iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stripper delimber?

Started by treefarmer87, June 03, 2010, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

anyone have or use one? what are they like?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Raider Bill

I crack myself up! :D
At first glance I read stripper dilemma.  ::)

That used to be the story of my life :)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Gary_C

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 03, 2010, 12:30:11 PM
stripper dilemma.  ::)

That used to be the story of my life :)

Does that mean that you name should be Stripper Bill?  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Raider Bill

I married one once ;D

Course she stripped me of all assets in divorce court :'(
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Woodhauler

I haul off two guys that use them,and they are great in poplar and most softwoods! But you need atleast a 210 prentice size crane to have pulling power to limb with.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Sawyerfortyish

Raider bill my eyes seen the same thing yours did :D

footer

Me 3.....I read Stripper Dilemma also ;D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 03, 2010, 12:30:11 PM
I crack myself up! :D
At first glance I read stripper dilemma.  ::)

Bill I dont reckon id ever had that problem Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Treefarmer ive seen the stripper online and like the look of them simple and efective ticks all the boxes for me as it dosent need hyd or remotes which are a pita  ;) and if i was looking for a static delimber id be getting one myself Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Samuel

I have seen them used a lot in the interior of BC in the pine stands and Alberta.  They are predominately used for tree length operations, but have seen a few used for cut to length operations.  They are a very productive machine for sure (depending on the quality of the head), but overall, and of course depending on a number of factors like species, product, etc. they are a good machine, much cheaper than the alternative dangle head processor.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

treefarmer87

if i get a 210 prentice im going to get 1
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

some well spent hours durring mud season with a welder can have you a homemade stripper delimber. they are made about 20 miles from me and they are simple. the hardest parts to get would be the bearings and bushings.

ive never used a stripper unit but i have used a homemade one in eastern hemlock. it reminds me of brushing my teeth.

treefarmer87

Maine372 do you have any pics of you homemade unit?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Samuel

Obviously not homemade but in case you had not seen one before:

Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
Software Solutions-

treefarmer87

they are nice but a little too big for my operation
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

i didnt get any pics. i was just filling in for an hour for an operator that was out.  it was actually attached to a 210 prentice if memory serves. 

all you need is a little arm that sticks out in the gullet to kick the top knife over onto the log. then enough weight on the knife to hold it closed while you pull the log through. the stripper just has that little arm on top. the homemade rig had some weights on the end of the arm to help hold it closed.

treefarmer87

o ok sounds neat n simple
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

I believe we call them stroke delimbers. Not what many folks like to see on their lots leaving huge slash piles along the road. Unless your into burning or chewing it up some way for mulch. They are porcupine havens.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jim H

I think you guys might be talking about two different things. A logger that cut a tract for us had a small clamshell type delimber mounted on the front of the trailer his loader was on, I think this is a stripper? A stroke delimber is a large stand alone unit like in the pic above. 
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Bobus2003

Quote from: Samuel on June 10, 2010, 04:23:17 PM
Obviously not homemade but in case you had not seen one before:

Arn't these Boom stroke Delimbers?
Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 12, 2010, 04:53:20 AM
I believe we call them stroke delimbers. Not what many folks like to see on their lots leaving huge slash piles along the road. Unless your into burning or chewing it up some way for mulch. They are porcupine havens.

Its all thats used around here, then the USFS burns them in the winter, or BTP chips them

semologger

We use a 210 b or c cant think right now With a ctr. Pitchures in my gallery. the problem is that the 210 is a little small still. If you are going to do any hard wood Pulp its really hard on it. You need a loader with a good fast strong swing so you can get your swing going to to pop off the limbs. Our loader is about worn out now from all the abuse it has taken from the delimber. All we do is pine but when we did hardwood we had to use chainsaws to top. Now we are useing a chainsaw to top even in pine pulp. Loader dont have the power to pull thru.

Samuel

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 12, 2010, 04:53:20 AM

We call them strokers as well, but I thought that was what they were referring to with the stripper delimber.  As far as slash piles goes, what other alternatives to " along the road" are there in a high production operations?  Perhaps limbiing at the stump, but depending on how your operation is set up, that is less productive and harder on the machine as well walking through the blocks- these strokers are intended to sit on the road and work.  Also with the at the stump processing, you have a higher fire hazard and potential regeneration issues.
Software Solutions-

SwampDonkey

Really only a regeneration issue in the trails as a processor would limb in the trail and with a skidder the tops are more dispersed and breaks down quick and open enough for light on the established regen or for seed germination the next season. These old skidder clearcuts on hardwood with dispersed tops grow thick hardwood and trails usually get spruce regenerating, if not then aspen. Sometimes the regen is two layers thick, birch and aspen over the top of sugar maple and/or beech. If your in thick softwood regen that is fairly advanced, a delimber works fine as long as you get rid of the roadside slash. They used to burn here, but I guess they tested runoff into streams and that was stopped.  Then they planted the burn sites, but usually are full of 8 foot tall raspberry and pin cherry that grows 3 feet a year when they burnt. Otherwise there is acres of land that will not regenerate for decades. A thinner gets a reality check when he leaves that 50 meters of road side and hits a wall of softwood in behind. :D We have porcupine troubles as well from taking up residence in those piles, they'll skin everything that is alive and stationary. Sometimes eat the rubber off the tires of a parked vehicle or trailer. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JamesE. PikeLogging

the stripper delimbers are made in south paris, ME.

treefarmer87

I saw one on a hood slasher for sale in minnesota. if i was going to have a loader to delimb with it would have to be a 210,280,310,384,or 410. the 384 and 410 can handle them no problem. i just found my dream loader http://theoliverstores.com/forestry-popup.asp?item=20803&pic=71589
its not too high dollar either, and it has a saw package and it is the same age as me ;D
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Maine372

that 180 is only 20 miles from my house. but with a bad motor i dont think i could drive it down to ya.

if thats the loader of your dreams i can just imagine what a 384 with joysticks, AC and a stereo would do for ya.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!