iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing Blade users?

Started by Simplesaw, June 02, 2010, 10:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simplesaw

I am designing a swing blade mill and trying to find out how convenient the horizontal blade guard should be at removal for the double cut.

scsmith42

Mine stays off the saw, because I double cut on almost every log.  Ideally it should be easy to swing up and out of the way when double cutting, and then swing back into place for the rest of the time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

scrout

ErikC

I replaced the  regular nuts with wingnuts to make removing the guard easier. I often leave it off when double cutting a lot. Flipping out of the way would be great.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sigidi

Taking the saw guard off to double cut is one of the reasons I initially shied away from a Peterson, I figure human nature would see you leave it off once you took it off  :(

Doing it with my Lucas is different, but I am never tempted to leave the guards off...
Always willing to help - Allan

Part_Timer

I made a couple of changes to my guard.  First I changed to wing nuts like ErikC and I cut just a small amount off the bottom so I can back cut 4 quarters boards without removing the guard.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Simplesaw.  Good questions.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mcfcfan

Quote from: sigidi on June 04, 2010, 06:49:09 AM
Taking the saw guard off to double cut is one of the reasons I initially shied away from a Peterson, I figure human nature would see you leave it off once you took it off  :(

Doing it with my Lucas is different, but I am never tempted to leave the guards off...
FYI guys.
The " GUARD" you have to remove on a Peterson to double cut is not a blade guard.
It is the saw dust deflector, totally different and totally safe.
Cheers
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

sigidi

Lee, I had a table saw, which had a hood (for want of a better word to describe it) which sits above the piece of timber you're cutting and over any part of the blade which comes through the timber - this too will deflect sawdust, is this a saw dust deflector or a guard? Maybe the terminology of it being a 'saw guard' was wrong - and when thinking about a swinger, I suppose the only 'saw guard' would be the hood used in the vertical cuts.

I was trying to point out, I felt people would be more likely to take it off and leave it off. It's not supposed to be left off is it? My impression of the process would be the 'saw dust deflector' stays on to do the first edge and the first half of the face of the board, then motor switched off - blade stops (in my case spark plugs disconnected - cause I am that way), deflector gets taken off, edge of board gets cut, then remaining face of board is cut, reverse process to put deflector back on, back to left side of log and repeat. Given this process, I'm thinking folks would leave that deflector off all the time and if they do, then it's not there to do it's job and it's not as safe as it should be ???

Captain

It is a guard when an odd piece from the edge of a log gets grabbed by the blade and dongs the  "sawdust deflector".  I double cut often.  But wings nuts are nice  :)
Taking the sawhead and turning it around in the tracks to doublecut is one of the reasons I initially shied away from the Lucas.  
HaHa just kidding Sigidi, had to do it  :D

Captain

sigidi

No worries Captain - only chuckin up ya thoughts, that's how it is hey? ;)

woodsteach

Guard that needs removed for double cutting????   What are you guys talking about??? ;D ;D

Check out the brand X swing mill  8)

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

NZJake

Wow totally right no guard!  ::)

I remember one of the last things I was working with at Peterson's before I moved on was a deflector guard mounted to the secondary pivot unit so big chunks wouldn't catch the blade and spin around to the operator. Don't know if they've employed that yet. None the less, the smaller this gap the more force the blade will catch the small chunk and throw it. The blade deflects down and lodges into the piece. The second guard is a good precaution.

I'd have to agree with Captain on the guard thing. I would definately clasify it as a guard. The guard removal thing (when double cutting) was always mitigated by the fact that the sawyer is to the left of the log while the blade is to the right. That horizontal guard prevents chunks from flinging around when the saw is set at its upper limits. It also stops the sawdust too.

An automated swingblade makes double cutting real easy.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

sigidi

A while ago there was a little discussion about brandx sawmills on our aussie forum - not a lot of flattering thoughts where put forward, but obviously no-one had ever used one - just impressions and opinions put forward.

Also recently discussed the turbosaw that Jake and Carl Peterson are putting together too...

interesting...

Captain

Hey Allan we're doing pretty well.  Actually I wish I were not so busy at the Fire Department and the Car Business to saw some more this spring.  Busiest spring sawing season in 3 years.

Captain

sigidi

So Captain, forgive my ignorance, you are Jake Peterson? is that right?

mcfcfan

Quote from: sigidi on June 17, 2010, 05:19:02 AM
So Captain, forgive my ignorance, you are Jake Peterson? is that right?

Sigidi, When Captain reads this he will have a real good laugh :D :D :D :D
Captain, Looking forward to your reply 8) :) ::)
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Captain

Ummm...no.  That would be NZJake.  At the risk of not entertaining Lee, I'll keep it right there.

Captain

sigidi

First I said this;

Quote from: sigidi on June 13, 2010, 06:02:00 AM

Also recently discussed the turbosaw that Jake and Carl Peterson are putting together too...

Got reply from you saying;

Quote from: Captain on June 14, 2010, 09:03:58 PM

Hey Allan we're doing pretty well.  Actually I wish I were not so busy at the Fire Department and the Car Business to saw some more this spring.  Busiest spring sawing season in 3 years.

So from the reply then I figure Captain seems to be responding to my comment about Jake and Carl and as there is only a pseudonym to go by I ask who 'Captain' is?

I know for a while, back when I was first here, some lads worked for Peterson but their forum names didn't reflect that so it was difficult to know who was who in the zoo, just trying to square it away in my head... so who are you Captain? (not trying to be rude or anything)

Captain

Lots of people have the same question.  ;D 

Jeff

Quote from: sigidi on June 11, 2010, 07:06:05 AM

Jeez, I gotta come in from the woods to keep you upside down swingboys straight?

Above is what Captain replied to I bet.  Reads like how's it been.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ErikC

Well Jeff it's like this--Horizontal one minute, vertical the next. How can a guy keep track of things?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sigidi

Quote from: Jeff on June 19, 2010, 05:34:30 PM
Quote from: sigidi on June 11, 2010, 07:06:05 AM

Jeez, I gotta come in from the woods to keep you upside down swingboys straight?

Above is what Captain replied to I bet.  Reads like how's it been.

Ah good on ya Jeff, now I'm back on the understandin wagon, but ya gotta type pretty slow for us down here, it's a long way ya know?

Thank You Sponsors!