iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill beam planer

Started by frwinks, May 25, 2010, 12:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frwinks

pressed for time, with the raising of our frame end of June, I am forced to change my original plan to hand plane all of the pcs of our frame :(   I've been using the head off of my dewalt 12.5" planer to free hand plane beams to get the "fuzzy's" off before hand planing, so the next step was easy... mount the head onto my unfinished sawmill.
The set up works great, the rollers on the planer head keep the carriage moving forward, there is no snipe at either end and no tear outs.  Have about 60-70 pcs to go 8)

Here's to hoping I can meet the deadline and finally get our frame up this year ;D ;D
planing a reclaimed doug fir 12x11 floor girt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-i7nNasEjc

cheers to a fella' on here who posted some pics of his set up a while back ;)

krusty

that is frikin awesome and thought of doing something similar if I ever go for the planed look. Can you provide some details on how you attached the planer head to the frame etc?

frwinks

;D thanks... right now it's very low tech :D  a couple of clamps, some 2x2 angle to eliminate hop and that's about it.  I'm pressed for time, so I figured I'd try it this way, if the thing fell apart after one pass I would mod it... after doing about 10 pcs, so far so good so I ain't touchin' it ;D
Once the frame is up and dried in, I can spend some time on the mill, finish it finally and cut my siding hopefully in time before the white stuff flies again...

Brad_bb

Yes I am very impressed.  Attention band mill makers, make an attachment for doing this!!  I haven't bought a mill yet, but also having a planing attachment like this on a manual mill would spur me to go for it!  Also, how about adding a sander roll attachment too for beams/planks?

Would another video be possible with closeups of the planer and how you mounted it?  How about some details on how you made your sawmill frame and carriage.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thehardway

Congrats!  You pulled off what I have been thinking about for a long time.  Your mill frame looks very similar to the 4 post design my Hudson Oscar uses.  As an improvement I might reccommend a chip chute or blower attachment. 

A bonus to planing fixed timbers with a head that rides on a fixed track is that there is no way for the timber or planer to twist.  It should yield a perfectly square timber every time.

I first thought about doing this with my saw when I saw a railroad tie planing machine in a timberframe shop.  The log was dogged to a carriage which was mounted to rails.  It was then passed under a fixed planer head. 

Where did you get your planer head and what brand did you use?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thehardway

Sorry Jim, got so distracted by the video I forgot to read the whole post :-[
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Logosol Steve

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we at Logosol offer a beam planer/moulder. http://www.logosol.us/bandsaw-mills/log-molder-lm410/   It comes in gas(9hp) or electric and fits on most bandsaws. Please feel free to contact me for further details

Steve
Logosol
601-707-8725

Jim_Rogers

How's that work with a Woodmizer single track mill?

frwinks

you're absolutely right thehardway.  Over the two years I've been at this, most of my sticks developed some twist and working with reclaimed timber, it's a given.  Not that it matters much now since all of the joinery has been cut, but the planer is taking some of the twist/crown out for sure.  I was expecting snipe and tear out at the joints, but so far it's all good.    

My mill design is based around the Hudson farmboss 36, started building a while back, then our PE requested stamped timbers and not having any luck finding a travelling grader, I ended up buying timbers and putting the mill build on the backburner :(  About half way through the cutting process I realized what a big mistake that was...but on the other hand it forced me to learn snapline square rule and some scribe techniques which are a lot more enjoyable than just cuttin' perfect sticks all day long IMO ;D

the mill build thread (which is well overdue for an update)is @:
http://www.diybandmill.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Brad, I'll take another vid with some closeups this weekend...

Brad_bb

It looks like that Logosol planer is designed to work on a 2 track planer like the LT10 and LT15.  Way cool.  That would be neat for fixing the reference faces of some wanky sticks when you don't want to snap lines, provided they aren't soo wanky to be impractical for the planer.  I'm also thinking that it would be great for cleaning up some reclaim, as long as you remove all the metal/nails/staples etc.
    I also wonder how a similar type attachment with a sanding drum would do, for when you want to keep some of the original saw marks(circular or band), but want to smooth it a little bit to take the fuzz off?  I wonder if the sanding drums on compression springs would allow it to follow the timber better?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

LOGDOG

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 27, 2010, 10:17:01 AM
How's that work with a Woodmizer single track mill?

Now Jim ....  ;) Sounds like a challenge Logosol Steve. Can you build it? I don't think it would be that complicated actually. Might not be cost effective though.

Logosol Steve

Hi Jim/LogDog

Unfortunatly thats a challenge I can't accept....design is not in my skill set :-[.  In all seriousness though it currently will not work on the single track mills although they(Logosol Sweden) are looking at ways to adapt it. As you said LogDog it doesn't seem complicated but cost effectiveness will probably drive it.

If/when I hear something I will update.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!!!

Logosol Steve

LOGDOG

Logosol Steve,

You know I'm just giving you a hard time right? Actually the beam planer/log moulder you currently offer could easily be set up on a homemade track of angle iron secured to a solid base likely if a person didn't have a twin track frame. I've got an extra LT15 frame that I think I'm going to put one on.

Logosol Steve

No worries here LogDog.

Actually I have a guy that did exactly what you said with the angle iron. It is working out very good for him. L15 track would be perfect for it. Let me know when I can take your order :)

Steve

Jim_Rogers

Steve:
Does the head move up and down to change thickness?
Or would you have to move the log up and down?

Logosol Steve

Hi Jim,

The head moves up and down and side to side as well.

Steve

LOGDOG

Logosol Steve,

I'm sitting here watching the video of the LM410 on your website again. Couple of questions:

1.) When are you going to do a video in English? I would think you could just dubb over the swedish with the translated version. We'd like that.  ;D

2.) Do you happen to have some pictures of the LM410 mounted on the LT15 chassis? I'd like to see the mounts and how that is all configured.

Thanks!

Logosol Steve

Good Morning LogDog,

1) They are working on new videos as well as moulding knife and product catalogs. Not sure when they will be out but shouldn't be too far off. I'll keep you posted as I am eagerly awaiting them as well. My Swedish is limited to the understanding of a handful of words.

2) I will check around for pictures of it on an LT15.

Thanks
Steve

ljmathias

Logosol: I don't mean to be impolite but it would sure be nice to know a price range for you beam planar- dollars are scarce right now for me so maybe there's a hefty Gulf Oil Spill discount about to be announced?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Logosol Steve

Hi ljmathias,

Your not being impolite at all. It is on sale right now for $4999 gas or electric. Goes up on the 2nd of June to $5120

Thanks
Steve

LOGDOG

Steve,

Any luck on those pics of an LT15 with the Logosol moulder on top of it or the mounting apparatus?

Thanks.  :)

Logosol Steve

Morning LogDog,

Unfortunatley I do not. Still waiting to hear back on it. If/when I get something I will let you know.

Thanks
Steve

Piston

Frwinks,
I can't see the video I think because it's blocked on my server.  Any chance of posting some pics of your set up?  I'd love to see it attached.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Stumpkin

Woodmizer is also working on a beam planer/ moulder for the LT15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKQYhuIsUQ

Hopefully they will make one to run on the single rail mills like my LT40.
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

LOGDOG

I like the looks of the WoodMizer moulder. I wonder when the rollout will be in the U.S.A.?

Jim_Rogers

Hopefully they will have some kind of sawdust chute on it to collect the shavings...... not having it seems bad.....

frwinks

on the lowtech version, the shavings get blown off on the return pass ;D

LOGDOG

That's what leaf blowers are for guys.  ;D ;)

Thank You Sponsors!