iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Husky Husqvarna

Started by treefarmer87, May 16, 2010, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

Is a 576XP the same as my 2171? i priced one today w a 24" bar $800. is it any good? or should i get the 390XP?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

jteneyck

There isn't much difference from your 2171 to a 576XP, a couple of cc's; both are a lot smaller than the 390XP.  Take a look:

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/compare-xp-saws/?nid=166811,173028
http://www.tilton.usa.jonsered.com/node246.aspx

treefarmer87

which is better? the 576xp has newer features. i dont know which one i like better though . i want power to fell large trees, but i will still limb by hand. i dont want something to weigh me down.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

HolmenTree

treefarmer the 576XP Auto Tune is a different bird from the 372 or 2171. Completely different. Built tougher, smoother and alot more torque because of its X-torque [strato]setup and micro processor controls. The saw is always in tune no matter what temperature, altitude etc. I couldn't set it better myself if it had carb adjustment screws. Even when it runs out of gas it tunes its self for the lean condition right to the last drop of gas.
I got 3 of these saws and they all run flawless. I had 32''b/c on them to break them in cutting 24"-36" frozen spruce last winter and  they cut like a much bigger saw right out of the box brand new.
Give one a try, awesome power/weight ratio for a saw that size. I can't tell any weight difference  from it to my 372.
Willard.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

treefarmer87

i took your advice willard, i went out about an hour ago and bought a brand new 576XP at the saw shop. i looked @ the 390XP and it is a little too big for me.  i usually dont work on fri, but im goin to take a load tomorrow so i can try out my new saw. thank you guys so much for helping me ;)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

HolmenTree

Good to hear you made a sound decision treefarmer. Did you get the Auto Tune?
Since Husqvarna broke away from Electrolux about 4-5 yrs ago and are now on their own again, the new 576XP AT is ''their very own baby'' for the future.
When they were last on their own ending in 1978 they already had the 162 SE on the market in 1976. The 162  revolutionized the industry at the time. This was the "new generation" saw at the time. Stihl's "new generation" didn't come until 1984 with the underpowered 034. The power didn't come until 1989 with their 044. Husky already long had the 266 and 268. Husky /Partner had air injection over 20 yrs ago, it took Stihl almost that long to get it on their 441.
Its going to be interesting whats going to replace the larger Huskies in the future.
Willard.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

HolmenTree

Quote from: treefarmer87 on May 20, 2010, 10:43:37 PM
yea its a great saw
Just curious treefarmer did you get the auto tune model?

celliott

Holmen tree, you seem experienced with the 576 autotune.  I am curious, if you were to do say, a muffler mod on the saw, would the microprocessor still be able tune the saw correctly?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

treefarmer87

yes i got the auto tune model. i thinned about 2 acres of old growth poplar this morning with it it is a great saw more power and lighter than my 2171. it has no vibration what so ever.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 17, 2010, 11:11:12 PM
I hear the 390XP is even more smoother [anti-vibe] then the 395XP.

I believe that is true!

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 17, 2010, 11:11:12 PMI don't know about the Dolmar but I know you can't beat the air injection, ergonomics and anti-vibe that Husky has.
When a guy is making a living [or even just being serious] with a saw why in the hell would he bother buying a cheaper saw to save a couple hundred bucks? :o
Willard.

You sure are right about that - the only reason to consider the Dolmar is the weight.    :)
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: treefarmer87 on May 18, 2010, 08:32:14 AM
i have never owned a husky before. i have heard they are really good. i have had a sthil and i have seen the ms 660. it is a nice saw too. the saw shop in charlottesville va wants $1200 for it. the 390XP at the saw shop 2 mi up the road fr me is cheaper than huskys website MSRP.

You actually own a Husky!    :D :D 8) 8) 8)

The 2171 is a 372xp with different covers and a different handlebar on it!
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on May 18, 2010, 01:23:48 PM
Here is all 3 on paper comparison to help you out. 

