iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Durability

Started by JHBC, May 24, 2010, 08:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHBC

Hello to all,  I am writing to find out experience related opinions about the durability/reliability of specific models of Huskys and Stihls.  I have both, so brand loyalty is not a factor here.  I have been informed recently by a friend who is part of a five man operation working in old and second growth, cedar, fir, spruce forest, that they have rotated out their saws over the last two years.  All of those were Husky, the favorite being the 380, and they have been replaced with: 1x ms880, 2x 395xp, 2x ms660, 1x ms362, and 4x ms460.  I have been told the Huskys are having issues working long days in heavy rain, that the Stihls are not.  Any info about this, or any long term hard service opinions are appreciated.
Thanks
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

SawTroll

The Husky 380 is a very old model, from the 1970s - the basic design (180) being from 1968 or so........

Ignitions were a bit different back then!
Information collector.

JHBC

Hey saw troll, why the response if my question seemed so stupid. 
I have a 380, and I've got no complaints about it, like I said I use other saws too.  Yeah I know the 380xp is an older design, that what a lot of guys seemed to like about them.  I was putting the question out there, that of all the different saws being used, what ones have people been the most satisfied with, or not.  I have an ms441. I like it so far, but I've heard a lot of negative reports.  One member "Holman Tree" sounds like a guy who know his saws.  He has good things to say about his 576xp.  I haven't used one, nobody I know has used one.  So it was helpful to read his take on them.  The fallers I mentioned were big Husky fans, but they were having some problems, so for the most part, they switched to Stihls.  I mentioned that as an example. If you or anyone else has an angle on anything that you have used extensively, I would, and probably some others would appreciate it for considering future purchases.

SawTroll

The question is not stupid, and I didn't say that it is - my main point is that the "rain issue" probably is related to different generations of saw ignitions, and not to the brand of the saws. 
Information collector.

Ed

Quote from: SawTroll on May 25, 2010, 03:28:59 PM
The question is not stupid, and I didn't say that it is - my main point is that the "rain issue" probably is related to different generations of saw ignitions, and not to the brand of the saws. 

SawTroll tells it like it is. Period.
There was no ill will or bias....just the facts.

Ed

Mark K

I've never had a problem with my Husky's in heavy rain or any other element that mother nature has thrown at them. I run mainly 372's and 385's along with 044, 046 and 441 stihl's. They've been pretty durable. I have a 2100 that cuts out as soon as there is a mist in the air  :D but I think that is due to a bad plug wire.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Mark K

I am going to pick another one up before there gone. I have 2-372's in the woods and 1 in the mill. I think they are one of the best saws made and will be hard to top. I'd like to run one of them 576's some more. Our dealer still has just over 60 left. I've also had good luck with my 044's so I bought a 441. Took a while for that saw to grow on me.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

SawTroll

The 372xp is a ledgendary model for good reasons, and well worth picking up!   8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

JHBC

Hi again,
Thanks guys for the thumbs up on grabbing up a 372. I probably will.  I also can't help wanting to track down a 576 and try it out.

Holy s**t, my apologizes for some early confusion, mostly to saw troll. My 38(five) is old, but just over ten years.  I typed in 380 about fives times too. Sorry for the mix up.  I've got to get my eyes checked, or spend more time reading what I've written.

I did have an old 041av that I used for a couple of years, but I haven't even seen a saw from that era for a while. I also have two P61, P62 Pioneer, and Poulan saws from the eighties?  I have used them on and off for firewood, but not for a long time.

Yeah, ha, the guys that went over to the Stihls were using 372's, 3120's, and 385's.  Why the moisture problems, I don't know.  Maybe all in the head.  Or just time for new gear.

I don't come across Dolmars, Jonsereds, or anything other than Echo and Solo.  Except the obvious two.  So I have no knowledge of those.  But my options right now are the new 372, or a used 395.  Both great.   

Al_Smith

In regards to the 038 which I assume the reference was to .This in my opinion is the most bullet proof saw Stihl ever made. A tad old yes but it still has a following .

You can rebuild them if they get tired . ;)

SawTroll

OK, the 385 is a totally different saw than the 380.   :D :D :D
Information collector.

jjmk98k

As always, chainsaws bridge the language (or bad typing) barriers

8)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 26, 2010, 11:55:00 PM
In regards to the 038 which I assume the reference was to .This in my opinion is the most bullet proof saw Stihl ever made. A tad old yes but it still has a following .

