iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

falling video

Started by murphy4trees, May 19, 2010, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphy4trees

First post here..
I do suburban tree work, never get paid much for the wood.. always had the feeling that I was getting run over a bit by the guys that haul logs. Not sure though..

We pretty much are just trying to get a job done, cleaned up, truck empty and get to the next one as fast as possible.. And not pay too much to have the wood hauled!!!

anyhow, I'd like to show off some videos of tree falling and rigging..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNV5gnZpMSo

that is the latest.. waiting for my editor to comeback from college to put some music on it... you can check others out on my youtube channel murphy4trees..

Tom

Felling trees is an art. The fellows in the woods use many of the same procedures and it always amazes me that they have the confidence to  begin that first cut.

Most videos seem to have music attached.  In my opinion, it is refreshing to see a video with natural sound. 

In a movie theater, where people are there to be entertained by the felling of tree, perhaps music is part of the entertainment, but I find myself being more interested in the sounds of the saw, the tree, the feller and the customer than I would have been listening to the William Tell Overture as the tree fell in silence.  On a site where many are fallers, perhaps you are better off getting your story across by not having the music.  :)

Custom sawyers and short-wood pulp wooders work hand in hand with urban fallers here. Usually the wood is carried away for free because these guys make their money on the other end.  It's a symbiotic relationship where each scratches the others back.  Where I've seen it fall apart is when an arborist, or their customer, decide that they want to handle the marketing of the wood.  Usually, it ends up  being cut up for firewood, stacked on the side of the road with the hopes that someone will carry it off.  Sawyers will often accept a free log, now and again, even if it must be delivered to them.  But, it saves the arborist the dump fees too.  Having a sawyer or pulp-wooder in your list of friends is like having dollars in your wallet, if you don't get greedy and try to take all of the dimes off of the table for yourself.  Those are lessons hard learned.  It takes a society to perform all of the work, sometimes, not just employees.  :)

beenthere

Again, I find agreement with what Tom says.  ;D
Leave the music off the video...unless it was playing in the background when the sawing action was taking place.  :)

I find so often that I have to turn the sound off because of someone's selection of music and then miss the occasional time when they turn off the background music to say something important. 
Ths sounds of the chainsaw, the clunk of the wood on the ground, the exchange with the ground crew, etc. was much better for the meaning of the video. Even the credits can do without any music. Some voice-over might be done while the intro and credits are playing.

Good video. Thanks for sharing.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Daniel, what's your reason for cutting the back cut so low?
I see where you bored the tree but not sure why you would go so low for the felling cut, you may be tempting a barberchair if that wood runs up behind the bore and continues up the tree.

murphy4trees

Good point on the barber chair... I had that start to happen once on a heavy front leaning norway maple when I tried a similar falling cut... This tulip had a lot of lean, but not enough to barber chair, I hoped!!!!

Someone asked the same question on youtube. I hit metal on the bore cut.. wanted to cut low enough to ensure cut would clear the metal, but not so low to have the step catch on trunk, and cause the tip to come down early.. I have another version with slow motion, which is pretty cool to watch the top as it flies forward past the stub... The step just catches a bit of bark on the front of the standing trunk and rips it off. Hopefully get that up soon..

I never really understood what causes the forward motion of a jump cut until I reviewed this tape in slow motion...

OneWithWood

Thanks for asking that question, Kevin.  I was wondering the same thing.

Murphy's answer was very helpful and makes sense now that we know there was metal in the tree.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

Murphy, first Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  I agree with others, no music.  You provided all of the "entertainment" necessary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kevin

You might consider putting a 10k lb. cinch strap or two above the face.

Samuel

Welcome and great video.  I got a kick out of the women in the background talking...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

murphy4trees

tonto

Welcome to the forum Murphy. Great video work, like the slow motion. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

OneWithWood

:) :) :D

Very entertaining and I liked the vintage Mellencamp!
One With Wood

fishpharmer

Don't add music.  The video was better with the cutting/falling  sounds. 

Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to more videos.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

I just watched that after i went over to Youtube from your other post.  I am glad you can hear the sawing and falling over the music.   Cool videos.

I recently talked to my treefeller buddy here in town and he said it was very slow.  Looks busy in PA.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Topics merged. One is sufficient.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Cool video!

Must agree with the others, PLEASE don't kill the sound, if you fell you really MUST put music on, make it really low (or better still, don't bother).

I was really interested in the lady (house owner?) who said "Look at all the light on the house" in the first vid.

Some really great videos and fantastic information, especially on why you did the back cut so low, must admit I was wondering too (and I don't know anywhere NEAR as much as the other guys!!!).

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

murphy4trees

There are around 15 videos total uplaoided at youtube.. you can check them out by clicking on the link above the video screen.. Hope you all enjoy it.. I tried to leave the camera sound high enough to hear, but didn't fool with the levels too much..

OneWithWood

Daniel,
Very good and informative videos.  Thank-you for posting the link here. 
One With Wood

Jeff

murphy4trees, I enjoyed that. I saw some scary stuff, but I still enjoyed watching.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Great video, and enjoyed it as well.
Shows the power of the trees as well as the skill to take them down.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Nomad

Murph, it looks to me like you know what you're doing.  If I tried any of those I'd squish a house and put myself in a doctor's care :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

OneWithWood

Excellent rope work...and I enjoyed the tunes  8)
One With Wood

WDH

Very well done, on all counts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!