iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Owl bit question.....

Started by Jim_Rogers, May 17, 2010, 10:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A fellow timber framer from Ohio has emailed me and asked me a question about Wood Owl bits.
I don't have a lot of experience with these bits, so I thought I'd ask it here on the forum and see if any of you can give me some advice to pass on to him?

QuoteJim,

Just bought a Bosch drill for peg holes. Am thinking about buying some Wood Owl bits. 

I have read that the Wood Owl bits drill nice clean holes, but was wondering if they really eliminate the need for a "blowout block" on the exit path. (I'm looking to save a step in the process by not having to rotate timbers and drill from opposite side).

As you are always in contact with many timber framers, was wondering what you may have heard regarding a clean exit hole from the wood owl bits. Thanks
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

From a friend in Maine...:

QuoteJim,

Just saw your post on the Forestry Forum regarding the question about
Wood Owl bits.

I have drilled hundreds of peg holes with triple-fluted Wood Owl bits.
They do cut very nicely, but we never, EVER, drilled all the way
through.  We always finished the hole from the other side.  Once the
feed screw emerges from the opposite side of the timber, the
"self-feeding" action of the bit stops and you have to push hard to
finish the job (unless you're using a blowout block as the original
post suggests).  That final push will guarantee that you blowout every
time.  The spurs which score the circumference of the hole are much
shallower than on double-fluted bits, which exacerbates the problem.
It also means you have to be more careful when (re)sharpening.  We had
some double-fluted Wood Owl bits which I actually preferred.  They had
bigger spurs, but we still finished the holes from the other side.

Chris

PaAnkerbalken

I haven't used the wood owls but had good luck with the Irwin speed bore bits for peg holes. Very fast thru white pine. I think the are along the same lines being tri fluted and all and screw lead.  So far no blow out on the other side 8). They dont cost alot either. I can't remember but something like $40 for 4 bits. I think you can buy 4 bits in a box. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1".  I got mine at one of the big box stores but I think it was Lowes. ::)
logosol M7

Rooster

I have not tried Wood Owl bits. I have used and Irwin 6in x 1in triple fluted speed bore. Once it starts it cut fairly well, but I have bent a couple when I finish the hole from the other side and the cutters grab the inner wall if you are not perfectly inline with the hole.  The 1/4 in shank can bend with a heavy duty drill, and the drill has tried to walk out of my hands.  I have also tried a HolzMaster double fluted bit at a log builders conference.  It was a 1 in. x 18in double fluted chucked in a 14v cordless drill.  It walked right into a dry White Pine cube, almost effortless, with small uniform chips.

http://www.timbertools.com/Products/HolzMaster_doublecut.html

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

maineframer

Jim,
We have Wood Owl bits in our shop. I think we purchased them 4 or five years ago---
They were supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread.
Well not so much.
We also never drill through from one side only. I flip the timber 90 degrees and finish the bore. I prefer the double spur bits that I get from you. ;D
They bore clean and pull through even the toughest knots.
They are also a snap to sharpen.
My Wood Owls do not see much action these days--I keep them in plastic sleeves in my tool chest.
David

bigshow

Well,

I really liked my spur bit wood owl bit.  You really have to want it to go all the way through - if you do, BLOW. OUT.  Flip over and finish (I found putting the drill in reverse worked well to finish from the other side.)  I tried clamping blocks and going all the through with mixed results.
I never try anything, I just do it.

D Hagens

Hey guys, what I call an auger bit is what Timber framers call a Wood Owl bit. Is there a reason behind this?  :P

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: D Hagens on May 17, 2010, 09:49:01 PM

Hey guys, what I call an auger bit is what Timber framers call a Wood Owl bit. Is there a reason behind this?  :P

Wood Owl is a specific brand name of auger bits. They make a triple cutter bit (http://www.woodowl.com/PROD_standard.htm) that some timber framers use to bore peg holes...

Herb

maineframer

HERB,

You are correct. The Wood Owl is a triple spur bit. Wood Owl is the brand.
They do O.K. when sharp---they get dull on one or two frames.
I just much prefer auger bits with double spurs.
I am glad that they work good for you, Big Show.
David

Jim_Rogers

Well I forwarded the thread location link to this thread to my timber framing friend in OH and he said "thanks to all" who posted for all the information....

And I thank you as well....

bigshow

One thing worth mentioning: Not all Wood Owl bits are created equal.

The spurred bit typically isn't at your local Hardware store.  The non spurred bit is awful...just awful.  The non spurred bit is not capable for going thru ash, I can tell you that.

Who would've known that when I used Ash for some splines that was gonna turn out to be an exotic wood!  Thanks alot Asian Ash Borer!
I never try anything, I just do it.

maineframer

Wood Owl is a BRAND of bits.
I believe they are all the same.
AUGER bits are not all the same.
There are high speed and low speed bits.
The low speed would be for boring machines that operate at a low rmp.
The high speed bits are either single spur double spur or no spur.
The latter are generally known as electricians bits and or naileaters.
They are meant for a quick and dirty hole for running romex and not intended for clean timber framing quality holes.
David

Doug_D

I've got a couple wood owl bits.  No complaints...besides the price ;-)

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

shad

I need an 18"  7/8" brace bit with double spur cutter. The Irwin part# is 47714 but they have stopped making this bit.
What other companies make this size, style bit?

Thank You Sponsors!