You can rebuild them if they get tired . ;)
Nah there was some confusion of the early 1970s Husqvarna 380 to the newer 385.
But I too agree with you Al. The Stihl 038 was the last of the "solid Stihls" before the "new generation lightweights....024,034,064,084".
I had the pleasure of meeting one of the 038's founders - Stihl engineer Yurgon Wolfe in 1986. He talked highly of the machining involved in the construction of the 038 versus the 034 or 064. For example the cheap rubber hose from the oilpump to the barpad and thin wire pump drive on the 034. The 038 oilpump system was aircraft quality.
I bought my 1st 038 in 1980 and few years later 038Super and then the 038 magnum.
Hell of a good saw. But my favorite production saw was the early 064AV which I bought in 1986, 14.1 lb - 85cc.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JHBC

Hi, thanks guys, for some good saws to look at.

I haven't bought the 372 yet, but I am thinking about it for the good price, new.  My other recommendation outside of this site was a 660, which the guy swears is the strongest saw he's used.  Out of my price range for now.  I have looked into some of the saws mentioned.  Locally, I have found an 038super 24", Ex. cond. for $400, an 064 24", good cond. for $375, and I was also considering a 395xp 32", Ex. cond for $700.  What are your opinions on 394's.  The only one I found around here was going for $750, and the 395 was only a year old.

Also HolmenTree, I assume the 576 I've read about is the top end, auto tune model.  Do you find them that much better than, for example a 372.  And also have you had any concerns with the less simple carb, air intake?  A friend of mine, who does the maintenance for a big tree service outfit here, has told me he dreads any 441's or 576's coming along.  Right now they're only using 066's, 260's, and 200T models, but are thinking of adding some midsize saws.

Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming.

Rocky_J

First off you have to figure out if you want a 70cc saw or a 95cc saw. Two very different classes with a very noticeable difference in both weight and power. Unless you are cutting trees over 32" diameter all day long then the 70cc class will probably suit you much better. That extra power isn't noticed until you get into the real big wood but the weight is there every time you pick it up. I cut trees for a living for a lot of years before I ever bought a 95cc saw, and at that point I owned about 8 smaller saws which suited me very well for everything but the biggest stumps. My 395xp is my least used saw and I suspect the MS880 I'm getting next month will be used even less (but I want it, so I'm buying it). The 372 is a real work horse and if you can still find one then I'd say to snatch it up. I own four including one still virtually unused waiting to be put into service when it is needed.

HolmenTree

JHBC
The 064 you found for $375 would be your better choice for now. If its one of the early models it is the weight of a 046/460 [14.1lbs] and with 85cc. Best power weight ratio saw I ever owned and very reliable. My 18 yr old Stihl 066 is my most reliable saw but I'm not 30 something yrs old anymore and don't want to handle it all day again.
The Husqvarna 576XP AutoTune is the only computer  controlled saw out there at the moment. Comparing it to my 372XP is a no contest , my 372 has been sitting in the shed for months now. The 576 has alot more torque then the 372 along with a very strong top rpm powerband. From idle up it has balls. I have never used a 75cc saw before that runs this nice and this smooth. It is always in perfect tune thanks to the computer.
Think of todays cars and trucks that are all controlled by a computer and how nice and reliable they run. We would never think of going back to the old non computer engines again...right?
The time has come for these new strato/X-Torque computer saws. But don't take only my word for it, go and try one out.
treefarmer 87 has a new 576AutoTune and he likes it over his 2171 / 372.
Willard.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JHBC

Thanks for all the input,

I bought the 064. $300.  I don't know what that would mean to you guys in the states (dollar wise). But it runs great for a saw that costs less than a third of the cost of my other Stihls.  I guess I'll see how many years left it has in it.  I'll being bringing it along for some clearing and firewood use over the next couple of weeks, thanks again for the views.

Red 93 L1 #3383

I have 2 064AV & had them both out today.  I still love both saws.  85cc & a 20" bar equals lots of fun.  The newer one has a 25" bar and is alot of fun too.  I need to put my 36" bar on and cut up my 32" - 40"  cottonwood trunk thats waiting to be processed.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

JHBC

The 64 has worked great.  Swapping back and forth with the 441 on firewood cutting, it was on par with the new saw.  It had some low power/ stalls at first, but worked it self out quick.  Not the right tool for the big arbutus logs, that's what the 3120 is for.  But an excellent saw for the price.  I still can't help but want one in the 90-95 range, lighter than the 3120, but more power than the rest.  That will wait for now.  The 064 seems to be a good find, that I plan on keeping. 

Al_Smith

In the 90-95 class two come to mind . An older Stihl 066 prior to it becoming the MS 660 and the Husqvarna 2100 . The 2100 is just a tad more being 99 cc . It has a slight edge regarding power over the Stihl both being in stock condition .