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/compare-xp-saws/?nid=166789,166811,166828

Good job posting it, the problem is that Husky put several misprints in there...... ;)
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: boobap on May 19, 2010, 02:07:10 PM
I don't know a lot about Huskies, I don't mind them, just have never owned one...that being said, I was looking at the website between the 390 and the 385, and I couldn't believe the price difference for the "gain" between the two. The weight and HP gains are miniscule for a price difference of $110. Just my thoughts...

It looks like they are "dumping" the price on the 385xp to get rid of those that still are in the pipe-line. The 390xp is replacing it.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 20, 2010, 10:32:00 PM
Since Husqvarna broke away from Electrolux about 4-5 yrs ago and are now on their own again, the new 576XP AT is ''their very own baby'' for the future.
When they were last on their own ending in 1978 they already had the 162 SE on the market in 1976. The 162  revolutionized the industry at the time. This was the "new generation" saw at the time. Stihl's "new generation" didn't come until 1984 with the underpowered 034. The power didn't come until 1989 with their 044. Husky already long had the 266 and 268. Husky /Partner had air injection over 20 yrs ago, it took Stihl almost that long to get it on their 441.
Its going to be interesting whats going to replace the larger Huskies in the future.
Willard.

You sure are much more impressed by the X-torque/strato engine design than most others, but I can't prove you wrong.......... :-X

Husky already have had 95 and 118cc strato cuttoff saws for a while, so it would not be a surprice if they are working on chainsaw counterparts.
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: SawTroll on May 22, 2010, 08:12:03 AM

You sure are much more impressed by the X-torque/strato engine design than most others, but I can't prove you wrong.......... :-X

It always baffles me why people think the mere fact that Husky was owned by Electrolux somehow destroyed their quality. It's not like Electrolux suddenly forced Husqvarna to start substituting vacuum cleaner parts or something... They've made good saws all along.

Yes, they have introduced homeowner saws, which are not up to the standards of their pro saws, but not everyone needs a pro saw (or wants to spend the money for one when they only use it a couple of times a year.) It is a market Husky (and most other chain saw manufacturers) cannot afford to ignore.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jteneyck

Mc, I agree with your take on things.  Not everyone needs a pro saw.  It doesn't cheapen the brand for saw manufacturers to make saws targetted at homeowners; in fact, Stihl and Husky are very clear on their websites who their respective saws are intended for. 

Personally, I believe I need a pro saw for wood milling because of the application requirements.  I probably didn't have a choice actually at that cc value when I bought one, but even if I had I would have bought the pro saw.  For cutting 10 - 15 cords of firewood a year, however, I don't need a pro saw even though I would like to have one.   It's a choice I knowingly made and I was happy the saw manufacturers gave me both options.  The fact that Husky and Stihl offer homeowner type saws forces them to think about cost control which will carry over into their thinking about their pro saws, unless they have completely separate development teams.  While there is a danger that they could put some components or concepts from their homeowner saws into their pro saws, there is at least an equal probability that some of the components/concepts from their pro saws will be incorporated into their homeowner saws. 

treefarmer87

i agree too, not everybody is a logger, does milling, or does treework. some people need a smaller saw for firewood or ocassional use also. and the fact they offer a wide range of saws makes them more $$$.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

HolmenTree

Just got back from a 3 day camping trip with my family. Here in Canada today was a stat holiday... Victoria Day.
Someone earlier asked if the 576XP AutoTune could be muffler modded. Well my answer is I couldn't care less. I do residential tree removal and I want my saws as quiet as possible. Even my 18 yr old Stihl 066 since brand new I blocked off the 2nd exhaust outlet to quieten it up and save a few less trips to the gas can.
The only muffler modded saws I got are the  ones I use in speed cutting competitions.
If people spend more time on keeping their filing skills up and keep that puppy sharp the importance of muffler modding etc is no longer so important.

