iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees on the ground vs bugs & diseases

Started by oscar not the grouch, June 03, 2010, 11:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar not the grouch

Gou'day,

I don't know if I'm in the correct forum or not but here it goes.
I cut down approx 100 trees last fall (Nov & Dec 2009) and they are still, full length (branches off), on the ground, in the forest. I plan to eventually skid them out and have them milled and use the lumber to build a camp. I have a combination of Eastern Tamarack and white spruce and most were cut in and old cow pasture field surrounded by lots of alders.

My question is how long can these full length trees lay flat on the forest floor like this? Will the bugs eventually find refuge under the bark? Should I get them out of there ASAP?

Also, any thoughts on using tamarack as framing lumber?

Tks for replies......Oscar

ErikC

Get them out asap, it's already been too long.....
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

stonebroke

Bobus2003

I would be willing to bet that you already have boring bugs in the wood.. Trees i cut 2 months ago have boring bugs in them and are slipping their bark

jander3

If you can't get them out, spray the bark with diesel, it will help a bit.   

I stored Red Pine on skids, bark on for two years, no problem.  A few bug holes in the logs, just hit them with penetreat.   

I would get them off the ground this year.

NWwoodsman

Don't know where your at, but in Montana Western Larch (Tamrack) can last 50 or so years on the ground and not rot or have many bugs. It has a nautral oil that prvents rot and bugs don't like it. You see 100 plus old Larch in Log cabins doing just fine. Makes good lumber too, some checking though. You see it used all over Montana, but thats Western not Eastern don't know if it makes any diff. Your spruce won't last and isn't that great for building unless you have some real old growth then you can build a plane or piano with it. :D
Jason

woodmills1

a few bug holes wont hurt framing or timber lumber more than big old knots.  the stuff will be stained but unless it is a show piece that wont matter either.  I have 16 foot oaks 3 to 5 years on the ground and boards soud and strong just not so pretty
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

oscar not the grouch

Thank you guys. I live in Eastern Canada, in the Province of New Brunswick. Eastern Larch is pretty hard and heavy in this part of the world as well. I plan to haul them out within the next couple of weeks.
Tks again
Oscar

stonebroke

Being that far north you should have more time than if you lived in FLA.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!