iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

county/ford tractors used in forestry operations

Started by rideabout, May 29, 2010, 05:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rideabout

hi all
i`m new on here and have interest in finding county/ ford conversion tractors being used in forestry operations in canada/north america.
all information will be greatfully received
regards

pete

fishpharmer

rideabout, welcome to forestry forum!   I am not familiar with the tractors you write about.  So I did a little googling and came up with this........
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/county/county-tractors.html

That's the extent of my info. and from the looks of the photo in the link, I don't see why a County tractor wouldn't work with the limitations of a farm tractor in general.   There has been much discussion about logging with farm tractors.  With the vast body of knowledge held by the forum members as a whole I feel confident someone will give you better info than I.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mark K

Them county tractors pop up at auctions around here from time to time. I now alot of transmission and engine parts interchange with standard ford tractors. Our New holland dealer said the only trouble was finding 4 wheel drive parts and they took a football field to turn them around.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

rideabout

thanks for the welcome and fast reply.
the county tractors i`m most interested in tracing are the later models based on the last ford tractor range ( the 40 series ).
There were very few manufactured ( maybe as few as 10 ) and most of these were sold into canada and i have been told that they were all destined for forestry work.
There was also some kits sold to this region for conversions. I have a picture of one based on the ford 8340 but believe that the the 6640 (4 cylinder ) model made up 8 of the 1o produced.
Here is a link to a picture of the version
http://www.oldpond.com/acatalog/images/illustrations/fordtractorconversions1.jpg

Mark K

I didn't realize they made them that new. I've only seen the old ones based on the 00 and 10 series. I know there are a few around here called Muir-hill, I think thats how it's spelled.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

fishpharmer

rideabout, I think the the four big tires would be an advantage in most woods.    Personally, I have never really liked the idea of an unprotected glass cab in the woods.  But, I am no logger.  Have you got a County tractor? or thinking of getting one to do some logging.

Talk with you later, going to plant some okra before it rains.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!