iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying ahead of the tub grinder

Started by metalspinner, May 25, 2010, 04:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

My buddy called this morning with a hot lead.  It turns out a big tree service in town had a tub grinder at their place clearing out the dump.  They allowed us to mark the logs we wanted.  8) They would put them aside until last then will grind up whatever we couldn't pick up. :)

The beast...

Oh, they had one of these, too. :)

The best way to load logs. 8)

Load number one.  Two nice walnuts.  These are for my buddy.

Look at my big ash.

This ash has about 500bf in it with the small end about 38".  It appears to be clear as a bell.  Still to pick up are several more ash logs, about 10 white oaks that are in the 24"-28" range, some cedar and whatever else they uncover and we can get to before the grinder. 8)

Busy, busy, busy...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

You are going to need to build a bigger drying shed, the same boat that I am in  :D. 

I priced an open sided agricultural metal barn that is 30' by 75' to put the little LT15 under and to have good room for air drying stacks.  Price was $9200 installed.  That does not sound too bad.  I am seriously considering it since if I need to air dry a lot of lumber (which I hope to do), I do not need to be stepping all over myself  :).

Those are some beautiful logs!  I cannot wait to see pics of the output!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Congratulations !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Metalspinner, maybe you need a bigger truck and trailer too. 8) 8)

WDH, that's a heck of a good price for a shed.  Do they work in MS?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sjfarkas

That's a horizontal grinder and they can't take big wood.  We had a peterson 4700 and it couldn't take over 28" and it didn't like 24" wood.  You definately got a good score. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

WDH

FF,

It is a company called Vulcan located in Adel, GA.  Maybe they have a branch in your area.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

This evening after dinner we headed back out.  No help with the loader tonight, so we did it the old fashion way.  One 12' x 26" white oak and two big cedars.  My buddy brought his little trailer and we put a few persimmon on it.

It got dark on us kind of quick so that was all we could do for the night.  Later this week I will head out to see what else we can grab.

WDH,
A drying shed is definatly in my future.  In fact, when the forum was pulled up tonight, DonK scissor truss was on the front page.  That looks just about right for what I had in mind. ;)

fish,
A bigger trailer?!?  That will only get me into more trouble. :D  When I got in this afternoon, a friend called with another lead on 30+ tree length logs. :o  That's just too much.  But maybe I will go pick a few out to meet my needs.  And then there are the other 5 logs down the street... smiley_dizzy
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!