iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with atv choice

Started by Timbercrk1, May 28, 2010, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercrk1

Hi guys and gals.
      Did alot of reading on here and trying to make a decision. I am looking at the honda rubicon, rincon, and yamaha grizzly (my bro has one and he wants me to get it). haha. What are the positives and negatives of these models? Is there options that I would like to have etc.? Low gear? I am getting 4x4. 500cc or greater.  I also think manual is the way to go?? I like honda but I am open to Yamaha. I am buying used have a budget of roughly $4000. I am also thinking of adding mattracks or other brand in a year or so. Thanks for all the help. I love this forum!!!! my gf thinks I'm addicted. haha.   ;D

jjmk98k

Dont overlook the Bombardier (Can-Am) Outlander.  I have a Outlander MAX and simply love it.
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Timbercrk1 on May 28, 2010, 07:45:04 PM
I also think manual is the way to go??

The only way to own an ATV is with a manual transmission IMO/IME there is much less to go wrong with them and they just flat out work. I'm a firm believer in my Arctic cat 500I with a 5 speed. It has held up to tons of abuse from farming, trail riding, snow plowing, pulling junk around, logging, etc. One thing I noticed when looking at ATV's is that some have reverse and low range on the same lever making it impossible to have low range and reverse at the same time, my AC has them separately so you get low and reverse if needed. It also has a locking front differential which really helps when the going gets tough. If this one ever dies I will just rebuild it because they no longer offer the manual transmissions.

sawguy21

Is it going to be a work horse or recreational ride? The Rincon is a fun ride with lots of bells and whistles but I preferred the Rubicon. The Foreman is tough to beat as a work/play machine. I have no experience with other brands.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed

+1 on what are the intended uses.

IME and bound to cause trouble.....don't leave out Polaris, only 1 problem with my Polaris 6x6 in 11 years.

Ed

Burlkraft

Power steering is a great option. I have it on my Honda.

I also know that you can roll a Honda 3 times. They are like a kat and land on their wheels and are still running.

Just limp over and hop on and ride home......... hurt_smiley   hurt_smiley   smiley_horserider
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Toolman

I love my Polaris Sportsman 550. I can pull well over a ton with that thing. A power winch on the front is a pretty handy option to have also.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

stonebroke

Honda is the choice.I have had them all and will never buy anything but a honda again. I am a farmer and put alot of miles on mine. Zip trouble in 6500miles. Now if I could get some tires that would last that long.

Stonebroke

Bobus2003

I have a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 650's, an '06 and '08.. I love them.. Tough machines, but there automatics.. They can be gotton with either independant rear or a solid rear axle, 4x4 w/diff lock.. I have just shy of 6K miles on my '06 and 500miles on my '08.. Havent had any major problems with them yet and i'm rather hard on them (Pleasure riding and work, Fencing & logging).. Just replaced my belt on my '06 and the dealer said it coulda lasted longer

cheyenne

The Honda Forman with manual tranny is the only way to go. It will outwork & out last anything out there. If you set it up right it's the best low impact skidder in the woods.........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

pappy19

American made Arctic Cat fan here. I've had warranty problems with Polaris so went with Arctic Cat and like them alot better.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Woulde

I'm in the market for an ATV also.  I looked at a 2007 Bombardier 400 Outlander Max XT just this morning.  This is the two-up quad model.  Had the winch and skid plate/frame protector.  Only 850 miles and 83 hours.  Looks and rides brand new.  Asking $4,500.

I'm really tempted to buy, but going to sleep on it.

Primarily going to use it as a work vehicle pulling small felled trees to fire pit.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good buy and use for this vehicle? 

jander3

I like my Polaris 500 H.O. sportsman...tough and strong.

I pulled 30 foot logs in a few miles one at a time with a borrowed Honda Foreman, it worked well.

Raider Bill

I've got a Honda Foreman and 2 yamahas, ones a wolverine which is all time 4wd and the others a Big Bear. I like them all although the Wolverine is somewhat hard to handle but it's a tank.
All manual transmissions.  I've tried a automactic before, more of a leasure buggy IMO. I have never tried power steering but would like to.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Woulde

What does IMO/IME stand for?

It apparently has something to do with the transmission. 

I googled IMO and independent medical opinion popped up.  That ain't it. :D

Raider Bill

"In My Opinion" Non Medically speaking of course :D

scgargoyle

I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Mooseherder

Don't rule out Suzuki. :)
We have 2 Suzuki Vinson 500s.  2004 and 2005  My brother also has one, a 2004.
His has 6500 miles, mine have 3300 and 2800.
They had great Write ups in 4 Wheeler Magazine back in 2003.  They were the overall winner in class and a favorite of the 5 Test Drivers.
They are all automatic.  I'd buy another if needed and stick with the Automatic.
I've shifted enough gears.  Plus it ain't like a car automatic, it's more like a centrifugal clutch that engages with throttle.  There is a Low Range and High Range.  Low Range 4 Wheel engaged it'll go where you want. ;)
Knock on Wood.  The only thing I have had to do is replace a Battery in the 2005 Vinson.  The 2004 has the original Battery.

petefrom bearswamp

I have 2, a 2001 Honda Rubicon foreman which is my work machine here on my home "Ranch" 129 acres of central NYS northern hardwoods.
For my recreation I have a 2004 Polaris 400 sportsman which rides like a dream.
I keep this at my Adirondack camp for deer hunting and general recreation riding.
The Rubicon is a genuine work horse and the polaris has its niche also as a recreation machine.
both are good machines for their purpose.
PS I have owned since 1983 6 honda and 2 polaris.
only   2 were not what I expected, a 1993 Honda foreman 300 and the 2001 Polaris 500.
But all functioned.
Cheers Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

PS I am 72 years young and still going pretty strong.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

saltydog

honda  i have a 95 honda 300 4x4 bought it new .skidded 40 acrs of ceader with it.it was my first skidder . have put 345 bucks into it .a starter and one cv boot. use it every day to feed cows goats hogs and plow driveway every winter .change oil once a year only second sparkplug. simply cannot beat a honda for reliability.neighbor bought a polaris sportsman same time hes on his third one .i also pull a 6 foot drag in my garden every spring .
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Bobus2003

I had a 2000 Polaris Magnum 500, It was a fair machine.. It had 15,351mile son it when i finally replaced it with my Kawasaki.. It was a great quad, though it had a appetite for Clutches.. I put in 9 of them in its 6 years of life

Woulde

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 04, 2010, 03:30:39 PM
"In My Opinion" Non Medically speaking of course :D

Oh jeez,  I suppose I was looking too deep!

FWIW, the Bombardier sold for the asking price of $4,500..... to someone else.  You snooze you loose! 

I'll look into the Honda's after all those good recommendations. 

Raider Bill

So what's it mean medically speaking?

Woulde

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 07, 2010, 10:06:02 AM
So what's it mean medically speaking?

Senility has reared its ugly head. :o

Thank You Sponsors!