iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Little Friendly Competition

Started by Norm, May 22, 2010, 04:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

My oldest son asked what I was cooking this weekend. When I said babybacks he said me too, want to swap a slab with each other to see who's are the best? Heck yes, and so we are having a friendly competition.

Wind is blowing about 30mph so this should be interesting.

Of course I didn't mention I was making my secret bbq sauce. ;D

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

I BBQed ribs today too  8).  MMMMmmmm.  They were tenderer than a Mother-in-Law's heart  :D.

I suspect that the secret sauce won the day for you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

If I was a little closer, I'd have to come down and judge dangle_smiley digin_2 smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsdown
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

Kind of... :D

We both fought bbq's in 35mph winds so mine were a bit overdone and his were a bit underdone. Both were good and I ate way too much.

fishpharmer

The ribs look just right from here. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Gary_C

Quote from: Norm on May 23, 2010, 07:58:53 AM

We both fought bbq's in 35mph winds so mine were a bit overdone and his were a bit underdone.

So that's what I was smelling yesterday in those winds. Did you save me any?  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

I sure did!

Was your class reunion in Iowa?

Gary_C

Yes, it was in Ames but I drove home late Friday night after the meet and greet. If I'd waited till daylight I could have been blown home in that wind.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Weekend_Sawyer

Norm!
Not nearly enough info!

What are the ingredents for your rub, how long did you cook them and at what temp.
How do you make your bbq sauce.

I'm sort of a rib nut so I am always looking for a better way to make ribs.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Sorry Jon I missed your post.

The rub I use is called tsunami spin from dizzy pig. I first coat the ribs in cheap mustard and then a light coating of rub.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLrubs/tsunami.html

I use the big green egg for ribs and cook on a raised grid over a pan of water. The temp I shoot for is 250° and it usually takes about 3-4 hours of cook time. I put the sauce on the last hour of cooking so it doesn't burn too much. I do not like ribs cooked to death but some prefer the fall off the bone flavor, if you do I'd lengthen the cook time by an hour.

The sauce is equal amounts of ketchup and tomato sauce with onions and garlic that have been sauteed first and then added into the sauce. For sweetness I use brown sugar and honey to taste which for me is pretty sweet. For spices I use cayenne, black pepper, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and some bacon grease. I simmer this for an hour or so at very low temp.

I'm a rib nut myself and have found that our local Sam's club has the best ones for the money. I sort through their stock and grab the heaviest package they have.

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice. Mom used to make a similar bbq sauce but she didn't use honey, I'm gonna have to try that.

Jon

ScottAR

I will try that sauce... 

Sam's club ribs are the best... 
They have more meat on em than any of the other local stores.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

LOGDOG

Those ribs are a thing of beauty. Wow! :o

Samuel

Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Weekend_Sawyer

I just noticed you said your bbq sauce is a secret. Thanks for sharing with me and I aint tellin no one   ;)

It's 96 degrees today so I'm just not messing with a grill. I have 4 racks in the oven and bbq sauce is bubblin on the stove. Next to that is a Venisin stew, just incase.

Jon

Larry

Our Sam's also has great ribs but they package them in bigger quantities than the two of us can eat.  One rack provides us with super and few left over's for dinner the next day, which is just right.  Does it hurt to freeze part of the fresh ribs for a later cookout?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Raider Bill

I buy when on sale then freeze them all the time.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

WDH

Y'all freeze me up one and we can thaw it out when I come to visit  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on June 14, 2010, 07:56:51 PM
Y'all freeze me up one and we can thaw it out when I come to visit  ;D.

Got you covered!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!