iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hogs

Started by Tom, May 16, 2010, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The hogs that the idiot turned loose a few years ago are really tearing the neighborhood up.  This is the result of what appears to be one large one that got into our front yard the last two nights.  This is the second time this year for the front yard and they've got the woods torn to a fair-thee-well.  The problem in controlling them is that adjoining properties are owned by absentee landowners who do not want anyone on their property for any reason.   One is from Ohio and owns fifty acres to the west of me and the other is the wetlands mitigation property to the east that is owned by a Real Estate agent from somewhere who made his home and business on the other side of town, about 40 miles away.  Neither visits the properties but have made their feelings known.

Here is a picture from up toward the front of the yard toward the house to show the rooting of about a third of an acre.

I am showing this similar shot just to show off the new crop of Baldwin pears.  :D

Boy!!   Is Gael Ticked.

Some boys came from Middleburg today (about 60 miles away) because they like to hog hunt and saw the opportunity.  They didn't have a good time. The yellow flies ate them alive.  They did kill a 140 pound sow, but said that she was too far back in the scrub to get her out.  They left her carcass to the hordes of yellow flies, mosquitoes, and other vermin and fought their way back to the house through blackberry brambles and briars, "as big as my arm", he said.   

Thomas Swamp is a rough place and not for highlanders used to walking in a mowed pasture.  :D

D Hagens

Why won't your neighbors let you on their property? Seems to me that if you're having a problem with the pigs they would be happy to help you out by letting you shoot them.
Are they just like this or are most people down your way like that?
Out here it would be a call and grab your guns and go at it!

Magicman

Looks like a good opportunity for a red filtered Q-beam and a light sporter..... ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

Well if they never visit the properties then I guess they would never know if somebody shot some hogs there.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

Tom, I know what your going through. Even though we do not have wild hogs here, in the past we had some that a farmer let roam where they pleased. Heck even his horses and cows didn't know where home was. ::) They will tear up potatoes and grain like you describe. I do believe we did get some free range pork one fall as did a cousin or two.  ;D

Tom, you need to find a grass or something that smells and tastes like skunk so them hogs stay away. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Bad thing about Tom's situation is that once you get feral hogs.....you got feral hogs.   >:(

Roaches and mice would be easier to get rid of.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Thought about building a trap?

Need a sturdy pen with a drop gate on a trip wire and something tasty as bait.

You will only catch a couple before they get smart and learn not to go in there, but it's a couple less, and they are usually good eating so it worth the trouble.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Quote from: D Hagens on May 16, 2010, 02:38:54 PM

Why won't your neighbors let you on their property?

Last year I took a logging safety course and one of the instructors was a former DEA agent and he warned us about the hazards of remote and isolated growing sites. If you happen on to one of those isolated sites, best advice is to get out of there quick. Most of them are watched by some heavily armed sentries and they know how to make some very nasty booby traps. And then there are abandon meth labs that are extremely toxic.

So be very careful about going onto remote private property.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

gator gar

I had a friend that trapped a couple of wild pigs and gave them to me. I put the mean rascals in a pen and fed them for about 2 months. I got to feeling sorry for them and turned them loose. I think it is against the law to turn them back into the wild, but I did it anyway. Well, they took offf across the pasture and I thought i would never see them again. The next day, I was taking a nap and my wife said, baby, come look at this. They were both back that next afternoon, snapping their teeth in the back yard, wanting me to feed them.

They hung around and ate and were gone again. day after day they came back about the same time to eat and then would leave. The next time my wife said, baby, come look at this, it was a different scenario. They had rooted up my backyard so bad, it looked like a an airplane crashed back there. My daughter said, they're gonna get the bullet tonight. I let it slide that first night, but they returned the second night and done it again.

I trapped them in the pen that I raised them in and had a buddy shoot both of them. We skinned them out and had some delicious sausage made. I hated to do it, but if I didn't, they would have wrecked my place.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Quote from: Gary_C on May 16, 2010, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: D Hagens on May 16, 2010, 02:38:54 PM

Why won't your neighbors let you on their property?

