iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed some "JUNK" today

Started by Magicman, June 03, 2010, 07:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I started a fairly large ERC job this morning.  First thing that I did was find 3 nails.  Well one with the blade, and then two by looking at the discolored wood.  Each nail head was about 1½" deeper that the next.  This meant that the nails were driven into the tree over a 20-30 year span.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

hate metal, just hate it.  Find it witha new blade of course
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

Time to get some Stellite blades ;) :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customdave

Now I know why they call you magicman, how do you get that fancy pattern sawing boards?  ???  ;)

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Chuck White

Sorry to hear about the nails MM.
I hit a bunch of metal last weekend, fortunately is was a bunch of muzzle loader balls.
That just cost me time, I had to scrape the small pieces of lead off of each tooth, then go again.
Did this a few times.

When I hit metal "in a log", I have different rates.
1. When I hit metal with a band that was just put on, I charge $5.00 for an "early" resharp.
2. If the band has to be run through the sharpener more than once, it's $5.00 each time.
3. If the band is ruined, it's $25.00.

edited
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

How much do you charge if the metal is attached to your sawmill? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kansas

A lot of times when we find a nail pattern like that, behind the nails we find bullets. Someone nailed a no hunting or similar sign to the tree. Then people used it for target practice. The lead ones aren't bad. But if they used steel jacketed armor piercing ones..

Magicman

Quote from: customdave on June 03, 2010, 10:47:17 PM
Now I know why they call you magicman, how do you get that fancy pattern sawing boards?  ???  ;)  Dave 

Notice below the one on the right that it was sawing smooth.   I tried to clean the blade up, but it still left marks as seen on the left.  I then changed the blade.  Yup, I hate those "fancy patterns".

Quote from: Jeff on June 04, 2010, 07:55:00 AM

:)  Aha, those are "on the house".   I just hope that no one was looking.   :o    whiteflag_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rph816

Metal is bad, one time we hit a ceramic insulator, probably from someone running power to an outbuilding or electric fence.  At least you can finish the cut with metal, the ceramic shut things down.  We got out the scalpel (Stihl 440 magnum) to extract what was left of the blade and find out what in the world we hit.  This one was 4+ inches into the tree and there was no visible sign of it in the bark.  It's amazing what you find.

Ryan

Chuck White

Quote from: Jeff on June 04, 2010, 07:55:00 AM

Well, so far........ I've been real lucky about hitting sawmill metal, or should I say "not hitting" sawmill metal! ;)

I did hit one of the "non-hydraulic" log stops, but all that did was scrape some of the paint off of it and the pressure of the blade tipped the log stop down. ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

campy

My record is 5 blades on an Elm log.
The customer paid me for it.

Thank You Sponsors!