iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Siding

Started by bugdust, May 24, 2010, 09:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugdust

I recently got calls from two individuals requesting 1/2" X 7" siding. It's a piece of cake using the AccuSet, so sawing not the issue. I consider this custom sawing and priced the job at .50/bdft. I know that might sound a little high, espcially for hemlock, but it's my logs and time consuming. Am I on or off track?
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

scsmith42

I don't think that you're off track at all. 

The biggest disadvantage that most sawyers have is that they price their work too low, and then go out of business after a few years because they did not make enough profit.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ladylake

Is that .50 a bf or square ft, if thats .50 a bf that would be .25 a square ft, with your logs i'd price higher.    Stevge
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

on boards under 1'' i charge like 12''x12'' is a bd ft . most folks will be real pleased with what you charge if they get the product they want. i get 30cents for sawing and 30cents for the log. not that i wouldnt do some for 50 cents if theres nothing waiting on me. got some to saw this morning neighbor brought 1460 ft of post oak logs. i bought them for 25 cents and will double my money to make ties and pallet lumber. too hot here to be sawing in the middle of the day. 90 degrees
well lookie there im sawing for 50cents too      pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Quote from: paul case on May 24, 2010, 04:56:32 PM
On boards under 1'' i charge like 12''x12'' is a bd ft . pc

I agree with Paul here.  My minimum cut charge is also one inch. 
So, ½X12X12 will still be charged as one board foot.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ErikC

1" minimum charge for me as well
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

bugdust

Seems most are in agreement that they are more interested in sawing and pricing 1" or greater. I agree this type of sawing can be more trouble than it's worth, but since it brought repeat customers it will pay in the long run. Besides if you haven't sawed 1/2" with the AccuSet it's kinda enjoyable because you can really buzz through a cant.

My calculation is 1/2" X 7" X 12' (144") = 504 sq. in.
Divide 504 sq. in. by 1 bdft (144") = 3.5 bdft
3.5 bdft X .50 = $1.75/siding board

Out of a 12" cant I should get about 9 pieces of siding. A perfect world of 33-12" cants should do the job. Now consider the "extra" 1" sawed to acquire the cant, I now have lumber to be sold at $(?)
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

red oaks lumber

if you are selling the lumber you have to base your price on sq. of coverage. a log that scales out 100b.f will still have 100 b.f weather you cut 1/2"or 3" thick material.
i sell alot of 1/2" thick siding for .92/ sq.ft. if you look at that same 100b.f. log we just sawed twice the coverage . if you have a customer that wants you to saw his logs 1/2" thick then i would charge based on 1" thick.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!