Last year I took a logging safety course and one of the instructors was a former DEA agent and he warned us about the hazards of remote and isolated growing sites. If you happen on to one of those isolated sites, best advice is to get out of there quick. Most of them are watched by some heavily armed sentries and they know how to make some very nasty booby traps. And then there are abandon meth labs that are extremely toxic.

So be very careful about going onto remote private property.

Also, Who knows, the actual land owner may be watching you too!
With today's technology comes the satellite controlled camera systems.  This idea stops a lot of trespassers.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom

Well, neither of these landowners are from around here.  They are from Up the country.  I'll not say where, to keep from causing any grief, but they did have to pass through Kentucky to get here.

If a man says that he doesn't want me on his property, I don't go on his property.  I always felt that was a simple and righteous rule to follow.  Some people just see the world through different eyes and consider others not worth spit.

We've been trying to trap these hogs for two years now.  There are some young fellows who have built traps and placed them in the woods, but each will get about two and then the hogs won't go in again.

Hunting them sounds like fun, but we are dealing with tons of them. I'm not talking about 20 in a field, I'm talking about ten or twenty miles of hardwood river swamp.  There is muck, water, trees, shrubs, briar, thickets of small, stunted trees, yellow flies, mosquitoes, ticks, alligators, at least one bear, and just about anything else that you can think of that would make it impassible.   The boys didn't even try to bring the 140 lb. sow out that they shot.  I don't know how big the herd(s) is now, but I'll bet that the one directly behind me is in the hundreds. 

Shooting a pig for food now and again helps the table, but you couldn't eat this many and finding them is almost impossible.  You usually see where they were.  These are wild hogs, solid black tuskers, not breeds of domestic pig that got loose.   They are narrow, tall, strong, mean, very lean and have tusks that could rip you open from your ankles to your belly button.  Trapping is the only way and it will have to be a full fledged effort for many years, I'm afraid.

Radar67

There is an easy way to catch them hogs Tom, and here it is:

You catch wild pigs by finding a suitable place in the woods and putting corn on the ground. The pigs find it and begin to come everyday to eat the free corn. When they are used to coming every day, you put a fence down one side of the place where they are used to coming. When they get used to the fence, they begin to eat the corn again and you put up another side of the fence. They get used to that and start to eat again. You continue until you have all four sides of the fence up with a gate in The last side. The pigs, who are used to the free corn, start to come through the gate to eat, you slam the gate on them and catch the whole herd.

There is more to go with this story, but it gets political so I'll not post it here.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

D Hagens

Quote from: Tom on May 18, 2010, 12:10:43 AM

Shooting a pig for food now and again helps the table, but you couldn't eat this many and finding them is almost impossible. 

What if all the members here came down for a good old fashion pig roast. :) Make it a week long thing and I'm thinking it might fix your problems. 8)

Radar67

Jeff will need a hog in 81 days!  ;)

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

WDH

Wild hogs can be nasty and tough.  The fat can have a wild taste.  They are best penned and fed out to clean out all of the nastiness. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

One of the gents at the round table this morning was complaining that he shot a momma hog in his pasture and now the piglets (a little over a foot long) have grown used to the feed in the horse lot, so he has to kick them out of the way to get in the lot.  Of course we all suggest he pen them, feed them, and turn them into people food.  He allowed as how he did not want to mess with hogs, and figures he will just shoot them and let the buzzards have a meal. 

Then his son called, and the conversation was repeated, now the son is soon to be the proud owner of a dozen or so pigs, all he has to do is trap them.  The son is known to be a heavy trencherman.

Great when a plan comes together.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

It/they, came back and tore up some more yard last night.  If I didn't have to sit up all night in the mosquitoes, I'd get my shotgun or rifle and sit on the bed of the work truck.  You never know when they will show up.  Dang quiet though.

Gael is really ticked!!

Neighbors say they are going to come shoot them, but never show up.
The boys that came the other day, spilled some corn and the stupid pigs didn't even eat it.   I don't know what they are after that would be better than a free snack of corn.

Trying to eradicate hogs in the swamp is likened to eradicating mosquitoes with a fly swatter.

