iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling for lumber

Started by jtbartlett, May 17, 2010, 08:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtbartlett

I am currently building a fair-sized push through mill to mill some lumber for a future home. Beams and planks is what I have in mind. The mill will probably never be used for $ as it's too slow and there are plenty of other guys around running portable woodmizers. Here's the catch: I am mill-rich and lumber poor, having the tools to work but short on material. I really don't want to mill wood for someone to get paid so I can go buy logs to mill for myself.

What, in your opinion would be a good trade as far as milling out lumber  for a percentage of the finished material? I understand it depends whether it's dimensional, beams or boards. I have a few acquaintances who have large woodlots and I am sure would be happy to trade  some logs for having their stuff milled out. If it were you, sawing in your spare time and not for production, what would you consider a fair trade? (or are there too many variables, wood species, dimensions etc.??)

I have not completed the mill yet so I cannot calculate my cost per board foot. I am guessing I'll come in just under a thousand dollars for a complete running  band mill 22' X 36" so it will eventually pay for itself.  I'd really like to avoid the dollar signs and keep things on a percentage trade basis -maybe I'm trying to avoid how much I'm losing!  :D Thanks in advance. 

Chuck White

Some of the people who saw around this area operate on a half & half basis.
There are some who operate on a 1/3 - 2/3 basis where the sawyer will take the 2/3.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jtbartlett

Thanks. I'm pretty green here so I was trying to  get a handle on wood value. I don't want to come across as greedy. I know it does come town to dollars and cents in the end.

bandmiller2

Really its hard for anyone to gripe about 50/50 split if he helps,should work for boath of you. frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I think that the general consensus would be to divide the logs before sawing, not the sawed lumber.

50-50 is fair.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I agree 50/50 is fair, as long as the customer helps.

If he doesn't help, that's where I figure the 1/3-2/3 deal comes into play.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

Then too, it depends on whether you are sawing a pallet grade oak board or an FAS oak board.  Big difference in value between boards.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

r.man

JT, when this topic was discussed recently I believe the consensus was ;
1) Choose a percentage that you can both live with.
2) Always divide logs, not lumber. This way each person chooses what is cut out of their share.
3) One person divides the logs and the other person picks the piles they want to make up their share.( Just like kids and candy.)
4) Always agree on any extra charges that will be incurred while cutting the customers share before hand. Example: An extra cash charge if a band is damaged or ruined, pro-rated with the bands value at the time and how badly it was damaged.
I thought when I read these earlier that it sounded like a fair way to work for shares. Hope I have recounted it accurately and completely.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

jtbartlett

Thanks everyone. I am just starting out here and getting a feeling this is going to be a great project. I just got my first offers for sawing yesterday and the mill isn't even complete yet!  :D Beats watching TV.

chinahand

I jumped on to the FF today with the express purpose of asking the exact opposite of your question.  I have the trees and I'm interested in getting some beams and boards cut, but wish to avoid the expense of paying transportation and milling fees if someone were willing to trade.  Located in NE Maine.  The summary from a previous conversation was quite helpful. (Thanks r.man). 

Related to this, I guess, is a question about whether anyone knows of a grapevine of guys with small mills in NE Maine.  (I'm about 90 minutes NE of Bangor.)

Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!