Both however have abundant power and both are very nice saws .

JHBC

If you could answer for me what changes happened to the 066 and also the 394 ( aside from the couple of points of cc's, and carb size) before they became 660 magnums, and 395's.  Of the four mentioned I've used a 066 a lot. I've run a 395 a few times, and thats it.  Never used, or handled the older big Huskys. 
Aside from 385's the 066's, 660's, 394, 395 are about the most common saws around here, but I'm not in full time need of one, most of my cutting is with a 28", but I would like some info on what improved or got worse with the 7ish Hp saws, since there are so many used ones available.  For example.  I have no problem taking an older 394 in to Walkers to be done up, if I get one for the right price, but is it a better saw than a much newer 395 ?  And some guys are running their new 660's and saying they're the top saws they've ever used. ??

JHBC

Replying to my own question.  Not much difference from what I was told.  Side adjuster on the 394, and different intake, doesn't really justify equal cost for older (more use) equipment.   Similar for the 066/660 right, emissions changes is about it.  It's strange how people love certain saws like the 394, great saw obviously.  But I guess I'd look for basically the same thing, for the same price, with way less hours on it.

Ken H

Quote from: JHBC on May 26, 2010, 09:24:08 PM
Hi again,
Thanks guys for the thumbs up on grabbing up a 372. I probably will.  I also can't help wanting to track down a 576 and try it out.

Holy s**t, my apologizes for some early confusion, mostly to saw troll. My 38(five) is old, but just over ten years.  I typed in 380 about fives times too. Sorry for the mix up.  I've got to get my eyes checked, or spend more time reading what I've written.

I did have an old 041av that I used for a couple of years, but I haven't even seen a saw from that era for a while. I also have two P61, P62 Pioneer, and Poulan saws from the eighties?  I have used them on and off for firewood, but not for a long time.

Yeah, ha, the guys that went over to the Stihls were using 372's, 3120's, and 385's.  Why the moisture problems, I don't know.  Maybe all in the head.  Or just time for new gear.

I don't come across Dolmars, Jonsereds, or anything other than Echo and Solo.  Except the obvious two.  So I have no knowledge of those.  But my options right now are the new 372, or a used 395.  Both great.   

Al_Smith

Well personal preferences aside it comes down to basic facts .Just about any saw of a praticular size group will cut about the same as any other .The main difference is what features interest some  people .On that however some like and some do not .

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 06, 2011, 09:43:13 PM
Well personal preferences aside it comes down to basic facts .Just about any saw of a praticular size group will cut about the same as any other .The main difference is what features interest some  people .On that however some like and some do not .

I agree. Biggest differences are weight, anti-vib (and other comfort/ergonomic issues), how long it will last (assuming you take care of it properly), and how hard it is to repair when it does break.

If I were cutting competitively, the differences within a class of saws might seem more noticeable to me.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Well lets say 0-80 class .Stockers will make the three in around 8-9  seconds give or take .I've got old 10 series Macs that do in 10 .So in a days cutting in the woods you really wouldn't see much difference except in the anti vib systems .They all weight just about the same so that doesn't enter into the picture .

Big ones,100 plus cc's .The Stihls and Huskies dominate the races but in a day in the woods again on 36" and larger you don't see much difference than say a large Mac or Homey .Again they all weight just about the same --all heavy --- :D

shelbycharger400

just have to chime in,  out of the fleet of 7+ saws,     a 1970's stihl 034?,  an early 80's black craftsman (pouland) 20 in bar,  '95 craftsman with 24 in bar 65 cc?, the 79 craftsman 917, the 1980 deere 50v.  some newer pole wood green poulands, and one 2005? husky 455 .

the husky 455, was a pta right out of the box,  i wish stepdad would have returned it. Came with a 20 in bar,  should have had a 16, it dosnt have the power needed.  it was bought for a BIG! job. 44 in maple. didn't workout as planned.
major vapor lock,  hard start, easy floods out ect.   i spent more time cutting with the 2 craftsman saws,  the 1995 one, ran better with the 20 in vrs the 24, partially due to it jack'd up the bar from an issue with the oiler ( now fixed), but had enough compression to rip the cord right back out of your hands first pull!, dose it every time.  2nd best is the 80's craftsman, and 3rd is my craftsman 917.        from my perspective, cuttin anything 12in and bigger, its nice to have the power of the 60 cc +.
I wish they would bring back the manual oilers on all the new saws.

Al_Smith

I don't think the EPA will let them put the manual oilers back on the saws .Be nice if they did though .

Thank You Sponsors!