Ron Scott

Tom.
Does Florida have an open hunting season on them? It sounds like you have a tough landscape to hunt them in.
~Ron

Tom

Yes, Ron, Hogs are open season.   They do seem to want to live in the roughest areas that Florida has to offer.   Some of the young fellows go bustin' into the swamp with dogs, but as I've gotten older, I look at the palmettos and stumps that I can't jump over anymore.   If it were chasing a rabbit, It wouldn't scare me, but when the shoe is on the other foot, and it might be a Hog chasing me, I've become a bit leary.  :D

JimMartin9999

I understand pigs eat snakes.  Belle Isle between Detroit and Windsor used to be called Snake Island until they released pigs .  The pigs ate the snakes and the name was changed to Hog Island. It got its present name in 1845. Somehow they got rid of all the pigs.
Jim

Tom

A girl down the street brought her little trap and caught two last week.  A couple of days ago, a couple of boys from the county to the north brought a bigger trap.  Last night there was one got into it about midnight.  I'm waiting for the boys to come this evening, reset the trap and take the pig to their hunt camp.  I'm glad they are doing it.  I don't want anything to do with a live wild pig.

This one charged me was quite aggressive as I took the picture.  It has dug the ground up pretty good, bent the wire on the cage, tried to climb out of the top and just generally been a bad dude.

I could fix it with a 30/06, but then it wouldn't be much good to those boys.  Between the hog and the yellow flies, I'm miserable. No Joke!

Gary_C

He sure doesn't look too friendly thru that wire. Don't see any yellow flies on him so he must be too onery for them too.

Guess you could come up and visit Charlie for a while. Doubt he has any yellow flies or wild hogs near by but he might have some wild turkey.  ;D

SwampDonkey

He's probably got a few deer flies, black flies and skeeters the trade by now. ;D

Woodcarver

Wild hogs aren't entirely unheard of in Wisconsin, but I don't know if there are any in the New Richmond area. Perhaps we could round up one or two down in Grant County just to make Tom feel at home. :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Tom

I've got plenty of turkey and deer and dear here too if the yellow flies and hogs would ease up a bit.  When the hogs show up, everything else leaves or lays low.   Don't know as if I have any turkey that had  a breast that half would feed two adults and three young'uns, but  I probably have a dear that could do that. :-\

WDH

Glad they caught a scourge.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Last time my uncle raised turkeys, about 12 years ago, he had a couple that were about 55 lbs each.  He slaughtered them and gave most away. Grew them too big and they had eaten any profit up long before the slaughter. ;D :D

Larry

This guy on Fayetteville wants to buy feral hogs and Tom wants to get rid of his.

i am looking to buy around 20 feral hogs. i will consider more or less. let me know what you have and we can work out a fair price. i will not be able to pick any up until the first week in june as i am fixing some of my fences. thanks for looking.

I think this may lead to a happy resolution of your problem Tom.  You can slip me a tip any time. ;D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

If I went to the trouble of trapping them, penning them and feeding them, he couldn't afford to buy them.

While I want to get rid of them, I'm not anxious to pass the Feral Hog problem on to other people.  There are some boys taking a few for their Hunt club, and I don't even feel good about that.   When I say that these things are obnoxious, dangerous and ecologically destructive, I'm being serious.  I wouldn't wish this problem on anyone.  :)

WH_Conley

I didn't know we even had a hog problem in Kentucky til I was reading the hunting regs. They state if a hog is caught it is to be dead when it comes out of the trap.
Bill

WDH

They breed worse than rabbits.  Believe me, you don't want them in your area.

Gary_C

I don't believe I know what yellow flies are like. We have green heads, occasionally black flies that are just annoying, deer flies that are stoopid and always get stuck on those patches on the back of my cap, and of course the Minnesota state bird, the mosquito.

Are these yellow flies just a southern thing?

WDH

Quote from: Gary_C on May 28, 2010, 12:43:00 PM
Are these yellow flies just a southern thing?

They mainly are in the South.  Here is a little info on the lovely little critters.

