iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to keep boards from falling over when edging on WM?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 28, 2010, 07:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

When I'm edging on my WM, I wish the boards kept standing up after I put down the clamp, long enough for me to walk around to grab them and keep them vertical while I clear the edgings and proceed to sort out the finished ones or flip them over.  It would be great to have something other than the clamp, or the customer, to hold them up.  Or a way of running the clamp after I walk around to hold them up myself.  No matter how many times I ask the customer/helper to hold the boards up until I walk around,  they always seem to lapse into clearing the edgings first while I wait and wait for them to remember to hold up the boards so I can come around.  I remind once or twice but draw the line at lecturing or shouting instructions( :)).   It would save a lot of time edging if something under my control were to hold up those boards after the clamp is released and lowered.  Any ideas?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Just realized that a lot of the problem (but not all of it) of boards tipping over comes from the boards which are unedged on both sides, and that I have a choice as to which side to place down. One way and it will tend to tip to the outside (bad) and the other where it will tend to tip towards the supports (good). Maybe choosing the latter would help out.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

LOGDOG

I'm guessing you have the two plane clamp? I don't. I have the old fashioned flip down clamp but I've sawed with mills that have the two plane clamp. One thing I do is just back the clamp off maybe a couple/few inches so that I have enough slack to get the boards loose. If they tip, they tip into the clamp at the top and are back stopped at the bottom by the boards towards the rail. Something else I do is edge in batches when using the mill. Edge by size of flitches that are close to the same. It lessens the number of boards in the batch and makes for easier handling. If edging a large group of boards, I'll put those that have one edge already ripped on the inside. They're usually more stable and don't need to be flipped, just have the one edge ripped off as I work down through the dimensions. The boards that have two edges and need to be flipped will be on the outside edge where they can tip over and can be flipped with ease because they're loose from the others.

pineywoods

Yeah, turn all the boards to be edged so they will tend to lean toward the inside. Also, I find it helps to edge while sawing boards from the cant, just stand the flitches up beside the cant. Another trick I use is to toss a 4 ft long piece of 4X4 up against the flitches.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LeeB

Pull the trim off before you jig back and stack from narrowest toward the dogs with the widest board toward the clamps. As the others have said, turn the bark toward the dogs and it helps to have a 3 or 4" cant between the flitches and the dogs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

logwalker

I ran a 2 pull ropes from overhead thru pulleys then back to the head of the saw and down to the lever. So I can run the flap clamp in or out while I hold the boards.
there are many times when you can use the clamp. It is one of the best things I have done to the mill. The picture is the wooden handles tied to the end of the cords.

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

LOGDOG

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 28, 2010, 07:46:33 PM
  No matter how many times I ask the customer/helper to hold the boards up until I walk around,  they always seem to lapse.........Any ideas? 

Yup, just stand there and wait until they stand them back up.   ;D

Since I've only used a two plane clamp, standing and holding flitches generally isn't a problem for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

of course, :D, once you gets ya DanG self an edger that will no longer be a problem
and the "helpers" be all the way down at the other end :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

paul case

an edger  or some DanG youngan with a half a chance of remembering. i must have amnesia with a side order of alzhiemers or i just like to see history repeat itself!  :Dpc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Yesterday was bark side toward the supports and what a difference. 

Thank You Sponsors!