iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making beveled lap siding

Started by Larry, May 28, 2010, 04:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Kathy wanted board and bats on one of the porches of our new house.  No problem...I sawed plenty of cedar last fall.  Didn't get it up fast nuff, which gave time for a mind change.  She now wants beveled lap siding.  No problem...but how to saw it?

Pick up the board here.

Stick it in here.  Clamps on the right side adjust the bevel angle.

Pull it out here.  The plywood is to hopefully protect the feeder from a broken band.  Temporary fence clamped on to see how it works.

Boards came out very consistent.  I was really surprised at how fast it went.  Sat up proper, which I wasn't  I can see an easy 600 square feet per hour.  The feeder runs 12 fpm or even faster...do the math.

Confession time.  My jig needs some improvement.  HDPE on the bed would help feeding.  I had to apply Gulfwax regularly to keep it feeding.  I need a pressure wheel or feather board over the blade as I was getting snipe on the last few inches of each board.  Skate rollers would be needed to get the big numbers.  As I mentioned my boards were originally sawn for board/bats and were too thin to get two pieces of siding out of each board.  Think I'll make the improvements, slap some paint on it, and hope a job comes up where I can use it again.  Still the jig is way better than whatever is in second place.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cedarman

With WM resaw attachment set at an angle on the WM bed and mill head at appropriate height we made 7000 lineal feet in less than 2 hours yesterday.  11 seconds per 8' board making 2 pieces of 8" wide beveled siding from each board.  When sawing the 1x8 we keep back 3 or 4 low grade boards to make test runs. Set up time is about 15 minutes from the time we get the resaw to when we are running full blast.  I got the resaw many many years ago.  A great moneymaking attachment.

If we didn't have the resaw, we would do like Larry. You have cooked up a good way to make some very nice siding. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ely

i made some once, i just propped up one side of my cant and sawed it the thickness i wanted. it wasnt for me though, i always just use boards never the tapered stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!