The female is one of the most serious biting fly pests wherever it occurs (males do not bite). It attacks man vigorously, and the bites usually are painful, causing large and persistently itching swellings in many persons. Although it attacks throughout the day, it is most active during the late afternoon and on cloudy days. It is especially common near large bodies of water, but tends to remain in or near forests, seldom attacking in numbers far from the shelter of trees. It is one of the few tabanids which attacks indoors. All exposed parts of the victim's body may be attacked, and since the flight is rather quiet, a person is not aware of the flies until the sharp pain of the bite is felt. Domestic animals, including dogs, are attacked readily, although the fly's preference for shade makes it less of a pest to cattle and horses in open pastures. Flies are on the wing in Florida from March to November, although the peak season is April through June. Williams (1971) studied biting habits of D.ferrugatus in British Honduras, but nothing comparable has been done in Florida.

Gary_C

Have you ever tried those deer fly patches against those yellow flies?

http://www.deerflypatch.com/

Those patches work for me and those yellow flies sure seem just like deer flies. An old DNR Forester told me about those patches and I have never gotten bit while wearing one of those patches and the first one he gave me had over thirty flies stuck to it before I retired it.

They are the only thing that seems to work on those nasty biters. DanG females anyway.  :D :D

SwampDonkey

I never slow down long enough for them flies to take hold. :D Working in clouds of them black flies, I just inhale'm and pick'm outta my teeth afterward. :D

WDH

I never knew there was such a patch.  Very interesting.

Mooseherder

I was on the Bee Line Hwy this morning when I passed these 2 Feral Hogs who were rootin' around the side of the road.  The Bee Line is 2 lanes each way seperated by a grass medium.
I had to turn around to get the video.  There was quite a bit of traffic in the morning.  They only bothered to leave because of the video. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IKMNkYfhZc
I called my SIL after taking the video because he travels this road also just a little earlier than me.  He had passed about 15 minutes earlier and had seen the same Hogs.

WDH

I was in Arkansas and Oklahoma today looking at wetland sites, and the yellow flies nearly ate me up.  Aggresive little twerps.

Tom

If hogs visit the right of way on a road you travel, remain very alert.  They will dash out into the road for no reason and can destroy an automobile. 

WDH
I hope those yellow flies followed you out there.  We could use a few less here. :D

They're dumb.  They don't pay much atttention to slapping, insect repellants or smoke and always seem to find a place to bite that you can't see.

WDH

The little buggers were totally unfazed by insect repellant.

Tom

The best thing I've found is a tight truck cab, rolled up windows and an air-conditioner.  :D

Radar67

The exhaust from a generator will keep them away. I was working out on the place today and they were thick as fleas on a mange dog, fired the generator up and they were gone.

WDH

It might have been the mange dog that did them in  :).

Tom

I don't know if it's the exhaust or the heat on the muffler, but yellow flies will swarm my tractor and hover around the muffler when it's running. Movement makes it worse.   When we drive a vehicle down the driveway, they swarm the outside mirrors so bad that you can hardly use them.  We drive real slow out the driveway and accumulate as many as we can, then we drive real slow down the hard-road until we come to the house of these people we don't like.  Then we speed up and leave the yellow flies there.  :D :D

It doesn't seem to cut down on the population of yellow flies at our house, but I like the idea that I'm making those folks miserable.  That'll show them for turning hogs loose.  :D

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Sounds like deer flies and moose flies to me. Only ours are black. There is also another fly with longer legs and blow flies, black flies and skeeters. With the saw going those deer flies buzz around like hornets and don't bite. I guess I don't stand still enough for them to find a landing pad. :D

I don't know if cutting spruce drives them or not, smells citrusy in red or black spruce. Ahhh the smell of the woods with with that saw exhaust. ;D :D :D

Burlkraft

I don't believe that I have ever seen a moose fly!   ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

DanG

Quote from: WDH on June 09, 2010, 11:14:50 PM
The little buggers were totally unfazed by insect repellant.

Danny, go to Walmart's Sports Dept and get some Repel.  It comes in different strengths, up to 40% Deet.  I've had good luck with it against yellow flies, as long as I cover myself well with it.  It will last all afternoon, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Quote from: Burlkraft on June 10, 2010, 08:10:38 AM

I saw a "PIG" fly.  Today.   :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Burlkraft on June 10, 2010, 08:10:38 AM

Trouble is, right of the bat, ya got no moose. :D

Gary_C

We've got moose here and I've not seen one fly. Sink up to their neck sometimes, but not fly.  ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

They must not grow large antlers over there, they act as kites ya know. :D

Mooseherder

Come across another Hog this morning on the Bee Line Hwy.
He looked a little smaller than the previous two from last week.
This was in the same vicinity though.
I turned around for another gander and got some video.
These Hogs stay on the side of the road when cars are going 70 miles an hour but take off when a car stops.
This one knew where the hole in the fence was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaE8VfdTUc

WDH

You can't take the swine out of a hog  :).

