iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a new axe handle

Started by sawbob011, May 14, 2010, 09:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawbob011

the handle on my favorite hatchet broke the other day and I have been trying to make a new one but have discovered only one thing. I suck at makeing axe handles. Im homping there is someone who could shape one out for me if I sent them the axe head and cracked handle. Its not your run of the mill hardwear store axe and I can no longer find a site that carrys the axe let alone spare handles so custom making one is the only way to go. any help is appreatiated.
Echo CS-400 started it all
011 AVT

Radar67

Here is a good post on how to make an axe handle.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29193.msg419872.html#msg419872

Practice makes perfect, keep on trying, you'll get it!  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Twist Marcel's (Isawlogs) arm.  If I remember, he is a master handle maker.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

I'd dropped a junk hickory for a neighbor out of her backyard and was salvaging what I could out of a crappy half rotten log.  First Hickory I've sawed and not an experience I'm in a rush to do again any time soon.

Anyway, I cut it to 2" x2"  for some handle stock,  band saw to shape, round over on a shaper,  and hit it with the drawknife, sanders,  and scrapers.  I really am getting to like what hand scrapers can do.

Couple of pics.  The one sledge handle is close to 4'. I like the leverage and balance it gives and the knob on the end.  Note the overstrike protection built into it.  Hickory makes a good handle!

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Weekend_Sawyer

Very nice handles. I would not want to be holding the spike while you drive it in with that 4' sledge!

Me "When I nod my head you hit it"
You "Well ok but it's probably gonna hurt"
;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Lud

I thought it was the wives that were supposed to hold the spike ?? ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Weekend_Sawyer

Wish Ida known that when I was married   ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

I've made a few axe handles from hard maple. I just used the pattern off a handle I was replacing and whittled them out with an axe and smooth it up with a spoke shave. It just takes practice. Make it a little tight if the wood is not well dried and set it aside to dry further, then carve some more to fit. Make a split end for wedge. Good to go. ;D Our traditional handle wood around here was Ostrya virginiana.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I think Lie-Nielsen uses a lot of hophornbeam too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

"What you talkin' 'bout", Swamp Donkey.   They don't have any ostrich wood in Virginia.

barbender

There has to be a story behind all of those scientific names :) I think you're talking about what we call Ironwood up here.
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Ostrya virginiana is American Hophornbeam.
Carpinus caroliniana is hornbeam, ironwood, blue beech.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

In New Brunswick, farmers call it hop-hornbeam and foresters call it ironwood. Thus, the use of latin. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!