Please visit this sponsor

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Price per mbf locust?  (Read 4841 times)

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
Price per mbf locust?
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:13:12 pm »
I was wondering what a good price was for Black locust logs, that are fairly good quality. I'm not sure but I was thinking maybe similar to the price of white oak?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Seems I do more construction work than sawmill work these days.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Re: Price per mbf locust?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »
Do you have a buyer for the logs?  Many times, you don't know the actual condition of Black Locust until you open it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini/Kohler

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:27 pm »
I just got an order for 48-4x4's and 6-6x6's all 8 foot, and the customer wants the 6's to be black locust, the 4's to be anything rot resistant. I have black locust logs from our woodlot, I was just trying to give the logs some kind of price in order to price the posts.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Seems I do more construction work than sawmill work these days.

Offline jwoods

• Who saw that?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:43:48 am »
You are competing against purchased 4by and 6 by posts out of any one of the box stores/lumber yards.  Do some checking on what it would cost the customer to buy those, at the same time figure out if they are willing to pay anything additional.

Joe

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:02 am »
The reason he is buying from me is that he didn't want to use anything with unnatural chemicals. He will be using these for grapevines in his garden. He wanted something natural that would last a long time.

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
  • What's for supper!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:23 am »
I'd price them the same as white oak Ty.
WM LT30HDD-E25

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:44:04 am »
Thanks norm, that's kinda what I was thinking, due to the rot-resistance and all. (and wear on blades ;))

Offline Kansas

• In Memoriam
  • In the mountains of Kansas
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:38 am »
I would probably be around the 1.50 bd ft for the finished product, thats on a true board foot basis. Depending on the quality of the logs, around 30-50 cents a board foot for the logs. The few black locust logs we have cut were all smaller; I really haven't seen a big one, so possibly the higher price if your using the Doyle scale and they are sound. Things might be different in your area.  Black locust cuts hard, at least my experience with it. You really aren't competing against pressure treated lumber.

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:15:07 am »
since you will be making a product that he cant get at lowes the price should be at least as much as the treated posts that size. here in ne ok hedge would be the rot resistant choice. they will last forever in the dirt but if you cement them in the water will get between the post and concrete and freeze and bust the concrete. i know some that have been in the ground for 40 years and are still good. the  treated pine that the lumberyards sell will be rotten at the ground,cement or not in less than 10 years.
    i sell a lot of oak trailer flooring this way.i price them the same as treated pine and sell them on the fact that it will last twice as long. i also learned to get a deposit if it is not someone i have dealt with before.  
Kansas is right the lumberyard is NO competition for you.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
 WM 94 LT40 hd. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »
I've cut locust before you're right it is hard, but I love the stuff. Just as rot-resistant as red cedar if not more, and it's hard as a rock when it's aged. It can get pretty big around here, 20"+.

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 01:56:05 pm »
Just remember when you are pricing it, That locust only lasts a little longer than granite .

Stonebroke

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:38 pm »
And it grows like a weed :D

Offline Faron

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:17 pm »
Ty, Here in Southern IN  it is pretty hard to find black locust of any size. It is usually pretty crooked as well.  I found a few one time big enough to cut one side and use as posts.  I could sell a lot of posts if I could find them big enough.  We have lots of honey locusts, the ones with the big ole thorns.  They grow pretty big and straight here, but don't last.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »
Faron, here in East Central Indiana, Honey locust is more common, but they grow to a good size also, and even faster. They like to try to take over our pasture every year. Black locust is not as common, but there is an area of our woods that has a lot of it.

I prefer the look of H. Locust over B. Locust, especially right off the saw, cause of the bright oranges and pinks. Whenever I cut one I feel like I'm cutting some kind of exotic.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 09:18:42 pm »
I would think that selling a 4x4 black locust post for the same price as a treated pine 4x4 in the Box Store is pricing the locust way too low.  They are a specialty product and should command a premium price over the treated pine, at least double.
Woodmizer LT15, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 09:35:07 pm »
Thanks for the helpful tips guys, and WDH, I wasn't sure how "specialty" black locust was considered, so thanks for the heads up! I'll remember that next time..

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 12:53:51 am »
Finding a niche is what small mills are all about. We have a lot of black locust on the property at work, and have made a lot of fence parts out of it. Last year I made a corral out of 6x6 posts and 2x6 planks, all held together with Timberloks. Prices I've heard for various black locust products are around $1.50/ft. I don't know what PT is at the lumberyard, but I don't think it will last like locust. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 09:23:09 pm »
PT posts are about $.85/bd-ft here.
Woodmizer LT15, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com