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Burlkraft

Who said ya can't teach a wild pig new tricks?  :D  :D  :D

CHARLIE

I'm a believer in Muskol 100% Deet.  Back in the 1980s and 1990s I used to go into the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area in northern Minnesota....usually the 3rd week of May.  One year when my son was in college, we couldn't get up there until the 2nd week of June. Huge mistake.  Black flies and skeeters.  The skeeters were so thick there wasn't more than an inch of space from one skeeter to another in any direction.  I became a believer of Muskol 100% Deet that trip. Hardly any bites but they still buzzed around and annoyed me.  I recommend it!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

CHARLIE

I received the following via e-mail. I don't know if it works or not but might be worth a try.  I know that I do use "Softner Sheets" on my plastic face shield to get rid of static electricity. It keeps the plastic from attracting dust.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bounce  This Along 

My  mail carrier told me that the U.S. Postal  service sent out a message to all letter  carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their  uniform pockets to keep yellow-jackets away. 

Use  them all the time when playing baseball and  soccer.  I use it when I am working  outside.  It really works.  The  insects just veer around you. 

1.    It will  chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them.   It also repels mice.

2.    Spread  sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers,  or cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from  entering your vehicle.

3.      It takes  the odor out of books and photo albums that  don't get opened too often. 

4.    It  repels mosquitoes.  Tie a sheet of Bounce  through a belt loop when outdoors during  mosquito season.

5.    Eliminate  static electricity from your television (or  computer) screen.

6.      Since  Bounce is designed to help eliminate static  cling, wipe your television screen with a used  sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.. 

7.    Dissolve  soap scum from shower doors.  Clean with a  sheet of Bounce.

8.    To  freshen the air in your home - Place an  individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang  in the closet.

9.      Put  Bounce sheet in vacuum  cleaner.

10.   Prevent thread from tangling.  Run a  threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce before  beginning to sew.

11.    Prevent  musty suitcases.  Place an individual sheet  of Bounce inside empty luggage before  storing. 

12. To  freshen the air in your car - Place a sheet of  Bounce under the front seat.

13.   Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan.   Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let  sit overnight, and sponge clean.  The  anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond  between the food and the pan.. 

14.    Eliminate  odors in wastebaskets.  Place a sheet of  Bounce at the bottom of the  wastebasket. 

15. Collect  cat hair.  Rubbing the area with a sheet of  Bounce will magnetically attract all the lose  hairs.

16. Eliminate  static electricity from Venetian blinds.   Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to  prevent dust from resettling. 

17. Wipe  up sawdust from drilling or sand papering.   A used sheet of Bounce will collect  sawdust like a tack cloth.

18.   Eliminate odors in dirty laundry.  Place an  individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a  laundry bag or hamper.

19.  Deodorize  shoes or sneakers.  Place a sheet of Bounce  in your shoes or sneakers  overnight. 

20.  Golfers  put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep  the bees away.

21. Put  a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent  before folding and storing them.  It will  keep them smelling fresh. 

22.  Wet  a Bounce sheet, hose down your car, and wipe  lovebugs off easily with the wet  Bounce.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

fishpharmer

Bill, I have heard of "cow dog"  now there is a "cow hog." 

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Charlie, Bounce must be looking for new sales revenue. :D

Burlkraft

Bounce does work for covering human scent when you are bow hunting  :D  :D  :D

And here I thought it worked for everything  :D  :D

Patty

Yea but, what if you don't like the smell of Bounce? I know, always a trouble maker.... ::)

All those perfumes in everything these days are a real irritant to some of us.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

jim king

To keep the deer out of my fruit trees in the yard in Wisconsin I used a motion detector light set above rabbit level and that set off a siren. It worked quite well.

ely

i am fixen to use a 280 rem  set on kill to get the deer out of my garden. they went from eating tomatoes and vines to eating squash plants. and the worst part is if they bite a tomato and it drops they just grab another one... too spoiled to even pick it up.

isawlogs

Eat the eater ..   8) 8)  My kind of thinking . Make a roast out of um .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

I saw a momma pig with her piglets on the side of the Turnpike just south of YeeHaw Junction yesterday.  Cars were traveling at the 80 mile per hour range.  This is the fourth time seeing hogs on the side of the road in one month.