But yes people who use non-pro saws are more likely to muffler mod to make their saws sound like the big boys :D

Yes Husqvarna will be a better company now that they are solo again and restructured.
Hey treefarmer, doesn't that 576 auto tune run really nice?? Like I said earlier you couldn't tune the carb any better if it had adjustment screws, right?

Willard.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on May 22, 2010, 08:12:03 AM
When they were last on their own ending in 1978 they already had the 162 SE on the market in 1976. The 162  revolutionized the industry at the time. This was the "new generation" saw at the time. Stihl's "new generation" didn't come until 1984 with the underpowered 034. The power didn't come until 1989 with their 044. Husky already long had the 266 and 268. Husky /Partner had air injection over 20 yrs ago, it took Stihl almost that long to get it on their 441.
Willard.

Husky already have had 95 and 118cc strato cuttoff saws for a while, so it would not be a surprice if they are worling on chainsaw counterparts.
Hello Niko !! How are you doing my old friend?
Yes I'm definately impressed by Husqvarnas X-torque strato engine design on the 576 AT. I never would have found out if my Husqvarna dealer didn't give me 3 brand new 576XP ATs to take good care of "for free"!! In my winter off season I'm a director for Northern Manitoba Trapper's Festival and I organize and run the chainsaw event competitions. I have 3 events: Mens and Womens speed cutting and chainsaw carving. For years Stihl was my sponsor and they supplied a pair of 460s. I took a few years off and now Husqvarna is my sponsor and I now got 3 brand new 576XP AutoTunes for the events.
During my tree season at the moment I am breaking them in by running about 20 tanks of fuel through each of them. I'm only cutting hardwood with them to keep them clean and new looking. [no sappy dirty conifers] The 20% conifers I do cut I use my 346 or 395. Then for next year I'm going to buy the latest built 576XP AT for myself.
Check out my chainsaw events on our Trappers Festival website. Our festival is now almost 100 years old. My logs in my speedcutting events are 10"X10" white spruce and the carving blocks are 24"-36" diameter white spruce.
On the homepage click on "chainsaw events" on the sidebar.
www.trappersfestival.com

Willard.

HolmenTree

Hey treefarmer 87.
Give us an update on your new Husqvarna 576XP AutoTune.

Willard.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 26, 2010, 11:03:00 AM.... Check out my chainsaw events on our Trappers Festival website. Our festival is now almost 100 years old. My logs in my speedcutting events are 10"X10" white spruce and the carving blocks are 24"-36" diameter white spruce.
www.trappersfestival.com

Willard.

I did, looks like you had some fun!    :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on May 30, 2010, 08:23:20 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on May 26, 2010, 11:03:00 AM.... Check out my chainsaw events on our Trappers Festival website. Our festival is now almost 100 years old. My logs in my speedcutting events are 10"X10" white spruce and the carving blocks are 24"-36" diameter white spruce.
www.trappersfestival.com

Willard.

I did, looks like you had some fun!    :)
Yes we have alot of fun SawTroll. If your ever in Canada in February come to The Pas Manitoba and join in our chainsaw competitions. We'll make sure you'll have a really good time.
Willard 8)

treefarmer87

the saw has NO vibration at all i have cut with it for two weeks now and sharpened it only twice. it makes my job alot easier. i have moved to a new spot with alot of oak and thick pine. the beatles are getting into the pine and it is about 30 acres so i will have plenty to cut.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

John Mc

TreeFarmer -

Glad to hear your saw is working out so well for you.

You'll have to tell me your secret for chain life. I'm lucky if I can go a full day without sharpening, even if I manage to keep the chain out of the dirt and away from rocks. (Cutting hardwoods, mostly Maple, Beech, Oak.) I does vary depending on whether I'm bucking firewood or felling, but I guess that's to be expected -- I get in a lot more cuts in a day bucking up firewood than felling.

Of course I'm running smaller saws than you are, so a chain that is even slightly dull makes a big difference.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!