iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer lasers and UV light??

Started by BBTom, October 23, 2003, 06:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTom

I have alot of respect for Woodmizer and the tech guys there, but this one has me scratching my head.  I have been having a bit of problem with the laser on my LT40. It seems to quit about once every four to six months.  I was told this time that it was because I use the saw outside and the UV rays were killing the laser.  Now I happen to know that alot of lasers in use today put out UV light, and find it hard to imagine that what little UV gets into the lens of my LT40 could destroy the laser.  

Does anyone know something that has escaped me??  Should I find a lens cap for my laser whenever the sun shines??  

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Jason_WI

Hmmm......... UV killing the laser, now that's a strech. Sounds like an excuse for a design flaw.

I would bet that vibration from the motor is killing the laser diode circuitry. If the box isn't properly sealed for moisture then corrosion will kill it also.

Are these sealed units or are you able to take them apart??

If there are any tall components on the circuit board then vibration will cause failure of the solder joint or the lead of the part to break. All tall components should be mounted firmly with non corrosive RTV. Applying RTV to the base of the part that contacts the circuit board will prevent damage from vibration.

If moisture is getting into the circuitry then coating the board with silicone based conformal coating will prevent the moisture from corroding the leads of the parts and exposed traces.

Another possibility is that the power cable that supplies power to the laser is not properly strain reliefed. If the cable is subject to frequent bending then the strands of the wire can break over time causing an open circuit. High strand flexible wire and proper strain relief will prevent this from happening.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

BBTom

Jason,
 Those are all good concerns, but I think they have most of them covered.  The laser is made by Cemar Electro, from what I read they are one of the best. The laser mount is vibration dampened somewhat in the way that it mounts.   Everything is sealed as far as I can tell.  The power cable is routed so that there is no flexing at all.  

Maybe it is the vibration thing,   That Kubota purrs pretty nice, for a diesel, but there is only so much dampening they can do.  

Anyone else have good or bad info on those lasers, or am I the only one having a problem??
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Percy

I, regretably, did not include a laser when I purchased my new LT70. If I had, the warranty would have been for 2 years. Ive never heard of UV messin lasers....meybey there is somthin to it.... :P

BBTom,  do you notice a significant difference in production when its not working?? I have been pondering,  specially when cutting hardwood, how effective  a laser would be.(quicker setting of the toeboards, less physical measuring of every skinny little log.)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

BBTom

Percy,
since I took the mill they had in stock when I got mine, I got a laser on it, otherwise, I would not have ordered one.  BUT!!! now that I have used one, I would not want to run without it. I run a fair amount of time under roof and the laser can be seen much better there.  You are right about the leveling of the log, and seeing where the cut will go through. just having the visual of where the blade will enter the cut helps me alot.  I thought that it might just be me, due to the fact that I never had cut a board before getting this mill, but I let a friend use my mill and now he wants one for his mill ( he has used a LT40 for ten years)
IF you want one, and can get a bracket to mount it welded together, I would suggest that you might get better results from Cemar Electro CL-830 laser. If and when the warranty is gone on this CL-720 that woodmizer gets, that is what I will use.  twice the power . less cost.

Just so that you understand my feelings about the laser, I love it, and feel that it saves lots of time.  It also allows me to catch my goofs before cutting into the log.  I recommend it!

Mr._Logical

I too have had issues with my laser since day one....
I was told to check connections and they would replace it if it still did not work after that.  I intend to have a de-barker installed soon and expect to have it corrected then.  The people at Wood-Mizer have been great with the few problems I have had.  Have you talked with any of them about this problem?

Jeff

We have used lasers on our big circle mill for probably 18 years. We have periods of problems with them and then sometimes we will go 3 or 4 years without an instance. I think its the nature of the beast. Vibration is probably the main culprit for laser failure, at least as I see it. Our lasers are some of the first used in sawmill apps, so I am probably talkingout of turn. They are big bruisers. Probably 20 inches long and big around as a flashlight to cast a 15 foot line.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BBTom

Jeff B -- Yepper, those are a tad bit larger than these new ones.  mine are a shade under 3/4 inch in dia. and about 4 1/2 inches long.  in shade it throws a real nice 20 foot line.  I did redo the mounting of mine after the last one, and it doesn't vibrate much anymore, but I appreciate the input.

Mr Logical -- It was the Woodmizer guy that told me the UV rays were the problem.  I have always (in the past)had good luck with tech support at WM. I was talking to parts, and asked if they had problems with lasers and could they tie it to the diesels or some other commonality.  I just wanted to try to help make mine last longer.

Now I find out they don't stock any of them and have to wait for one to come from canada.  Oh Well, no company can be perfect.  They still rate pretty high on my list of good companies to deal with.  

Sven Christiansen

BBTom,

Odd. Somewhere, somehow there must have been some miscommunication.

Feel free to call us (1-800-525-8100) and ask for Rick Lauman.  He'll set things straight.

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

SawInIt CA

I have never had a problem with my lazer and I run a 42 Kubota Diesel. I would certainly fork out the $$$ for a brighter one.

sparks

Direct sunlight will only dim out the beam. UV will not hurt the laser we use. I would like to get your customer number and research the findings on the failed lasers. You can email me at rlauman@woodmizer.com with the information. If anyone has any electrical questions feel free to ask me.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

trey_w

WOW talk about customer service! :o  Two guys trying to solve the problem from a post on a website.  I had pretty much decided that I would buy a wood-mizer but if I had any doubts they're gone now. ;D  That kind of service is almost unheard of in today's world.
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

J_T

Wow had to read that twice. Unheard of now days.
Jim Holloway

BBTom

and that is why I respect WM support
They do come through. It is also why I was scratching my head before.  I do feel that it was ( as Sven says) a miscommunication.  

SawInit-- Cemarligne has one with twice the power that they say would be much better for ouside or bright locations.  It is the CL-830.

trey_w --  Yes they are great, and even better yet is the few times you really need to talk to them( in my experience).  I don't think you could possibly go wrong with a WM.

Thank You Sponsors!