Burlkraft

Them little ones make a nice meal   ;D  ;D

Mooseherder

Yabutt,, deese were even smaller Dan dat.  ;D
Maybe the size of a Pork picnic ham altogether.
You'd a been hungry after taking all the chittlin's out. :D

Raider Bill

My Son and I want to hog hunt sometime. He's taken up hunting in the past few years. I gave it up but never hunted hog. Make a good Father Son outting I think.
We clipped the wings on his chickens night before that was another first. He's raising a few in the city. Didn't think they would fly ;D  The "Old Man" [that would be me] knew about clipping wings  ;) weird how "old guys" sometimes have the answer as he gets older. 8)

SwampDonkey

Raider, reminds me of the guy who raised roosters they showed on PBS TV. And he did it in an urban setting, so the neighbors got their hackles raised when the roosters crowed before sunrise. Something similar I heard on the radio, a rooster got loose and took up residence in a guy's garage and crowed every morning before sun up. The rooster was not in the building all day, it was out free ranging around the neighborhood all day. About drove him crazy, but he finally got the rooster cornered and took it to a farm I think.  :D :D

My uncle had roosters over the years with the chickens and every one of them were nasty brutes. Spur'n and flying at your face and giving chase. If I was older I would'a fixed that right quick. Snap! But, maybe not. That meant cleaning and plucking along with it. :D

I can remember chasing beheaded chickens at Fred and Norma's when I was 6. We had'r fresh off the hoof. Norma had shelves of pickled eggs and sold fresh ones locally. Had little chicks in the spring she raised for the new line of chickens.

I'd like to live the 70's over again. :)

Raider Bill

He can't have roosters and only up to 10 hens. Not a lot of restrictions really considering it's the city.

WDH

My little brother went hunting on my property last evening (first day of firearm deer season), and he did not see any deer.  He did see this.  Called me up about dark and said that his truck was broke down and that he shot a big hog deep in the woods.  Helpless, he was.  I had to get the tractor and carefully snake through the woods to the creek where this specimen had been deposited.  Skidded out the hog to my place where butchery ensued.  He asked me if I wanted it, and I said NO!  I prefer domestic swine.  I leave the wild nasty ones to the uninitiated.  I have been rode hard and put up wet too many times to try and eat one of these scourges.  They can be real rank, tough, and taste nasty.

This one is about 250 - 275 pounds on the hoof.

Mooseherder

One less Hog rootin' around.  ;)

Mooseherder

A co-worker and I saw a Pig with a few piglets on Indiantown Road Wednesday.
I turned around for some video but they were headed into the woods.  I may have got some kinda obscure footage. Have to check it out.  Yesterday I noticed while walking in the yard sumpthin had been rootin' around and there was about 30 divits in the grass. ::)
I'm thinking Pigs.  Set up the useless Game cam just in case of returns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55obwodIGA

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Might be a little pig, but I'd guess an armadillo as my first choice.  If it was a pig, he was just sniffing around.  A root will open up a pretty good sized hole and lay the sod back.  I'm anxious to hear what the camera finds.  :)

ellmoe

Like Tom says (of course!). There was one spot that may have been caused by a pig, but the rest were definitely from our armor plated friend.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

isawlogs

Defend yourself ... eat um !!!

Marcel

Raider Bill

yep armadillo is my guess.

.22 sub sonic bye bye little digger.

Tom

Piggy on the half shell is good eating, I hear.

I ate one once.  ...might do it again one day.  ;D

SwampDonkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFZcMSfCmU

:D :D One of them little facets of history unknown about to most. ;D

Tom

So that's how the pigs got to Georgia. :P

SwampDonkey

Well, cough... in the straight sense.

:D

Thank You Sponsors!