iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrel feeder

Started by D Hagens, May 19, 2010, 01:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Well we have this little guy drop in during the day for a few nuts. Darla's been putting nuts out for him/her but when it rains he/her seems to stay in its tree. :o
I'm thinking of building a feeder that sits just under the roof and I want the other animals (raccoons) to stay out of it if that's possible.
Any ideas or should I just make a hat out of it and save myself the trouble? :D :D :D :D

chain

Careful, feeding wild animals could become addictive! Case in point...my sis-in-law lives next to a National Forest, she began feeding squirrels, then raccoons, then deer, then turkeys, and now there's a black bear in the vicinity. She also has a very large feed-store bill each month! :o

Gary_C

Quote from: D Hagens on May 19, 2010, 01:17:29 AM

Any ideas or should I just make a hat out of it and save myself the trouble?

Yes and a few more and you can have squirrel stew. They are destructive pests.

Most people will go to great lengths to keep those devils out of their bird feeders.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

I built a squirrel feeder to keep the little runts out of my bird feeders.

It works OK until the squirrel feeder is empty then it's back to the bird feeders.

The raccoons empty the squirrel feeder every night, so they now attack the bird feeders when the squirrel / raccoon feeder is empty.

I had a black squirrel here his name was Blacky but I think either the foxes or the great horned owls or the red tailed hawks got him. I have some of each that live here and I have not seen Blacky in weeks. The fox pups would bark at Jill when she was in her fern garden.

Now the turkeys come and eat the spilled seed that the raccoons leave behind.

We have had many black bear sightings in the area so I imagine one of these mornings I'm going to find everything torn apart.

I guess what I am trying to say is MAKE A HAT!!!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

chain

Yeah, that's the down-side of feeding wild animals, sooner or later you will attract the unwanted, dangerous, critters. The Wildlife folks have already gone door to door asking to, 'please stop feeding the wild animals!' I've also suggested to her as any loving, caring, brother-in-law should do, to let the critters find their own food. Angrily, she shot back at me..."I don't feed the bears my neighbors do!" and continued, "these are all my pets, they depend on me!"

I shut my mouth. :-\

D Hagens

Well I walk out this morning for my morning coffee and Darla's feeding him, yes it's a him. Darla told me it's a him as she says the squirrel has nuts; funny I thought all squirrels had nuts? :o :D
So I noticed now there's not just one there's two of em! Yeah I can see where this will be going........by the end of next week she'll have about a dozen of them!
If this keeps up there won't just be Forestry Forum hats for sale here there will be "D" hats up for grabs too! With of course partial proceeds going back to Jeff. :)
So I'm thinking that if it gets out of hand I'm going to have to start building a bigger one of these. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!