iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 051 AV Elec

Started by sixrivers, May 31, 2010, 12:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixrivers

Good Morning from a newb to the board...
I have an 051 that I bought in the early 80's.  It's been an absolute jewel that's required no repairs until recently.  A local shop determined it was leaking oil into the cylinder.  As I don't use it as much anymore, the Tech said that storing it against the wall on it's bar tip would prevent oil from entering the cylinder.  This seemed like good advise and has worked for a while but the leak has obviously gotten worse as it only takes a short time splitting firewood for enough oil to get in there so that the saw wants to rip your hand off when you attempt to fire it up again.
  I think it's time to rebuild this guy.  I'm actually looking forward to it however my local shops tell me that some parts may no longer be available?  My hope is that through buying a manual and getting some advise on sites like this one that I can find all the parts necessary to do the rebuild myself.
  I'm a fishing guide and in construction so money's tight.  On the bright side, I'm tooled up fairly well and have decent mechanical abilities (and the shop owner is a fishing client).
  The easy way is to take him fishing as a trade but as I said before, I'm looking forward to the rebuild myself.
  Anyone out there with similar experience?

Frickman

Your dealer might not know it, but the 051's are still made in Brazil for the South American market. Parts should be available from Stihl, though they take a while to get and the dealer might have to use some "alternative channels" to get them.

I had two 051's, one still had the original 24" bar. We had to part ways though as they weren't equipped with chain brakes and as an employer subject to OSHA rules I couldn't use them anymore. I could have put a low kick back chain on them but that would have ruined them.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

sixrivers

Frick,
  Thanks for the response.  I've been spending time on Ebay - lots of parts available so I think I'm set.

Thank You Sponsors!