iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

catalpa

Started by woodmills1, May 22, 2010, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I picked up some catalpa today, large and straight enough to mill, any uses for it?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

Mostly turning blanks, if you know any bowl makers.  It's beautiful.  It is also great for small , ornamental projects like jewelry boxes; and cabinets if you have enough.

WDH

Wood carvers love catalpa.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slingshot

Cut it up in pieces and put them on e-bay.....

Shetland Sheepdog

Jim, Where did you find that, or is there another name for it? I've never heard of it around here!

Well, I checked it out on Google,  :P and I have seen them in the past! Just never heard them named before! Even when one is older n' dirt, one can still learn something new!  :D

Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

woodmills1

it can also be called Catawba.  I was a yard tree in derry NH.  large elephant ear leaves and long black twisted beans.  I have a very large one in my side yard.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Locals here call it "Toby" I am from Catalpa country west of here.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ron Wenrich

I saw some used as paneling inside of a house. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don_Papenburg

I like it for trim but look for crooked trunks as straight trunks are boring  .  Might help to cut the straight tru nks on an angle .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

LeeB

Catalpa worms make great fish bait. Good dead or alive.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SamB

Most of the people I grew up around referred to Catalpa as Cigartree....I may have even witnessed people trying to smoke those beans ;D

ely

pretty as oak to me and lots lighter. i like chests and dressers made out of it, especially if i am gonna have to move it.

Thank You Sponsors!