iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Metzler (Pittsburgh,Pa.), FF Member dies at 46

Started by Ironwood, May 15, 2010, 06:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

We have some bad news from Pittsburgh. One our pioneering Urban Forest guys was killed Thursday night by a "runaway", detatched trailer that came from a passer by in front of his shop in Pittsburgh. John spent many hours here on the Forum whilest starting his new business two years ago. His work was very creative, and I had the chance to collaborate on a few things and just offer some of my experience as he started his new endeavor a few years ago. He will be missed dearly here and please take some time to look at his work, it is a great legecy to his vision. I dont know what user name he used here, but he would occasionally come by looking for a grain of wisdom or info. John was a great networker and was creating a nice communtiy of like minded folks here in the City of Pittsburgh.

This is our third fatal accident regionally involving a detatched trailer in three years. Let be safe out there.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_681271.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10135/1058360-122.stm?cmpid=localstate.xml

Click on "blog" to see some great work in this next link

http://urbantreeforge.com/home.php

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Jeff

John went by johnmetz33 on the Forum.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=6838;sa=summary

Sadly, I've added his name to the Memoriam group of members that have left us to early.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

Thanks Jeff. He and I actually met here on the Forum and then a few days later he called and we got together in person.

Ironwood,
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DanG

This is just too sad!  What a terrible waste of a productive life :'(

Recently, there was a thread about breakaway trailer brakes, and the usefulness of them was questioned.  This would have been a good place for them.  Most(all) of the U-haul trailers I ever rented had surge brakes, which would have likely prevented this if they were working.  Of course, there is no substitute for making sure the trailer is properly secured and safety chains are in use.  I'm sure U-haul will pay a big settlement on this, but it is ultimately the driver's responsibility.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

That is too bad. Just never know what can happen to a life.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

A tragic and untimely death.

Our thoughts are with his family & friends.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LOGDOG

That is very,very sad news. A sobering reminder we need to have our house in order at all times. Time and unforeseen occurence can take anyone of us.

Make sure those hitches are latched, safety chains are in place, and loads within manageable limits of the trailer and towing vehicle you're using.

Ironwood

For sure on all points. Ironically I had a tree guy buddy (a differnet guy than the fella who got killed) who had borrowed another friends skidloader and trailer just before this accident. The tree guy was going to tow it across town w/ out a brake controller and lights on a piece of $%^& truck. I said why not just let me tow it w/ my rig safely and legally, he said yes. Then the next day this happens, I told him, "see man" you cant take this stuff lightly. He still didnt know how to tie it down safely and legally. He had just met John the previous week at my shop. This lack of respect for others makes me angry (to put it lightly)

Ironwood

DanG

Lack of respect for others is one thing, but lack of respect for the safety of others is another matter altogether.  Most of us here do dangerous things at times, and to stick your own neck out is a personal decision.  But to be so neglectful as to ignore all three safety devices on that trailer is beyond disrespect.  On every U-haul trailer, there is a wad of safety chains just waiting to be hooked to the truck.  That alone would have been enough to prevent the tragedy.  There is also a surge brake, which would have stopped the trailer if it had not been disabled.  That alone would probably have prevented the tragedy.  And, of course, there is a safety latch on the coupler, which would have prevented the need for the other two, if it had been deployed properly.  I cannot see any way that this was not the driver's fault, and he should be made to dig poor John's grave by hand and stand before it during the funeral! >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ironwood

JohnG28

I can attest that safety chains do their job.  Last fall I pulled our familys boat out for the winter.  Somewhere in the mix either I didnt latch down the trailer to the ball, or I did so loosely.  Safety chains were put on, everything seemed right, even walked around twice.  Well a mile or so up the road, hit a bump, and the trailer was no longer hitched to the truck.  But those chains held. Sure the boat swayed side to side a little, and its bow destroyed the trucks tailgate to the tune of almost $700, but nobody was hurt and no real loss of property.  Ill tell you, thats one of those once in a lifetime mistakes, and I sure was lucky not to have hurt anyone in doing so.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

MFinity

Ironwood

Went to the funeral, very nicely done, poetry, prose and heart felt words. Learned he was born the day JFK died, his parents named him John Fitzgerald after the President. Pretty cool. BIG family, 7 children (4 girls, three boys) and one half brother. All three brothers have passed. How rough for the family. He had really hit his "stride" in life, nice to see that. His interactions will have many folks looking for their "stride" as well, and isnt that something that is a great legecy for people we meet in our lives. Some absolutely great poetry and prose, and a story. How nice.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!