iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable skidders?

Started by Bridger, June 03, 2010, 01:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridger

Excuse the ignorance, but why do people run cable skidders still? They just don't seem like they would be as productive. In fact, in what little bit of logging activity I have actually witnessed, I can't recall having ever seen a cable skidder in action. Are there hidden advantages to running one?

aksawyer

There are many advantages to the cable machine.First you dont get that *DanG pain in the right side of your neck from spending the day watching for the log wanting to slip from the frozen arms of the grapple.If you are trying to skid very valuable logs like natural house logs,most customers I have hate grapple skid logs.We use 4" thick nylon pulling straps for that application,that latch right in to our normal chocker locks.In those steep spots where it is much shorter just to skid up-hill(try not to much)the advanyaqge of wqlking up in free spool is very nice.Try it wench your stuck buncher out with a grapple,could go on all day.....Aksawyer      84 degrees ytoday in Fairbanks     87 forest fires currently burning in state.

BaldBob

Yes grapple skidders are generally more productive in situations where the skidder can back up to the log(s).  However, in many situations, especially in light selective cuts, the skidder cannot get close enough to use a grapple.  Also, if the logs are not bunched, it is generally easier to make up a multi-log turn with a cable skidder than with a grapple, and in some situations the most efficient and productive way is to have a choker setter pre-setting the chokers for the skidder operator to simply hook up to and go.

Gary_C

All those things and the steep river valleys of SE MN hardwood country are no place for a grapple skidder, at least if it does not have a winch on it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Rick Alger

Worker's comp rates are lower for grapples - at least in nh.

treefarmer87

grapple skidders are more productive but i believe you have to have a system for whatever you are doing. if you have a grapple skidder, you are probably going to have a buncher and your production is going to go up. you will have to have a good dependable loader with a saw package and a limber to keep up with all the wood coming to the deck also, then you will need the trucks and trailers for hauling all the wood . Cable machines have their advantage also, they can winch logs you couldnt touch with a grapple skidder. they are usually smaller and lighter and are good for selective cuts. if you know what you are doing you can make a cable machine productive too. all my logs are cut with a chainsaw, i can make two loads a day and i get $300-$400 a load. the good thing about a grapple skidder is you dont have to get on and off ;)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Cause i cant afford a grapple skidder :D..

Bridger

Thanks for the replies, yall. Definitely a few things I had never considered.

barbender

I wish my machine had a grapple on it so I could use both, chokers when needed.
Too many irons in the fire

oldseabee

Clark 665 grapple had a way to pin up the grapple and had fairlead rollers built into the grapple arch so it could be used as a cable machine

treefarmer87

most grapple skidders have a winch also but most people dont use them very often around here. because most of the timber is on flat ground or a pine plantation
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JamesE. PikeLogging

me and my dad run a 665 but the grapple broke off it so now its a cable machine

treefarmer87

how did the grapple break?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

captain_crunch

Hate to say it but being used broke them :( :( A friend of mine has a 518 Grapple skidder and he is always welding on them. A skidder can put strains on grapples that they wern't designed to take
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

JamesE. PikeLogging

Quote from: treefarmer87 on June 04, 2010, 06:24:20 PM
how did the grapple break?

we were thinkin it mighta had a small crack that grew and then we were pullin some big pine and BANG

treefarmer87

o ok i saw a 748GIII in the local welding shop getting the grapple welded on the other day
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

barbender

A lot of stresses on that area.
Too many irons in the fire

Black_Bear

In the rough, steep terrain of VT, NH and western ME the cable skidder is alive and well. The cable skidder is not as common as it was 20 years ago, but cable skidders now fill a niche by pulling wood on slopes too rough and/or steep for grapples to efficiently, or safely, operate.

Hans1

It really depends on the job.  For my uses a cable machine is ideal we uses it for tsi or harvest of a few very select trees without hurting the remaining stand . Most of our trees are in deep ravines and at times our 150 foot cable is not enough.

Bobus2003

I have seen some patched up grapples :D, Most the work i do a Grapple skidder wouldn't work.

captain_crunch

Guess I just live in bad ground ;D ;D Lane coumty goes from sea level to 5200 ft in about 2 1/2 hr drive Skidder with grapple might be OK if logs were piled by something as to grab bunch but we may have to pull 150 ft of winch line and string chokers to get turn.  :) :) :)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ron Scott

We use cable skidders on a number of our cut-to-length harvests to remove the  tree lenghts from wetlands, riparian zones, and hillsides for bucking to lenght and then removal r to the landings by the forwarders. They are good back up machines for removing trees from the hard to get at places as previously mentioned by others. They are handy to have on any harvest job.
~Ron

amberwood

We use both, the TJ is winch only and great for the smaller jobs, and preloading the leaner edge trees. The 525 also has a winch which is rarely used. The harvester normally prebunched the tree length as he goes, or if handfalling we use the 322 to shovel them into to grapple sized piles.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

SwampDonkey

Mostly cable skidder on private woodlots. Dad had one for years since the 70's, horse before that. Used tractor only at edge of fields. Flat ground here on the farm. But, on most those hardwood ridges around here, the road were built to the top and a cable skidder crew was used. Easier to pull line down hill to the tree. Besides that at the bottom of most hills is a brook so can't build a road up a brook. They used to though, or within 20 feet of it, but that was mostly horse logging and small trucks. Roads were very narrow. There is an old road along most brooks on woodlots. I walk (exercise) on one in the fall  of the year on my cousin's ground. Gotta keep these bones moving or a man seizes up. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

grassfed

One thing that I do with a cable skidder is to winch trees so that I can top them in tender wet areas when I am putting in my skid trail. That way I can brush in spots before I drive over them. They are handy for that.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!