order bearings.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Bro. Noble

We have an old Case graindrill also.  I have ordered parts for it from a local dealer,  but it's probably ben a few years ago.  The operators manual has pictures of different horse hitches in it so it's several years old.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

timberfaller390

This one is not horse drawn. I am guessing it's from the 50's or sixties.   Any chance of getting a couple pics of yours?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Bro. Noble

Ours isn't horsedrawn either,  it just shows options in the manual.  My guess is that this one was also made around the 50's.  Come by and take all the pictures you want,  from your past posts,  I'd say we have a fondness for the same kind of stuff :D :D  I'll try and get the next FF visitor to take a picture for you. 

timberfaller390

Yeah old and rusty usually gets my attention. I'm not a huge Case fan, I've just aquired several pieces on the cheap because they weren't popular around here. My only real issue with Case is parts availibility. I can get anything I need for J.D., Ford and IH.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Coon

I have seen a few of those old Case drills around these parts.... but they are usually in the bush with trees starting to grow between various parts.  Something like these you can usually get for less than a song if you want to go through the trouble to get it out. The last old piece of equipment that I went to get the owner figured I was 3/4's of the way to the nuthouse and said "If you can get it out of there, be my guest.  That old pile of rust has been there for the last fifty years and was junk then..."  :D

Brad.

timberfaller390, I think ya need to come out here on vacation but bring a BIG trailer along.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

timberfaller390

Okay this thing is starting to get in bed with me so to speak. I have found NO info on J.I. Case drills at all period.

Noble, do you happen to know what model yours is?

I am begining to think that my few minor parts ain't going to be so minor. The local case dealer won't even talk to me about parts without a model. Even posted on a few of the old tractor forums without any luck. The closest thing I have found is a picture of a case "DF" model that looks like mine but I think is wider. A search for Case DF grain drill only brings up stuff on Deere drills.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

It's amazing what all evening in front of the puter will turn up. Shortly after my last post I ran across an old thred with a pic of my drill. It is either an LFA model or an LFB model the A had a large hopper and the B had a standard hopper. Now if I can just find the specs I'll know which one I have. Now comes the daunting task of finding the right seeding chart.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Bro. Noble

I looked for a modle # but didn't see one.   On the left end there looks like there might have been a plate and just below that is a parts # in the casting,  but I didn't have my glasses.  Ours is also an 11 hole and sounds like yours except it also has a third small box for clover seed.  When you come over with your trailer,  you could probably take it home with you for less than you could buy parts :D :D  It's always been kept under roof and is ready to go.  The green paint is still on the board back behind :)

Bobus2003

Quote from: timberfaller390 on June 03, 2010, 11:53:20 PM
Yeah old and rusty usually gets my attention. I'm not a huge Case fan, I've just aquired several pieces on the cheap because they weren't popular around here. My only real issue with Case is parts availibility. I can get anything I need for J.D., Ford and IH.

Joke I hear alot about my Case 1845:

Know what case stands for?
CASE: Couldn't Afford Something Else

Thank You Sponsors!