iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to use "Liquidambar formosana" wood??

Started by vietnamforestry, June 03, 2010, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vietnamforestry

In my forest, there a lot of "liquidambar formosana" specie. they are mature. But I dont know the best way to make money from them?
anyone can help me?/

Tom

Usually, when you are in a place where your forest grows Sweet Gum, so does everyone else's forest grow it too.  It is a prolific species and there is usually plenty for the market.

Most young trees are sold from nurseries for yard shade trees.  Those in the forest find their way to low-cost carpentry, like pallet production.

There is one avenue for the lumber.  The mature trees that develop enough heartwood can be sawed for their heart lumber, which is know on the common market as Red Gum, and is prized by woodwoodworkers for cabinetry and furniture.  If they only knew what it really was, they might not be so enthused, but this is one of those areas where marketing has been successful.  The Sap wood is sold as Sap gum or White gum at a lessor fee.

The wood has interlocked grain and growing stresses cause it to warp, making it difficult to dry.  That is the main reason that you don't see too much of it on the market.

Of course, it is also chipped for fuel and paper pulp.  Because of the interlocked grain, it doesn't split too good, so you won't find it for fireplace wood.

The other main market for Sweet Gum (liquidambar) is for wood-turning stock.  It's resistance to splitting comes in handy when turning bowls and plates on a lathe.

vietnamforestry

thank a lot ..! if anyone want to buy it. please contact with me..!

Thank You Sponsors!