iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corporate tables

Started by gator gar, May 16, 2010, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

After buying my sawmill, I really start noticing things that are made of wood. My wife has the celebrity apprentice on and when I sat down, I happened to catch a glimpse of Donald Trumps boardroom table. Man, what a piece of work that think is. Especially when you have DVR and can stop it and look at it on the screen. Whoever built that table, did an amzing job and I hope they were compensated for it.

tyb525

Gator, I'm right there with ya, I especially have a keen eye for what is real wood and what is just veneer/particleboard ;). I annoy my girlfriend in stores by pointing out furniture that is not real wood, which is almost all of it :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

fishpharmer

I would wonder if the corporate table market shrank a bit with the economy?

Does anyone know who made the Trump Boardroom table?

This fella made a nice big table shown in he top left photo.

http://www.tomchurchstudio.com/pastwork.htm

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Well I know who made Andy Rooney's office desk. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

VT-Woodchuck

Ianab

You might like this table  ;)

No veneer or particle board there, not even a glue-up. It's one piece of wood. 6" thick, 15ft long and tapers from 4'6" to 5'6" Weight is a bit over 1,000kgs :o

With a 1 ton table top you don't do dainty for the legs.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

The Forum has a corporate table, but no corporation, just a pig roast.   :D

TABLE THREAD LINK
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on May 17, 2010, 02:29:09 PM
The Forum has a corporate table, but no corporation, just a pig roast.   :D

Yeah, and lots of cooperation. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jim_Rogers

I recently made a big table and I've been asked to mill a log for another one......

See the table I just did at:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,44042.0.html

And a furniture maker asked me to go over and look at a log they want cut up to make a table for thanksgiving dinner.

I went over there, to see this log as he told me he wanted 2" thick by 22" wide by 22' long.

Well I told him that the log that could produce 22" wide lumber would need to be nearly 24" on the narrow, top end of the log and that to be that size, at the stump it could be nearly 4' across, too big for my mill.

When I viewed the log it was just like a piece of pipe, hardly any taper at all. I guessed that it was less than 32" at the stump and it was straight and 22' long when I viewed it.

But it was still hooked to the stump and it was a blow down.

He wanted me to find someone who could kiln dry it for him, so that they could use it right away.

I told him that it would cost him $500 for me to mill that log up in my yard and more than that if I had to move my mill to the site and bring my bed extension over to do it there.
He told me that the customer had access to heavy equipment and could move the log from where it was laying to the driveway. I told him that if he could move it to the driveway, with heavy equipment, then put it on the equipment trailer and bring it over here and save me all the hassle of moving everything over there to them.

I told him that each of the two 2" x 22" x 22' pieces of white oak that he wanted for this table top were going to weigh 463 lbs green and that it wasn't going to be easy to move them around at all.

I told my wife this story and she wanted to know if this customer's wife knows what's going on. As this table will be so big and heavy that once they set it in the dinning room they'll never move it again.

I don't know how they'd move a table top 1 3/4" thick by 44 or so inches wide by 22' long into a house. They'll have to assemble the table in there as they'll never be able to move it from the furniture maker shop to the home assembled, for sure.

I gave the furniture maker a phone number of a guy who told me he had a 24' kiln but he's 3 1/2 hours drive "by car" from here and it going to be a problem custom kiln drying just 500 bdft of white oak from this log for this project as he usually doesn't dry white oak, in his 12,000 bdft kiln.
He said he'd be setting up a 2,000 bdft kiln some time in the near future but not right away.

When I last emailed with the furniture maker, I asked him what was the status of the project? He told me that they were trying to figure out the budget for doing this job.

I can only imagine how much this is going to cost to make a table like this.

I'll let you know if it ever comes true.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

There is a guy in TX who uses a very modified alaskan III CSM with an Stihl 090 and 72" bar to make boardroom tables....I think the widest he has done was 54"

This stuff cries out for a swing mill with a slabber...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Left Coast Chris

That table looks like what Jack found when he went up the bean pole.   :) :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Jim, maybe they are going to eat dinner in the barn floor on that 22 foot dining table. ;D

It must be some house if they have a 22' dinning room to begin with. Most these old farm houses did well to have a 16' dining room. :D 22' must be in a castle or something. :D And I wonder if they have a big patio door straight into the room. ;)

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 19, 2010, 03:02:24 AM
Jim, maybe they are going to eat dinner in the barn floor on that 22 foot dining table. ;D

It must be some house if they have a 22' dinning room to begin with. Most these old farm houses did well to have a 16' dining room. :D 22' must be in a castle or something. :D And I wonder if they have a big patio door straight into the room. ;)

I was at the house, but I'm not sure if that "is" the house where it's going, if it is they are going to have problems getting it into that house......

I'll let you know if I ever find out.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

I hope they are on a slab..that's gonna make a mess out of some joists..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!