iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a Firewood Processor

Started by CuddleBugFirewood, June 02, 2010, 01:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuddleBugFirewood

Hi,

I recently entered the market for a new or used firewood processor, and was interested what experiences other members had.  I am looking at all makes and models, but the two closest manufactures are Multitek and Blockbuster.  I will be visiting them tomorrow and friday.  I am also interested in the Woodbine. 

I need something that can produce about 400-500 cords per year (I will do this part-time) and ideally the machine would produce 2 cords per hour. 

I was looking at the Blockbuster model 18-20, Multitek model 1616ez with slasher saw, or the Woodbine Junior. 

Any suggestions on things to consider?

My side business mainly produces firewood, but I also have a small portable mill (timberking b-20), and a skidder.  We do small scale timber harvesting and custom sawing.  The firewood business has continued to expand and we need a way to automate the bucking of the firewood and splitting functions, as I do not have enough time to produce the volume that is being asked from me the way we are currently operating. 

Thanks for your help.  This has been a great site.

sawdust

The search feature on this site is incredible. Should keep you reading for quite awhile! And people will add their experience too.

What diameter wood are you most likely to be processing?
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

CuddleBugFirewood

Most everything that goes for firewood should be under 16 inches.  I may run into some logs that will be larger than that occasionally.  We will be visiting with multitek tomorrow.  Looking forward to seeing their operation.

Buck

Let me know what you find out. Sounds like our thought process is quite similar. I have just received packages including videos form the same mfg companies. I want to bring my firewood sales to that level in La.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

mahonda

I own a blockbuster 15-20 but i had the boys at blockbuster add an aircompressor to it to increase cycle time because so much of my wood is under 18 inches, tops from logging side and such. I think its a great machine and better priced than most out there and the service is outstanding. Only thing i would change is the built on conveyor is to short for my setup i would change to a stand alone 30 footer for my outfit. I cut a couple hundred cords after hours every year.
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

twobears

i have three friends that own built-rite processors and they love them.two of them cut and sell 100,s of cords of firewood every year.the other guy cuts three households worth of outdoor boiler wood each year plus he had his processor changed so he could cut all his wood to boil maple syrup..all they do is fuel it up,change the motor oil and keep the chain sharp.

delbert

mainiac

Don't forget to check out one of the sponsors on here. Timberwolfe. I own one and love it. The clamping system is one of the reasons that sold me on it.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

gunman63

I got a 1x37 Hakki, looking  for bigger, they say 15 1/2" wood, thats if its perfect, no bends, not even slight, no limbs, or bumps or knots,  id say 12-13" wood,  then it will shine. Ive been looking at timberwolfs,  i to like the  clamping system. one thing i think when loooking at them is to have the controls and infeed deck on he same side, instead  of walking around it all if theres a mess on the deck. in thinking 20" wood needs to go thru it  on my next one

mainiac

I have the timberwolfe pro-mp and I can process 20" logs without much hassle. Just have to resplit alot of it as I use the 4-way wedge instead of the 6-way. I just throw the big stuff back into the splitter until it is small enough. I know a guy who has the same processor as I that throws the big chunks off to the side and uses his small splitter to resplit.

I processed some twisted cherry not to long ago. Slowed me some, but not much. That clamping system just kept pulling it through. I load my brow with a pulp truck and to straighten things out, I would prefer the set up with the controls where they are as I load the machine with the butts all towards the saw. The other end(top or small end) is easier to push around when needed. The only complaint I have is it will only hold a 14' log. wish there was a way to put a 28'.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

woodmills1

see if you have a sawmill you just pare down the big stuff till it fits the processor you buy
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!