iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

346XP muffler from baileys... and dealer both have a third hole???

Started by jjmk98k, May 24, 2010, 07:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Hello all, has anyone ordered a 346XP non CAT muffler from Baileys that had a "third" mount bracket welded to the top aft part of the muffler?

I ordered one from my local dealer to compare to the one received from Baileys and its the same way. I noticed that when tightened to the cylinder it makes contact to the cooling fins and believe it prevents a full perimeter seal.

I have been contact with balieys and the guy I have been working with is as perplexed as i am.... but he has been very helpful, so no shame on Baileys at all....

my "cat" Muffler has no such "third" eye...

any inputs?

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Rocky_J

Probably for another application. Many times parts will be shared over several models with slight tweaking. If you can bend or cut the extra bracket off, will the muffler fit and bolt up properly? The 346 uses a secondary reinforcement bracket on the lower front of the muffler and without that, I think it would put too much stress on the two bolts attaching it to the jug.

So either confirm it will work and then knock off the extra bracket or else return it for the correct muffler.

jjmk98k

I could cut the tab off and it would bolt up just fine, but my thinking is for $52.00 I should not have to do such a thing from a OEM part. Not to mention, both mufflers, one from baileys and other from local dealer are spray painted whereas the original muffler seemed to be hot blued of some sort... I wonder if Husqvarna want the way of "made in China" for muffler sourcing?

This is NO WAY has anything to do with the secondary attach bracket that mounts to the front of the muffler sharing bolts with the dawg and crankcase.... I just wanted to be clear that this is totally different.

I wonder if the 50cc head used three bolt attachments in addition to the front bracket?

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Rocky_J

jjmk98k

Jim

Ed

My non-cat 346 muffler was exactly the same as the cat one....on the outside.

Ed

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 24, 2010, 07:45:37 PM
Probably for another application. .....

I believe that is true.  ;)

If memory serves, it is for use on late version 350s - but I can't recall the details.......

Edit;

Look here!
Information collector.

saw_nut

Just had to put a piston in a friends 353. Has a third hole in head for muffler stud, same place as Baileys muffler.

SawTroll

Yes, the cylinder used on the 353 and the newer 350s will have such a hole. It surves a purpose on the 350/2150, but not on the 353. The 353/2152 have a seperate support bracket for the muffler, as have the 346xp/2153.

The bracket on top of the muffler only serve a purpose on the 350/2150.
Information collector.

jjmk98k

well, I took the one back to my local dealer and they are going to send it back to Husqvarna. The other one I'll send back to Baileys for the time being. I really was hoping to toss the cat muffler....

Sawtroll, thanks for the information... pretty much useless on my 346

Jim

Rocky_J

If you can't get a 346 muffler and are not willing to risk exposure gutting out the cat muffler, then it may be worth it to use the 350 muffler and grind off the extra tab.

Sorry, but the EPA mandating catalytic converter mufflers on chainsaws is insanity of the highest order. We have a volcano in Iceland spewing out more carbon monoxide in one day than all the chainsaws in the entire world can spew out in 50 years. We have an oil leak in the Gulf spewing out 10,000 barrels of oil a day and in one month has polluted the environment more than 100 years of all chainsaw use combined, but the EPA is all about sniffing the exhaust outputs on a 50cc chainsaw.  ::)

John Mc

What is it exactly in the Cat mufflers that is so bad for you, and what kinds of precautions do you need to take if you gut one?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jjmk98k

but is the 350 muffler OK to use on the 346?  sure it bolts up just fine but are the other subtle differences that would need to be addressed?
Jim

Rocky_J

Mufflers are not like tuned pipes. They are just metal cans with an inlet on one end and an outlet on the other end. More restriction equals less flow, which usually means less power. No restriction at all equals too much noise and you can lose a little power because you need some back pressure to pack the incoming fuel charge in the cylinder.

As far as any performance differences between the 350 muffler and 346 muffler, I couldn't imagine why there would be any difference as long as the exhaust port on the jug matches up with the opening in the muffler. Sometimes a little touch up with a file is needed to smooth any misalignment due to manufacturing slop.

SawTroll

Quote from: jjmk98k on May 25, 2010, 09:52:20 PM
but is the 350 muffler OK to use on the 346?  sure it bolts up just fine but are the other subtle differences that would need to be addressed?

Sure it is - as Rocky said, just grind off that tab on the top of it.   ;)
Information collector.

jjmk98k

Sawtroll,

so its better to cut that tab off and run the 350 muffler than that e-tech one? ;)
Jim

SawTroll

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!